Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Sleep Tapes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep Tapes
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know this isn't directly related to sexuality, but you guys all seem smart and knowledgeable, and I don't have any better ideas. If you'd suggest a place I could more likely get a good answer:

Does sleep working (Hypnopaedia) actually work? I have a bunch of French MP3's for practicing and learning french - you can find them online cheap/free, so I bought several thousand hours worth. Would playing them as I sleep actually help me learn french/improve my vocabulary at all, or is it just a legend?

There are a significant number of websites that suggest that it is possible, citing tests - but they never explain the mental neuro-biology. And they are often selling things. There are some sites that insist all it does is keep you from getting a good night's sleep.

Thanks

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Dusts off neurology notes*
I find this stuff fascinating, I want to specialize into it as soon as possible when I go to med school. Anyways...
The brain will register stimuli, particularly sound stimuli, while you are asleep, and there is a lot of evidence that listening to notes while asleep is conducive to recall. Although it depends on whether or not it suits you: there's something called a Gardner test that will help you decide.
The problem with this is that it causes a phenomenon known as 'junk sleep', where the quality of sleep is reduced, BECAUSE of the continued exposure to stimuli. So you'll sleep for 8 hours and feel like you got 6.
Hypnopaedia is no substitute for waking study of a discipline, and is not advisable for long periods. It's useful mainly for improving recall during exam periods.
It is not the same as hypnotherapy, where the tapes are designed to minimise the junk sleep effect, and the repetition of a short idea (such as 'don't smoke') provides not only excellent recall but a kind of mental programming.
Hope some of this helps, Ikeren. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the biology part, but for me, if I play tapes/videos/whatever while I'm sleeping, I hear it in my dreams. (keeping in mind I have strange, often horror-dreams that I generally remember. There have been many times when a movie will be playing and I'll wake up with phrases in my head.

Maybe I should try brushing up on my French. [Smile]

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.