Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Who's the expert here? You!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's the expert here? You!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reminded in a Pregnancy and Parenting post by nmcowgirl87 (in which she expertly explained some facts about chicken eggs), of the fact that while most of our users come here because they want answers to questions about sexuality of some sort, pretty much EVERYONE has at least one area of expertise in something where we could easily ask them a question on the subject and get a truly expert answer, and many times, users have brought that area of knowledge to posts at the boards, which utterly rocks and it's a whole lot of fun to see the diversity.

So, what's yours? What do you geek out on, what have you lived or studied intensely? What are YOU an expert on?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for the past three years or so, I've been working pretty closely on lithic debitage. What's that? In archaeology, you need to use everything you can to try and figure out the past, even the little stuff that's not as glamorous. Lithic debitage is the waste product, the stone flakes left behind when ancient people made stone tools. It's an archaeology thing. I did a paper comparing two methods of analysis which got me two presentations (one by invitation) and a video. And it'll be a significant part of my thesis next year. SO I can pretty much cover that.

And in my free time, I totally geek out on mythology. I love that stuff, from norse to mesopotamian and even, at the risk of offending some people, christian. I'm really not a consummate expert in anything, but it's still fun.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, by the end of the summer, I will be an micro-expert in a very small period and place in history: 1579-1603 in England and Ireland. My job this year is to research a ton of military accounts of the Nine Years' War that took place, and make it all match up. So if you ever want to know if Sir Thomas Digges fought in Ireland or the Low Countries, I can tell you that yes, yes he did.

Really, I geek out on research in general. I love it, it's my life and I've been pretty lucky to get summer job at universities and the like, so I can fulfill that whim on pretty much a daily basis.

As for how people see me as an expert, I got a lot of the "Hey, Sexpert lady" in residences- though really, I would just give people basic info and encourage them to read up on it themselves (ie: the articles here!) But I'm by no means an expert on this stuff; people just thought I was.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
History. I love history. Now that I'm back in school, I'm amazed at how much I really know, and how much is still relevant. It's fun.

I've been studying Ancient Egypt since I was old enough to walk and talk. I could tell you all about Anubis before I really knew about the Christian God.

I've been told I'm full of facsinating facts...True? Maybe.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm on my way to my degree in Mortuary Science, and am up for a job at a funeral parlor, I can tell you pretty much anything about human corpses, how they're used in cadaver labs, how they decompose, etcetera. I also know a whole heck of a lot about ancient Egyptian burial customs.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow Aria51 that's soooo cool!

As ya'll can probably guess, I know quite a bit about horses and livestock in general. And even if I don't know something, odds are I know someone who does. I'm actually interning with one of our local vets, so if any of you wants to know how to treat a cow with mastitis or correct an equine prolapsed uterus, I'm your gal!

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Animals are my thing, I want to be zoologist when I'm older, so I devour animal facts.

When we go to the Wildlife Park here in my city, I usually spend my time going all David Attenborough on my friends, detailing in a quiet voice how a certain Ring tailed lemur behaves and mates and stuff. lol

One of the most cringe worthy incidents I remember was when I got very caught up in this bird that was down there, and i started demonstrating its mating dance to one of my friends. I haven't heard the end of it since. lol

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Slayer_gurl, I think you even beat out me in geekiness when it comes to animals.

I know a ton about figure skating, since I watch it a lot (as well as do it on and off). Don't ask me about the new scoring system tho...too many things to think about there!

I also know a bit about chemistry and biology, but that's because I've been brainwashed this past year from college courses....

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.