Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Thank you, Scarleteen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank you, Scarleteen
pluot
Neophyte
Member # 53820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pluot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in 7th (so, about 12 or 13) grade when this conversation took place.

Dad: Have you had a sex ed class in school?
Me: Um, no, that is next year, I think.
Dad: OK. Just checking. You probably know more than us already, anyway. ("Us" refers to my parents)

So, this was the sex talk I got from my parents. (Seriously.)

The problem is that, at the time, I DIDN'T know more than my parents. I had a very basic understanding of body parts and, more or less, how they worked, but I wanted to know more. I needed to know more. I was curious. I had begun to notice that sex and sexuality were all over the place - in TV shows, movies, magazines, advertisements, tucked into grown-up conversations, jokes...I knew it existed, but I didn't know how to get access to the information.

The timing is a bit hazy, but around that time, I found Scarleteen.

I read articles.
I read and posted on the message boards.
I re-read articles.
I began to learn some language and attitudes about sex, sexuality, and consent.
I had a safe place and an internet community that did not judge me or make me feel weird or ashamed or abnormal about thinking I was bisexual (later gay, now queer).

Now, I have come full circle. I am 25 and (as I write this), I am putting off/finding resources for a piece I am writing for a sex ed curriculum that will soon be implemented into young adult faith communities in the metro area where I live. I stumbled across Scarleteen and have, literally, been glued to it for the past few days.

Again, I read some articles.
I checked out the message board.
I re-read some articles.
I understand and actively use the ideas and language presented about sex, sexuality, and consent.
I am so happy to see how much Scarleteen has grown since I stopped visiting it regularly (probably in my late teens).

I just wanted to let everyone know: This is an amazing resource and it, quite likely, changed my life.

I am excited to report that I tell my parents all about the sex-positive sex ed work that I am doing and they seem genuinely excited for me! My dad is baffled by the idea of enthusiastic consent (he thinks it "takes the fun out of it" - I assure him it doesn't, but struggle somewhat giving him examples that are appropriate for the boundaries of our relationship).

Thank you, Heather (and volunteers!). You planted the seeds of sex-positivity in a teenagers mind. Thank you, Scarleteen.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

Can I ask if you've looked into Our Whole Lives, the sexuality education curriculum put out by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ?

It's a full church year comprehensive sexuality education and it is, to put it mildly, basically the most awesome thing ever.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pluot
Neophyte
Member # 53820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pluot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I have looked into and been a bit trained in OWL!

We are using parts of it, but tailoring the general curriculum for Jewish young adults.

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, have you teamed up with The Religious Action Center for Reform Judaism?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pluot
Neophyte
Member # 53820

I don't think so - I'm not heading the team, so I am not 100% certain. But I also think the RAC is a little more conservative with their sex ed messages than we, as a group, tend to be (or, really, want to be).
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Really? Last year I went to a conference put on by the UUA, the UCC and the RAC to campaign for the REAL act. the conference actually took place in the RAC and everyone there was hugely supportive of OWL and the REAL Act (responsible education about life).

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank YOU for such a lovely thank you! How exciting to hear about the work that you're doing, too! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pluot
Neophyte
Member # 53820

CoatRack (/Andy?)-

Again, I could be completely wrong about any teaming up with the RAC, but I haven't heard anything about it and their presence in Boston isn't huuuge. So...I'm not sure on that front.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.