Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » college major help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: college major help
SUstudent2011
Neophyte
Member # 43861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SUstudent2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently, my major is Early Childhood Education (Associates degree). I really love working with kids, and I always knew that was something I wanted to do. I'm enrolled in a class where it's required we do an externship at a day care and I have to complete 60 hours of work. I just have been dreading going and everything. I'm thinking maybe working with kids is not for me now if I'm already dreading it. I'm afraid I'll spend too much time into this and later on change my mind about it and waste money going to school for something I may not really like doing after all.

I've talked to my Advisor, and she recommended changing my major to Business Management and I could always get my Bachelors in education if I decide I want to follow the career path of a teacher.

I wanted to get others opinions about this. Have you ever decided your career major wasn't for you and how did you pick the right one?

Also, what are some jobs I could actually get with an Associates in Business Management?

Posts: 17 | From: away from the home. | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there, done that...I spent 2.5 years pursuing a degree in engineering (which I hated and made me miserable) before switching into a social science that I loved (in which I'm now pursuing a PhD). So I've been there...

Let me ask you this...do you actually want to study Business Management? Also, what is it about the Early Childhood Ed program that you don't like right now? Is it just the daycare part? Also, how far away from graduation are you right now?

I guess my thought would be that if Business Management isn't something you actually WANT to do, then you're not in any better position by pursuing that.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you gone to the site at all yet? Going for the first time can be scary, as I've heard from people majoring in that. I'm a Writing major myself, but I've done volunteer work with kids and I always got the jitters beforehand. Why not try going for say, a week and then see how you like it? It's difficult to tell how much we'll enjoy something like that before we actually try it, and if this is something you've wanted to do for a long time, why not go first before throwing in the towel? [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SUstudent2011
Neophyte
Member # 43861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SUstudent2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been to the day care. Back in high school, I worked there as a part of student teaching so I'm use to their procedures, the employees and also some of the children there.

I've already withdrawn from my Externship and decided to do it next quarter if I decide to stay with this major.

I'm not too sure what all I can do with Business Management. I assume management of course, but is that all I could do with that major?

As I said before, I've wanted to be a teacher, but being a Director at a Day Care has interested me as well. Having a Business in Management would also be helpful I believe but my current major could do so as well.

I've made my decision to get my Associates Degree and then move on to my Bachelors degree for sure, but I just have to make my mind up on what to do.

Would having a Associates degree in Business Management really affect anything if I decide to go into the education field and get my Bachelors degree for Elementary Education?

This is my 3rd quarter and my expected graduation date is in May 2011.
It may be set back a little since I will have to re-take my externship eventually.

[ 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: SUstudent2011 ]

Posts: 17 | From: away from the home. | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're wondering what you can do with a given major, one of the best people you can talk to is on of your instructors. They are usually in the know about what recent students in their classes have gone on to do. Plus, because of the economy there are a ton of people out there who are in positions and fields that vary wildly from their training.

Do you have any professors that you feel you could talk to about this? Throughout my education, every time I've had a "crisis of faith" as I call it one of the first things I do is talk to faculty. Perhaps someone in your current program could talk with you about your concerns now...and maybe try speaking with someone in business about what you can do with that. Advisers are great, but sometimes a faculty member can be more help in situations like this.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I really love working with kids, and I always knew that was something I wanted to do
Did you like doing the day care back in high school? Is it possible that you have been dreading the daycare because your stressed out from college? Would it be possible to switch your externship to one in an elementary school setting? I mean school settings are much more structured and you get to do teaching rather than babysitting. If you've felt that way about working with kids for such a long time I think you should really think about this.

As far as the business management goes I would think that it would help you more if you were planning on teaching high school or votech. But as KittenGoddess said the best people you can talk to about this are your instructors. But in the mean time I did find some possible careers for a major in business management on a university website:

quote:
Business-management jobs occur in a variety of organizations: manufacturers, hospitals, charities, hotels, government, and so forth. Among the many types of occupations are:

* Project manager
* Small business manager
* Human resource administrator
* Management Analyst
* EEO officer
* Regional operations manager
* Production manager
* Retail store manager
* Territory sales manager
* Hospitality manager

Source

[ 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Kaydee ]

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cthulhu_hungers
Neophyte
Member # 47022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cthulhu_hungers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did I know my major was for me? When, during finals week, I rewrote a 10 page double-spaced paper into a 19-page single-spaced paper, not to get an A (I already had that), but because I just found the subject matter so fascinating.

You'll know it's the right major when you go that extra mile because you love it, not for the grade.

Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.