Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Make up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Make up?
Hohum
Activist
Member # 29073

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hohum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you ladies wear make up?

Do any of you feel like you HAVE to wear it?

Do you wear it just for fun?

What are some of your favorite products?

I feel like I am prettier or look better when I take the time to put it on, but I don't feel like I have to wear it. I might be pushed to wear it more if I came across products that worked for me and didn't come off after a half hour. *grin*

Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to wear makeup but I really only do when I go out on a date or possibly just out for friends. I dont really wear it to school except for days I feel like gettin really girly or can get up early...Been really busy and tired and sleep deprived lately! haha! I use Almay because I have sensitive skin...It stays on for me really good!
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hohum
Activist
Member # 29073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hohum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, putting time into makeup tends to take too much time!

I tend to only spend about 5 minutes on it when I do do it.

Just some foundation, eyeshadow, blush usually. Sometimes lip stuff or eyeliner, but these are what I have problems with staying on.

Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly only wear makeup when I'm going out for karaoke or out to the club. Even then, it's kind of a stage persona type thing, because it's usually pretty outrageous -- heavy eyeliner, crazy eyeshadow, stuff like that. I steal most of my ideas from Japanese street fashion, so it's always fun, and I use whatever I can get my hands on.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most makeup I usually wear is lip gloss - Bonne Bell. [Smile] Rarely, I put on mascara, and even more rarely, blush, eyeliner, or nail polish. And occasionally concealer if I need it.

Honestly? Makeup just doesn't look that good on me. I've never been big for it and I don't think I need it.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italiana23
Neophyte
Member # 27545

Icon 10 posted      Profile for italiana23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i LOVE putting make-up on .. i think its a great way to feel confident about yourself & it just makes people look nicer .. ( not when you put pounds of it on though )

- i wear great lash maybelline mascara, which is GREAT .. i get so many compliments ..
- victoria secret lipgloss ( which tastes really good by the way lolol )
- cover girl cover-up
- and wet n' wild eyeliner ( which is the best eyeliner ive ever used , its easy to apply and stays on all day )
- and blush [Big Grin]

heheheh

Posts: 25 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alea
Activist
Member # 31146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I used makeup, I really loved the physician's formula stuff - great makeup, never irritated my skin, and so light!

--------------------
Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.

Posts: 58 | From: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMadMorrigan
Neophyte
Member # 32184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheMadMorrigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makeup has never been a big thing for me... the cost of it, the time to put it on and the fact that I break out at the drop of a hat really make it a fruitless endeavor for me. I think I've also been lucky to have almost exclusively dated outdoorsy guys who prefer girls without makeup. [Smile]

When I do wear it, though, I go for eye and lip products, never foundation. I prefer Cover Girl's eyeshadow, and lip tints/lip balm from Burt's Bees.

Posts: 33 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Est. In 1984
Activist
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Est. In 1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loVe make-up. It feel it should be used as a beauty "enhancer" not a mask [Smile] I love to see how many different ways I can apply it when I go out.
I dont feel I need it but I really like wearing it. I like to focus on my eyes.
On usually wear:
*eyeliner (Maybeline)
*blush (Rimel)
*lip gloss (Liplites Vanilla Swirl) MY FAVORITE!
*Mascara (Max Factor)

--------------------
"I've touched Ur soul & left my mark in ur heart....There's no forgetting me, dont bother trying."...(ME)

Posts: 86 | From: CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear make-up very rarely. It feels like I'm under a mask, and it doesnt feel good.
I wear it for fun on Holidays, etc.

*Lipgloss (Randon at Wal*Mart)
*Eyeshadow (Claire's)

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally wear makeup myself, because it makes my skin break out (and without makeup it's nice and clear... so it's kind of a bad cycle... wearing makeup leads to the need to wear makeup... lol)

Therefore, when I do, I also just stick to eyes and lips.

Interestingly enough, I tend to get compliments more when I DON'T wear makeup! I think I look best without it anyway [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wear stage make up when I have performances (I have to, both because it's required by my director and because, since I'm so pale, I look extremely washed out/ill when I'm on stage). Other than that, the most "makeup" I ever wear is chapstick. I really don't have time in my morning routine to put on makeup, nor do I desire to. I certainly don't feel like I have to wear makeup--I'm quite happy with the way I look without it.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a whole lot of make up in my day-to-day routine. I don't have to look like a total doll to drive a bus, lol.

But I usually goth up on the weekends. I'm not big on coating my entire face with crap... I hate it when people do that and you can actually see the line where makeup ends and skin begins along their jawbone. But i'm fortunate in having good skin. A dab of concealer on the occasional zit does it for me.

But I've been known to get a little obnoxious with the eye makeup and lipstick. I shell out for special red mascara because it makes my eyes look very, very green.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bakingprincess
Neophyte
Member # 32285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bakingprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a huge makeup wearer, but I do like mascara. Eyeliner is too harsh for me, so I don't wear it, and I never wear foundation or powder. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the makeup brand Benefit. They have the most awesome products. Their 'realness of concealness' kit is so neat. I have dark circles under my eyes (I'm not a good sleeper) and they have this stuff that totally takes the puffiness and darkness away. Also, their Dandelion blush is really cool. Anyway! My number one lip gloss that I refuse to ever run out of is Neutrogena in Groovy. That's all for now! (I haven't found a fabulous mascara that I love love, but I'll definitely try out some of yalls suggestions)
Posts: 30 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this phase in high school where I would literally not leave the house if I wasn't wearing make-up. Concealer, blush, eye shadow, mascara - the works. That took up a lot of time in the morning and eventually I started to wonder who the heck I was going through all of that trouble for.

Now I wear almost no make up. On a regular day, I'll put on some lip gloss and if I am having an off-day, a bit of concealer. When I go out at night, I'll put on some mascara and my favourite green eye shadow ('cause it brings out the green in my eyes). Less fuss, costs less and I feel a whole lot more comfortable with myself.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nieve1
Neophyte
Member # 39884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nieve1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wear it mostly for fun, and i wear certain color eye-shadows that describe my mood. like if im happy i wear pinks and yellows (but light colors not very noticeable) or when im chill i wear light blues and greens to match my eyes, when im feeling warm and sensual i wear browns and reds and when im not feeling good at all i dont wear make-up haha.
hope that helps....

quote: "today you are you, that is truer than true, there is no one alive who is youer than you!"
-dr.suess

--------------------
nieveee

Posts: 12 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love makeup but i never wear tons of it. if i don't have time, i put on lipstick sometimes with lipgloss and reapply it during the day. i love lipstick, especially bright reds and gold browns. when i have more time then i put eyeliner or shadow and mascara, i always use clear mascara so have less clumpy eyelashes. i have lots of colours in my makeup box and use whatever ones according to my mood. i like green/blue eyeliner on its own, but when i have black, navy or brown eyeliner, i use gold/brown eyeshadow or some shimmer powder. i don't use blusher because my cheeks are pink, or foundation because i don't know how to use it, but i use concealer under my eyes and around my face instead

[ 10-02-2008, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: selina ]

Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolly
Neophyte
Member # 38967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dolly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always tend to slip a little make up on. I do it because I like how I look in it. Makeup for me involves a little bit of Cover Girl Clean Makeup foundation, Maybelle Greatest Black mascara (totally recommend this! I love it!) and whatever brand of eyeshadow that was pretty that day at the Walmart. I also have some new, fancy Este Lauder stuff I received for Christmas, which I like a lot [Smile]
Posts: 27 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's never occurred to me to wear makeup. But I'm a butch girl [Smile] . The idea of wearing makeup makes me pretty uncomfortable, unless I imagine I'm a boy putting on makeup or a drag queen.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, I very much did feel like a long time like it was something I had to put on and was expected to, but I kind of broke that habit at a certain point, and now in my life -- for some time, really -- I haven't felt that way at all. I go far more often without anything than I do with it, but it's perhaps worth mentioning that I also run in circles where I don't experience any pressure in that regard.

Makeup -- especially anything more than the smallest amount -- has always made me feel a bit like being in drag or in costume, too.

But, every now and then, I LIKE the sort of play of being in drag or costume. [Smile] In the 80's, for instance, when I ran in punk circles, I did love going out and just covering my eyes in a ton of black gook, and it very much was about costuming. And every now and then now, I still like busting it all out when going out in that same kind of vein: where I do feel like it's drag, but it's a space where it's fun to be in drag.

(Still don't usually put anything on my face itself, though: perhaps it's fear of clowns, but skin -- rather than eyes or lips -- coated to a point where you can't see freckles or skin texture has always weirded me out, on myself or others for some reason.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Personnally, I generally do not wear make up on most days except on some occasions, like for example when I'll go out to a bar with friends or will go to a soiree or when a pic of me has to be taken, times like that. I do feel some pressure some time to put make-up on when I go out but I don't feel that pressure to put make-up on a day to day basis like when I go to school.

I am just not really a fan of make-up, this takes time and I'd rather prefer spending my time on other things, especially when I have to wake up early in the morning to go to school, that's the last thing I worry about. [Smile]

[ 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only make-up i ever wear is eyeliner, and even that is rare and when i do it's just a simple brown shade.
the only thing i use on my lips is burt's bees lip balm, only because that is the best lip balm ever and my lips get chapped insanely easily. i don't count that as make-up, i count it as a necessity to life.
i never ever wear mascara; it seems so silly to me. it smudges, it clumps, and i'm pretty sure i'm kind of allergic to it. also, i've never worn blush or concealer in my life. heh.
i wake up, wash my face, run my fingers through my hair, and maybe put on a little pale eyeshadow.. i don't get the girls who put so much effort into their make-up and hair and spend so much time and money on it. i have better priorities.

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoopieB
Neophyte
Member # 41879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoopieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love make up but i dont feel the need to wear it everyday..

the only times i definately wear it are when i go to work (which is once or twice a week as its only casual work) and when i go to a family get to gether.. oh and i usually make a bit of an effort when i go out at night [Smile]

i know im pretty without it but when at work i find it makes me look more sophisticated than my uniform (which is yellow) would normally make me appear and as i deal with customers all the time i feel like i ought to make the right impression [Smile] but i make sure i keep it simple..mascara and maybe a bit of eye shadow but definately a natural lip gloss [Smile]

--------------------
Love CoopieB x

Posts: 3 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredVIP
Neophyte
Member # 39729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredVIP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love make-up! I love being able to be creative with it and try different colors of eyeshadow and stuff like that. I'm such a raver at heart, so I wear a lot of bright eyeshadow colors. Nothing that looks trashy but bright colors that accent my green eye color. I kind-of look at make-up personally as being something that's for ME. I decide how much I want to wear and when I want to wear it. Plus, it's just fun to try different things with it. [Smile]

--------------------
ain't cha glad, that some thing's never change?

Posts: 4 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen551
Neophyte
Member # 41845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen551     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE Bare Minerals foundation. It's a little pricey, but it makes my skin tone so even and you can't even tell I'm wearing make-up because it blends so well. A plus also is that it won't melt off when you work out- the coverage stays put.

Day to day I usually wear the Bare Minerals foundation on my face and occasionally eyeshadow and blush because I'm pasty in winter [Big Grin]

Posts: 34 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capucine
Neophyte
Member # 40437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capucine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
!!! I love Bare Minerals too! It's by far the best ive ever tried, and I also sometimes wear their blush. But it's usually just some quick mascara and a quick swirl of foundation.

--------------------
*Hello Pussycat* -Peter O'Toole

Posts: 23 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.