Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What have you been reading?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What have you been reading?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often, summer provides more time for books, and I'm always interested in what y'all have been reading.

So, anyone read anything lately that knocked their socks off? have any books set aside for your summer reading you're excited about?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading the ''Twilight'' book series and I've now started the ''The girl with the dragon tattoo'' book trilogy (the Millenium serie) which is just freaking awesome.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's winter here, but reading is awesome any time. While it doesn't get too cold where I am, it's still a good time to snuggle up with my partner, a cup of tea or hot chocolate, a cosy blanket and a good book.

Two of my favourite books recently have been "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai, and "Sweetness in the Belly" by Camilla Gibb. Generally I have a few books going at once - at the moment those are "Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood (LOVE her), a collection of Stephen Fry's work and an anthropological work called "Birth on the Threshold" by Cecilia van Hollen.

Terry Pratchett is one of my all-time favourite authors: fantasy combined with comedy is great. Usually though, those are books the boyfriend reads to me or I read to him; they're better when read aloud. (Yeah, I'm 25, and I still get bedtime stories [Big Grin] )

[ 06-18-2009, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf right now, which is interesting with regard to early 20th century feminism; as someone who's about to start an English major, I find the way she uses language fascinating too (I could go on, but I won't). [Wink]

Mostly I've been reading poetry the last few months - Boris Pasternak, Carol Ann Duffy, Simon Armitage, Linton Kwesi Johnson, to name a few. I've started to get really interested in dub and beat poetry, but then, that doesn't really qualify as reading now, does it?

And it beats me where you find the time, but I know you're an avid reader yourself, Heather, so I feel obliged to ask the same question?

[ 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: patrickvienna ]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently read the Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker and it scared the pants off me [Smile] It's a good thing, I assure you. I LOVE horror and if it scares me, you know it's terrifying.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan so I'll probably putter my way through a couple more of his works this summer. I plan on rereading Misey and Lisey's Story. Also I plan to read the Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris since I love the movie and figure I should probably read the book XD

As for non-horror genre stuff, I want to reread Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movie comes out! I think I might also reread Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. DEFINITELY a must read. It's amazing- seriously.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrick: I'm actually a little between books right now, which is some of why I posted this.

But I did recently finish Sherman Alexie's YA novel (love him, so great he did a YA) "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," which my friend Ellen illustrated brilliantly, and loved it to bits. Also recently finished my favorite Buddhist writer Thich Nhat Hanh's "Teachings on Love," and reread Octavia Butler's "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents" both of which I have read way too many times, but they never stop blowing my mind. I am near the end of "I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage" which I particularly appreciate.

Have been trying to get into the His Dark Materials trilogy, but I just can't, to save my life.

(I find the time two ways: a) I take public transit when I'm not biking, so I read on the bus -- my commute on busses to and from the clinic is around two hours each way, so LOTS of time those days -- and b) it's how I put myself to sleep at night.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hithere
Activist
Member # 37775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hithere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lolita is an amazing book-disturbing but fantastically written.

Water for Elephants is amazing.

I'm also reading A Place of My Own

Posts: 164 | From: Somewhere in the US | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I love Sherman Alexie! The last thing I read from him was Flight, so I think I'll have to pick up a couple of his books from the library whenever I have time. By any chance, Heather, since you both live in Seattle, have you ever seen him give a reading in person? I've heard he's really amazing.

Lately I've been a little hooked on books on podcasts. I finished the Harry Potter books, and now I really miss Jim Dale talking about wizards and you-know-who while I'm drifting off to sleep. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find someone who has his talents when it comes to audiobooks (free ones, anyway).

Last night I started on Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin. I've never read erotica before, but I found what she wrote at the beginning of the book to be very interesting: without poetry, sex is boring and repetitive. I'm also reading Dave Eggers' What Is the What, though that's for a course I'm taking in the fall (but it looked interesting so I figured I'd get a head start). I'm planning on reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, Underworld by Don DeLillo (the guy who wrote White Noise), Eva Luna and The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I like magical surrealism a lot), People’s Movements, People’s Press: The Journalism of Social Justice Movements by Bob Ostertag, and V by Thomas Pynchon. But we'll see how many of those I actually get to read before fall starts. [Wink] I always tend to pick a bunch of books but then only make it to a couple of them because of other stuff I have to do or because I pick a completely different book to read.

I did just get a library card to the public library (not sure why, but I haven't had one since middle school, I guess because I started buying books or receiving them as gifts more often then), so I may find some wonderful new ones to read. It's a little daunting sometimes, though. With online catalogues, it's hard to find something unless you know exactly what you want. If you just want to browse, it's more difficult because there are just so many stacks, so many rooms, so many floors. But then, I do love seeing all those books. [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Orca: oddly enough, when I saw Alexie read it was in Minnesota, not here in Seattle. [Smile] And yes, he's marvelous.

So exciting you're reading Marquez! IMO, that's one of the most important and amazing books ever written. Andoddly enough, I think I can trace what I wound up doing with my life and work directly back to my reading of Nin in high school. In fact, the partner I'm with again from college still has my deeply loved, dog-eared copy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love reading, so I especially like this topic! It's interesting seeing what other people are reading as well. [Smile]

In addition to books, I regularly read a few newspapers (WashPost, NY Times, some foreign sources and a local one) and magazines (Bitch, New Yorker, Oxford American, trade publications, etc.). Blogs are a guilty pleasure of sorts, both in terms of more serious or academic ones such as RH Reality Check to hobby blogs (crafts, clothing, home decor and more) to those of people I know personally... and don't know from Adam! I enjoy snail mail and email, regularly sending and receiving novel-length messages from friends, although I tend to get behind in replying quickly. [Wink]

As for actual books, I just finished a YA fiction novel called Massive by Julia Bell. It's about a young British girl who develops an eating disorder as a reaction to all the disorder in her life; it's really tough at times but a good read and a good look at intergenerational eating disorders. (And, thankfully, there's a happy end of sorts!)

I've also gotten on a German literature kick lately. An all-time favorite of mine is the classic novel Elective Affinities [Die Wahlverwandschaften] by Goethe that may be 200 years old but whose portrayal of relationship dynamics and insightful commentary is so modern and so fascinating. (You can read the whole English translation as a Google book!)

A more modern German novel I've been reading on and off for the past year is Wetlands [Feuchtgebiete] by former German music television VJ Charlotte Roche. (So far, the English translation has been released in the UK but not the US.) As fascinating as the topic may be -- the novel deals with female sexuality, hygiene, societal expectations, divorce and more, click on the title for an in-depth description-- I just haven't been able to really get into it. Hopefully this will change soon!

(Ooh, I was just reading about Julia Bell's latest novel, Dirty Work and plan to get my hands on it soon!)

[ 06-20-2009, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently on a David Leavitt kick. I read "The Lost Language of Cranes," "The Page Turner," and "Martin Bauman, or a Sure Thing."

The first two were my favorites. "Cranes" takes place in the mid-eighties and is about a twenty-something gay man, Philip, who is beginning to come out to his parents, and Philip's parents' marriage disintegrating as it comes to the surface that Philip's father is a deeply closeted gay man. "The Page Turner" is about an (18 year old, gay) aspiring pianist's coming of age, and his brief affair with an older concert pianist.

I also just read two cool graphic novels: "08: A Graphic Diary of the Campaign Trail" by Michael Crowley and Dan Goldman, and "No Girls Allowed: Tales of Daring Women Dressed as Men for Love, Freedom and Adventure" by Susan Hughes and Willow Dawson.

Right now I'm reading "Butch is a Noun" by S. Bear Bergman, which is awesome.

In my to read pile:
"Dilemmas of desire: teenage girls talk about sexuality" - Deborah Tolman
"Aquamarine" - Carol Anshaw
"The Force of Gravity" - R.S. Jones
"The Hand-Sculpted House: A Practical and Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage" - Evans, Smith & Smiley

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SUstudent2011
Neophyte
Member # 43861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SUstudent2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to read but I haven't had much time here lately as I'd like to have.

I'm currently reading "My Sisters Keeper" By Jodi Picoult.

The movie actually inspired me to begin this book. I have not seen the movie, just from the previews. In high school, Picoult's books were very popular with all my friends but I never read any then. After starting this book (I'm only on the 3rd chapter) I can tell this will be my new favorite author.

After I read the book, I'm excited to watch the movie. I heard the book is better, but that is usually how most movies work out.

Posts: 17 | From: away from the home. | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I read the Memory Keeper's Daughter, and Rollback.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading is my favourite thing, not that you could tell from my post, but I am exhausted.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherman Alexie.. what a beautiful human being. So wonderful! I suggest watching his PBS interview. He's a big inspiration to fellow weird kids!

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBexExpress
Neophyte
Member # 44524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBexExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orca:

Last night I started on Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin. I've never read erotica before, but I found what she wrote at the beginning of the book to be very interesting: without poetry, sex is boring and repetitive.

Isn't it amazing? My copy is looking a bit worn out at this point [Razz] I have a massive lit-crush on Nin.

A lot of my reading has been for university lately, most recently Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang for a unit called Popular Fictions, Popular Culture. I enjoyed it, and it's actually the first time I've read anything about Ned Kelly (I know, I'm a disgrace to my native land), so it's been interesting.

I've just been re-reading Jacqueline Carey's (lot's of Careys!) Kushiel's Dart, a book that I can't recommend enough, especially to people who can handle some fantasy elements, and who are interested in a book with refreshing view on sexuality.

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading... nothing much actually, mostly I'm just working my way through Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (I'm really into CLAMP manga and anime right now), I managed to damage my copy of Tales from the Closet so I'm still mourning that, I think one problem is that apart from graphic novels I never really know what's worth reading (this thread is throwing up some good suggestions), I think I will try and read today, alongside my watching stuff and listening to music. I have got some interesting stuff in my reading pile.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
initium
Neophyte
Member # 43943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for initium         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil Gaiman came to Singapore recently - how awesome is that?! I didn't manage to see him, but I got some books signed by friends who did attend his meet-the-people session, and I recently re-read Anansi Boys to get into the Writers' Festival mood!
Posts: 35 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to read so much when I was younger, but now I just can't find much that I'm interested in! [Frown] So all I've really read in the last few months (besides textbooks, which can actually be *gasp* quite interesting!) is Jonathon Gathorne-Hardy's Kinsey biography (love it!) and a few Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics.
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Been finishing Julia Child's "My Life in France." It's heaven. I love her. Such zeal for everything. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.