Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Twitter Feed for You?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Twitter Feed for You?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since there are so few younger voices on Twitter, but a whole lot of adults who talk ABOUT young people and sex education, YA sexuality, I'm wondering if any of you might be into a bit of an experiment.

If I set up a twitter feed expressly for Scarleteen users under 25 to tweet about these issues, is that something any of you would want to participate in?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annabel Lee
Neophyte
Member # 45694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annabel Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, yes!
Posts: 8 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
euterpe42
Neophyte
Member # 38533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for euterpe42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely!

--------------------
Do not interrupt the poet in the middle of inspiration....

Posts: 5 | From: CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else? Two users really isn't going to cut it. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cthulhu_hungers
Neophyte
Member # 47022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cthulhu_hungers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd participate. I've been meaning to set up a twitter account.
Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Great to know! We'll keep this going and if we can gather a few more folks, I'll set it up! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

FYI, we're getting this started today!

http://twitter.com/STSpeaks

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add, anyone that is interested please email me (karynATscarleteenDOTcom) and we'll get you set up with the password.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a bit more info for those of you that think you may want to participate. These guidelines will be posted somewhere on the main site as well, and may evolve a bit over time as we see what works and what doesn't with this account, but for now:

Purpose
This twitter account is an opportunity for our users to get their voices heard through a new medium. Volunteers & staff will be updating occasionally, highlighting quotes from posts at our message boards, but hopefully the bulk of tweets will come from users directly - I’m imagining this as an informal, 140-character version of the “In Your Own Words” section of the main site.

Guidelines
* Perhaps obviously, this account is ONLY for users and readers of Scarleteen, so please keep the password to yourself. If you know of someone who might be interested in participating, ask them to email me or leave a message here, or if they have a personal twitter account already, they can send a direct message to @Scarleteen.
* Keep it clean. Just like at the boards, please, no swearing and no otherwise offensive language. This twitter account is a safe space for everyone who uses it, just like the boards, and whatever you tweet needs to be work-safe and PG-13.
* If you post a link, please make sure that whatever you’re linking to is also work-safe and PG-13, and is in line with Scarleteen’s mission and site policies as a whole. (Need a refresher on our guidelines & policies? You can have a read through those here: http://www.scarleteen.com/user_guidelines_privacy_policy)
* Please stay on topic - while you may want to share with the world how adorable your cat is, or let everyone know that you’re super-excited about your upcoming trip, this isn’t really the place for that. The idea of this twitter feed, as I said above, is that it’s a sort of quick, 140-character version of our “In Your Own Words” section, so if you need some guidelines per content, check that out. (If you want a twitter account for yourself for that sort of content, they’re free, and you can set one up easily to tweet about whatever your heart desires.)
* To keep things tidy and avoid conflict, please don’t tweet replies to other twitter users, even if they say tweet a reply to the STSpeaks account. Things can get very complicated very quickly with more than one person using a single account, so to make it easy for everyone involved, tweet your thoughts but don’t engage in conversation. (One example of a twitter account that does not reply, but only posts original tweets, is @genderfork.)
* See something on the boards someone else has said that you’d like to tweet? Please put it in quotes and use the hashtag #stboards at the end.
* Obviously, twitter guidelines apply to this account, so spend some time familiarizing yourself with those before you start tweeting.
* Not familiar with how twitter works? Take a bit of time and explore the site, get a feel for how it works, play around a bit until you get the hang of it.
* Lastly, as with anything on the internet, privacy is an issue. Please don’t post any personal details, phone numbers, email addresses, or photos of yourself - just like at the boards, don’t tweet anything that anyone could use to easily identify you.

For now, too, I think I'd like to ask anyone who participates not to re-tweet items from other feeds - this is supposed to be about your voices, not anyone else's.

[ 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

We've got three participants so far....would love to get more of you involved! Please email me if you're interested.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.