Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Amnesty International Global Write-a-thon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amnesty International Global Write-a-thon
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone up for us doing this as a group from Scarleteen: http://www.amnestyusa.org/individuals-at-risk/global-write-a-thon/page.do?id=1108452

I have very fond memories in college and in the year after high school of sitting at tables, doing letters by hand for Amnesty International. I've been a member and contributor to AI now for nearing 20 years. They do amazing things in the world, always have, including some awesome work with domestic violence.

To give you some background on what letter writing for them is all about:

quote:
A mother in the Congo fights against a military responsible for assaulting her children.

A priest in Eritrea is humiliated - stripped of his role in the Church by a government violating basic laws and principles.

A teacher in Myanmar is serving life in prison simply for criticizing the authorities.

Stories like these deserve happy endings. Help write those endings by joining the Global Write-a-thon.

These cases and others will be the focus of Amnesty International's upcoming Global Write-a-thon on December 5 - 14, 2008. In the days surrounding International Human Rights Day on December 10, tens of thousands of caring people around the world will take part in the world's largest letter writing event. Please join this worldwide effort. Be a part of the Global Write-a-thon.

During last year's Global Write-a-thon, people in more than 30 countries sent over 150,000 letters, postcards and emails on behalf of prisoners of conscience, human rights defenders, and others at risk. At least three of the prisoners were freed because of your support.

You might remember that this time last year, student leader Zmitser Dashkevich was in prison in Belarus for his peaceful political activities. Just weeks after his case was included as a Global Write-a-thon action, authorities released Zmitser.

That's the power of this event. Help make this year's Global Write-a-thon even stronger!

Last year, your letters made a difference. Now others need your help. Register today for Amnesty International's Global Write-a-thon and make a real difference in someone's life.

We could share letters written here at the site, perhaps even organize an online chat while we do this, the works. I'll do this myself, regardless, but I'd love for us to participate as a pledged group. If I hear back from at least 10 of you, I'll put us in as a group.

Any takers?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I group I am a part of on campus did this last year, it was a really great experience! I would love to be a part! Everyone else should too...Seriously!
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else? Come on you guys, it's good karma and would look good as volunteer work on a resume!

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.