Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Words with powerful meanings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Words with powerful meanings
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could pick a word, or group of words, to describe yourself, your meaning of life, or an incident that changed who you are, what would they be? Share your words and stories here.

I see that a lot of users here have quotes or sayings in their signature. Some of them seem to have a powerful underlying meaning behind them. I thought this would be an interesting topic.

Mine is in my signature.

It's a song by Atreyu, one of the bands I like to listen to. I think it describes me and my life because I've been through so many rough times, down so many rocky roads, but no matter what life throws at me, I'm here, standing tall. My life is a solid, rock formation. It may have cracks and broken, crumbling pieces on the surface, but deep inside, it's solid as stone.

Another quote I kind of came up with myself is:

You can't change life, only the way you live it.

So very true! Things happen, but there will always be a brighter day. I used to think that when something traumatic happened that things would never be better. I've learned to deal with the things life throws at me differently now.

Just thought this would be fun. I'm interested to see what you all have to say.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eonone
Neophyte
Member # 13596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eonone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My motto, I suppose, is the Beatles' "All you need is love; love is all you need."

I've found that love- having it, searching for it, losing it, searching for it again, or keeping it and holding on for dear life- is what makes life, at least for me. I could be poor and unknown and completely happy as long as I were surrounded by people that love me. I think love is the cycle of things. It may be romantic, but I don't think it's unrealistic, so long as you balance it with everything else.

But that's still what I think is most powerful. I don't know how I'd live without it.

...my signatures, though, are always Homer Simpson. Not really all that enlightening. [Wink]

--------------------
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

Posts: 24 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have fallen in love with the book "Atlas Shrugged" which, in very very general terms, talks about doing things for yourself, and not waiting for others to make things happen for you. That is very much my attitude on life (or where I would like to be. I'm getting there). Anything is possible IF you want it to be. That's why many people think that "anything is possible" is crap.

Ayn Rand, the author of the books says it best:

quote:
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Those are the two types of people in life: ones that celebrate life, and those that just complain (the ones that use the words "if only" and "but" and "I don't know" and "it's not my fault, I can't help it" and "I can't" all the time). Be truthful about which type you are: think about which type of person you want to be and how to accomplish it, and surround yourself with people that you aspire to be like!

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.