Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Scary movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scary movies
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I rented Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I really want to see these movies, but I'm almost scared to watch them. I'm only 13, do you think that they're too scary? Also, which is less scary, in your opinion?

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depends on the kind of grasp you have on reality. if you're really good at differentiating between what's real and what's a movie, then you'll be able to watch dang near anything. but if you tend to be superstitious, or you like to take what's on tv to be true of real life, then hold off. horror flicks tend to be rated R, and since you're 13, your parents may object to you renting them. ask your folks if it's okay.

as for me, i remember watching The Blair Witch Project maybe a day or two after it came out (it came out early in my city), so i caught it before most of the hype. I'm usually good about horror flicks, but even then, i slept with *ALL* the lights on for 4 days straight.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another recommend--I've seen the Silence of the Lambs at least 4 times, and I STILL hide my eyes at certain parts. I'm such a wimp, jeez.
Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older horror movies (mid-seventies and before) tend to be less gruesome than newer ones, and often more cleverly put together. Just a tip.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i haven't seen either "friday the 13th" or "nightmare on elm street", sorry. but if you want a good movie that has kind of a scary feel to it and is also funny, try watching "the crow".

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw both movies, as well as Jason X. They aren't as scary as they're cracked up to be. I also saw Freddy vs. Jason on Saturday. Did anyone else see this movie, and if you did, what did you think of it?

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a good comparison of older versus new movies, watch House on Haunted Hill--the old one. With the strings attaced to the skeleton.

As far as which is more scary, they are different movies. Each may be frightening in it's own way. I haven't seen either of them. I tried to convince my mom to let me watch Friday the Thirteenth, but I was only 8. I didn't stand much of a chance.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Freddy vs. Jason on Friday, with my boyfriend and his mother. Apparently it didn't get very good reviews by the critics, but I never pay much attention to those- they said the League of Extraordinary Gentleman was awful too, but I loved that movie. I must admit, however reluctantly, that I did like Freddy vs. Jason- I expected it to be really cheesy, but it was surprisingly decent (in my opinion). Granted, it didn't scare me, but I thought the special effects were cool, and the writers did a pretty good job of giving it the "feel" of other Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

But that's just me.

------------------
~*Scarleteen Advocate

"I hate broccoli. And yet, in a certain sense- I AM broccoli." --The Tick

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am such a horror movie buff -- more towards the spectrum of psychological thrillers and slasher flicks. I absolutely loved the Scream Trillogy, the Hannibal Lecter movies (although, when it comes to Red Dragon and Hannibal the books were far better than the movies, while Silence remained a fairly true-to-the-novel interperation... and Jodie Foster absolutely rocks my world), The Blair Witch Project, and virtually anything directed by Alfred Hitchcock -- Psycho is at the top of that list.

(Watching b- and c-list "horror" movies, like Jason X simply to make fun of them is also a fun past time for me. As an FYI, Mystery Science Theatre 3000 -- even though it's finished with original productions, still has residual episodes being aired, most of which are available on DVD -- does this brilliantly and, IMHO, is still the best thing next to sliced bread)

But, like everyone, I have my own limits when it comes to what I can take and what I cannot. I, to this day, will still not watch any of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, because Freddie Kruger scares the bejezzus out of me, and I'm not sure if I could handle those movies. Like Gummy said, it all comes down to what you can handle.

[Edited to tidy up a bit]
------------------
Tim, as in "Donate"
Scarleteen Advocate

"Hey boy, take a look at me. Let me dirty up your mind. I'll strip away your hard veneer and see what I can find..." -- Garbage, "Queer"

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 08-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 08-25-2003).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyGurl8706
Activist
Member # 13227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyGurl8706     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a chicken! Bok Bok BoK! LOL! I can watch Pet Semetary uo til Gage dies then after the girl talks about her sister I cant watch any more.It scares the HELL out of me.I've seen Jason and that scared me too!
Im just more of a Sweet Home Alabama type girl! Haha.Or Bring It On! I try to ster clear of Scary movies.Unless I have a bf and he is there.
Now everyone knows Im a chiiiicken! haha.
Brandi

------------------

"Don't question my hippness!-Gary LeVox from Rascal Flatts

Posts: 56 | From: Back In The sticks of Missouri | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personal opinion on the two:

Jason movies tend to be more gore.. Elm Streets tend to be more suspense/startle.

i prefer the Elm Streets because of the comedy in them (intended & unintended).

but either/or when in a good scary-movie-mood will have you looking around you

i say work up to The Exorcist slowly in a few years. classic & the best horror i've ever seen. both the original & new re-dubbed original. my poor mom saw it as a teenager when it came out & still refuses to have the tape in her house. i only watch it outside of my house, too, but i have additional reasons on that.

a good classic horror that's not really scary, but a very good film is Rosemary's Baby. it's more a suspense/drama.

man, i gotta hook up with some friends & have a horror-flick sleepover sometime...

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm like a lot of people in that I can watch all the gore you can throw at me, but a psychological thriller will have me sleeping with the light on for about a month.

Like Silence of the Lambs, the Exorcist to a lesser exent, and any of the Freddy movies.

Just the thought of someone chasing me in my dreams like that.

*shiver*

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.