Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » what would you do in my position?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what would you do in my position?
prospero's_daughter
Neophyte
Member # 7179

Icon 5 posted      Profile for prospero's_daughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, thanks in advance for reading this!I'll try to make it brief [Smile]
The background: I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 and a half years about 9 months ago. It's taken a while, but we're friends now. I've spent the whole time regretting it and eventually told him, but he said he just wants to be friends..so that's where we are, and dammit, I wana be the best friend to him that I can be!
We found out a few weeks ago that his dad has lung cancer, and it's not looking too good. He's having chemo and doing OK so far, but he was given about 6 months to live. So, in my role as a friend, I'm trying my best to help him through this.
I have a holiday booked for this summer, in early July for two weeks to go to America and see a lot of family members I haven't seen in a while. (this is going somewhere, I promise!) Now three of my closest friends, one of whom has been away in China for a year, have asked if I want to go away with them for a week before I go to America. I would love to go, as I know we'd have an incredible time together..the only thing is that I'm worried something will happen to my ex's dad, and I won't be there to help and support him. So I can't decide whether I should go with my friends or not..part of me thinks that it's irrational to make plans based on what might not happen, and I don't know how much I'd be able to help even if I was here; I don't even know if he would want to see me. But the other part of me thinks that if something did happen, I would never forgive myself for being away. I can't get out of going to America, so I'm gona be away for 2 weeks anyway.. I'm just unsure whether to make it 3 weeks or not and take that risk.
I have to decide really soon as they want to book the holiday in the next few days, and I'm completely torn. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you do in my position?

Posts: 25 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imo, I think you ought to go on holiday.

You don't say why you broke up with him, but your regret confirms the feeling of responsiblity you have towards him. He was a major part of your life and you obviously still care about him. He doesn't seem to want or need that level of care anymore... it happens.

It seems to me that the best girlfriends stick with their guys (or girls) when things get tough, while making sure their own needs are respected. That might include forfeiting the holiday... it might not, depending on how you and your partner felt.

However, as a friend, your obligations are much more limited, especially in the context of an ex-girlfriend. A break up releases you from all obligations to your partner. By forfeiting your holiday for him, you're letting him control your life, while he doesn't want you in it. Not fair to you.

Were I you, I would go on holiday. Since you're friends with him, let him know that you're there to talk whenever he needs to. Let him know that you wish he wasn't having to go through this, etc. Maybe text him while you're away with "Thinking about you" or some such.
That's all you need to do, as a friend.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prospero's_daughter
Neophyte
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prospero's_daughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for the advice kitka, sometimes it really helps to get an outside opinion. You're right, I know I don't have the same obligations to him anymore, it's just hard to accept that sometimes but I know I have to move on and remember that in the context of a friend, our relationship is very different. Thanks for your help [Smile]
Posts: 25 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.