Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Lowering the Aussie voting age.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lowering the Aussie voting age.
littlespoon
Neophyte
Member # 43465

Icon 14 posted      Profile for littlespoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm VERY pleased about this [Smile]

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25839595-5013404,00.html

Basically, there's long been a push to give Australian 16 and 17 year olds the option of voting (it's compulsory for those 18 and over) among a lot of left wing and youth oriented parties and factions, in recognition of the significant contingent of politically informed and engaged Australian youth.

It seems the Rudd government will be formally considering this. Hurray!

I do doubt that a lowered voting age will happen anytime soon; there seems to be a lot of opposition from the Liberal Party (the major right-wing party). But still.

Even if nothing comes of it, I think that for our government to even consider this is a great step- and a very encouraging one in our ageist society!

Thoughts? Opinions? [Smile]

--------------------
This is our last dance; this is ourselves.

Posts: 29 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so fantastic!

I'm a big advocate of voting age being lowered everywhere, so this is really cool. Why do you think the other party is so opposed? Do you think their impression is that the left will get more of the youth vote (which is certainly often the case here in the states among younger voters)?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlespoon
Neophyte
Member # 43465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlespoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That seems to be pretty much it- they're scared that it will skew voting figures to the left. And admittedly, it probably will, but I doubt as drastically as anyone imagining- I have plenty of friends my age who support left wing policies, but just as many who support the right.

And, having seen a few comments from senior Liberal spokesmen to this effect, it hardly seems like a fair reason to block such a motion. If those viewpoints exist in certain proportions, why shouldn't they be represented? Oh, that's right- because we're young, uninformed radicals who can't be trusted with the nation's future. Sigh [Razz]

--------------------
This is our last dance; this is ourselves.

Posts: 29 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right wing parties always pull that stuff, that's why there were very few polling stations in neighbourhoods with primarily racial minority or working class populations during the Bush administration, because these groups benefit from left wing policy more and suffer under right wing policy more (as do women, but they are almost always interspersed with men, there aren't many substantial areas of residents composed almost completely of women).

Anyway this seems like a good idea to me.

[ 07-29-2009, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharpay_drama_queen
Neophyte
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharpay_drama_queen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,
I'm from Australia and the only annoying thing that I find about the voting system here is the fact that voting is compulsory. There are so many people I know that don't even want to vote so they vote for whoever their friends tell them to or whoever seems cool. This is annoying as it totally swings the vote!!!!! I want people to vote because they are informed and because they believe in the policies.

Posts: 7 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusky
Neophyte
Member # 46451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voting is not compulsory in Australia.

Registering to vote is compulsory.
Going to the local school and getting your name ticked off is compulsory.

What you do with your vote is up to you. You can donkey vote, or you can invalidate your vote by not carefully following the instructions, or you can just not write anything at all.

I would be more concerned with how well a sixteen or seventeen year old can make and informed opinion and resist pressure from people like their family and friends to vote a particular way.

To this day, my mother assumes I vote the same way as her because it's not worth the trauma for me to tell her different.

Posts: 8 | From: The land of milk and honey! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bee_is_me
Neophyte
Member # 38122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bee_is_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'd be great to have a lower voting age. In my opinion, it should be voluntary from 16, then compulsory from 18.

--------------------
Let your clarity define you...

Posts: 25 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namida
Activist
Member # 28700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Namida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think lowering the voting age would be a good idea. The whole idea of a voting age is that you need to be able to make an informed decision. Perhaps those in youth political groups have the knowledge but you can't argue that they aren't the exception.
Posts: 66 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.