Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Alternative Rock Bands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternative Rock Bands
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me for being an idiot, but what exactly is the difference between alternative rock bands and punk rock bands? I have been pondering on this for quite some time. Once again, sorry for the stupid question, I would ask one of my friends, but i'd seem like an idiot so I'm asking you.

*answers appreciated*

Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger3
Neophyte
Member # 19365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is Nirvana and Good Charolette. Listen to what they play. (Personally I hate Good Charolette but Nirvana is the best)
Posts: 34 | From: Northfield,MN,U.S | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as a stupid question, peeps

Punk Rock is, as a good definition follows:

"A genre of music that died around 1996, contrary to what any blue haired fifteen yr old will tell you.

Punk Rock originally had a three chord sound. Everyone knew that the music was not important as the message. Sid Vicious was never known as the best player of the 70s or of any era, but everyone knew who the Sex Pistols were.

True punk rock bands include (but are not limited to): Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Ramones, Youth Brigade, Bad Brains, DK (pre-1987), Descendents, Minor Threat, Fugazi, 7 Seconds, Bad Religion, Sub Society, and Teen Idols.

Examples of "punk" rock, only by record label classification: Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Simple Plan, Avril Lavigne, No Doubt (yes, I once had someone tell me they are punk. Yes, you may laugh too), 311, and The All American Rejects."

(Although I don't necessarily believe the blue hair 15 yr old part, thats pretty accurate in terms of definition...)

Alternative is similiar to independent rock. While I was not able to find a straight definition for it, it is somewhat of a mix of many music types. It's simliar to independent rock, if that helps.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 08-21-2004).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we'll credit Urban Dictionary for that one.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

You who're so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Yellowcard or Dashboard Confessional? They're punk, I suppose. I've heard that their punk from some people and alternative from others. But really, are they punk or what?
Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something tells me that this is going to end up like the Goth thread, with people arguing about what's *really* punk, and who's just a poser. But no, I wouldn't consider either of those groups punk. There are a ton of musical genres, and being a bit bouncy or sad doesn't mean something's punk music. That'd be sort of like putting Dolly Parton and Poison in the same category because of the big hair.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

You who're so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver1381
Activist
Member # 18771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver1381     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really have an answer to clearly define the difference between alternative and today's "punk" music, but an example of a punk band in my opinion, would be the band Goldfinger.

Has anyone else heard Goldfinger before? Would you consider that "punk?" I guess they could kind of go both ways, but it seems like most people that I've talked to have considered them as a "punk" band.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaitSeesRainbows
Neophyte
Member # 17069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaitSeesRainbows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a topic that has been discussed/argued over a LOT recently. I think punk is a popular social identity- subject to differences in area, generation, and personal opinions. Therefore- "punk" music would be subjected to the same, and there can never a definition.

But I think classifying music into lots of little subcategories is ridiculous anyway.

------------------

Posts: 24 | From: Oregon, US | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... See, I consider earlier Offspring (circa Ixnay on the Hombre) and all of the Vandals stuff to be punk. Fun, upbeat music with a good message. In the Vandal's case, funny lyrics come in to play.

I tend to notice that music played by rock or alternitive rock bands seems a bit "heavier", if that makes any sense.

Eh. It's music. If you like, listen to it. If not, change you station or cd.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotCat29
Neophyte
Member # 19729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotCat29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LUV Nirvana, except I'm a lil' sad about kurt cobain, i wish he would've done more songs to our generation, but still, i think that their music has a LOT to say. About other punk bands i don't like it so much, it is just that, many of them sound the same, since green day came out, many guys started hanggin' out in garages tryin' to make a band just like that one and guess what? they did. now many of those bands no matter what they are, all of the guys that sing in them have almost the same voice, and rhythim in their songs, i don't think that there would be another band such as nirvana, or guns n' roses, or the cure. Many of them are a simple stereotype of the voice every guy can create if you force your voice a little bit' a dunno what you think about it but this is what i think.

------------------
You are who you want to be, Just be Yourself! Rock n' Roll!

Posts: 8 | From: Cicero, Il., U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadedRoses15
Neophyte
Member # 19993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadedRoses15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has always seemed a bit fuzzy to me too. The line between any kind of rock has seemed fuzzy to me. Since when was Nineinch Nails "Alternative" and since when was Audioslave "Heay Metal"?....I always just called everything rock...but thats me
Posts: 32 | From: Oklahoma, United States | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miss frog
Neophyte
Member # 17997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miss frog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, i'm a little late but i just wanted to thank jamsession for the amusing and oh so true (for me) definition.... i guess i'm from what you may call the old school - punk and anarchy were synonyms, and usually it was all musically crap but we love it anyway. i guess each has his or her own belief in what music is called what, but who cares - rather than arguing over what it's called, we should be asking ourselves what the message is!!
Posts: 14 | From: Paris, France | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're quite welcome...

I have never been a punk rock fanatic, but I try to chose my music based more on message, not on sound

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Dashboard and Yellowcard are a certain brand of punk... emo. Oh emo is so dead. It has been popularised lately, but 99.9% of the emo kids on the streets would not know a Rites Of Spring (1984) or Moss Icon (1986) album if you poked them in the eye with it and screamed THESE BANDS SHAPED WHAT IS REALLY EMO! WORSHIP THEM, YOU LITTLE NEW FOUND GLORY PUPPY!

And there is a name for Blink 182 and GC and all that, it's called mall punk. Pop punk is stuff like Millencollin. Millencollin was absolutely lovely in it's day.

Also, genres like various forms of heavy and extreme metal can be called alternative rock because of their rock roots. I like the musical substance of the things I listen to, but I do absolutely love the naturistic and romantic elements of black metal (no, not Cradle Of Filth, listen to Emperor or Bathorty or Astriaal if you want to see what I mean).

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.