Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Research Paper Topics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research Paper Topics
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright so I am in my senior year of high school and I have to start writing a 15 page position paper soon. I really want to do something that will have to with my major in college (human sexuality), but I'm kinda stumped. So I was wondering if you guys could post a few topics and maybe create a mini outline for where I could go with this paper.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, why don't you think about some parts of human sexuality that particularly pique your interest, and/or where you think your unique voice could really add something to the cultural conversation?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in human sexuality in general, I'm just not sure what I could get 15 pages out of or what exactly to expand on. I thought about doing something on sexual orientation & gender identification but I'm not sure how to make everything work especially since it has to be 15 pages. I'm just stressed I suppose.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you say more about what the assignment is? Is it more personal or historical, etc.? What kind of sources do they expect you to use?

Re: sexual orientation and gender stuff-- what angles are you thinking about? Cultural responses to? Activism? Discussing current/different perspectives on gender? Political/social issues? (Marriage, workplace discrimination, violence, GSAs...) A certain segment of queer history?

15 pages can feel like a lot, but it really is doable, and sexuality is a rich topic. [Smile]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

The assignment is just a plain old research paper that I have to do to graduate I can basically do whatever I want with it. Basically I have to come up with a thesis and come up with 15 pages of essay to prove it, that's kinda why I'm stuck. As far as sources go we are supposed to use databases for the most part but as long as the source is creditable I can use it.

What I was thinking with the sexual orientation stuff was an exploration of the different orientations, cultural responses to, and the public opinion on them. However I don't know what kind of a thesis I can create from that or where to start. I hate English =/

[ 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Kaydee ]

--------------------
- Kaydee

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 pages isn't very much for tackling all of that about sexual orientation. That sounds more like a book to me than a paper.

So, can you narrow down to perhaps an AREA of ways people identify their gender and orientation and how people or media respond to that?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.