Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Oh the joy of finding Summer Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh the joy of finding Summer Jobs
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 12 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here it is the first summer I'm able to be employed and employment is hiding well around my town. Does anyone have any tips or ideas about where to apply. Maybe somewhere that noone else really thinks of. And also when calling/ going around asking and applying any extra little helpers that make people go "wow what a nice girl"
Thanks bunches!

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fairie:
Maybe somewhere that noone else really thinks of.

Hmmm...if it's someplace that nobody else really thinks of, then how on earth will we know about it?

Before we can answer this question, it might help to have a little bit of background information. Whereabouts do you live? Are you in a small town, big town, medium-sized town? What sorts of things are you interested in? What sorts of things are in your city?

You see, a summer job often has more to do with what's local than what's desireable. And while we can all tell you to go get a job lifeguarding at your local beach, that would be meaningless if you're in a landlocked area. Make sense?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personalized cover letters. If you know the contact name of someone for a potential job that's been posted in the newspaper, or on a website (like http://www.jobbank.gc.ca for Canada), personalized cover letters will get their attention every time, especially from a student.

Other than that, there's not much advice I can think of without knowing more about your situation, like Bruin said.

I just got a summer job- I'm a tour guide at a local museum. I'm really excited about it.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 7 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Me! How did I think you were supposed to help me without any info about me? Well I live in a small to medium sized town that is completely landlocked. We have a few restaraunts and grocery stores. That is basically it when it comes to "teenage" employment. I know about resumes and cover letters,I just have no idea how to write one. (btw I'm from the usa)
Oh, and congratulations on the great sounding job Jane.

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any non-profit groups in your area who hire some people for pay? I know Planned Parenthood has some internships for teens. How about babysitting? Retail?

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Along with what Gummy suggested, what about inquiring at places that interest you? Maybe the local radio station needs someone to sort all their CDs, or you can talk the newspaper into a 'teen page' once a week during the summer that you could head and write for, if you're an aspiring journalist. Things of that sort.

Cover letters are pretty basic. Mine consists of my address and phone number in the left hand corner, ATTN: [name of contact], Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms. Contact, a short letter that sums up your best skills for that particular job (ie: I've taken typing courses throughout high school with a consistent 80% average, etc.) and then a closing statement like "Thank you for considering me for this position. I look forward with speaking to you in the future". Print it out, sign your name and viola! Cover letter! You canuse the same cover letter for different jobs, making sure you change the name and your various skills.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you put in your application, make sure to talk the manager. Ask them if you should call, and show them why it would be so cool to hire you.

Some girl came into my work today and had an app. and was just going to drop it off, I asked her if she wanted to talk to the manager. She said sure, and she was so open and nice, that she is starting Thursday. Thats how I got my job, my employer said after my interview "you smile alot, your hired!" lol

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duuuude, you've got grocery stores in town? Hit them up immediately!!! I worked in a large grocery store in my hometown for several years a while back, and I had the time of my life. It's a cesspool of people your age and a little bit older, and there are tons of people that typically staff each one. There were 187 in my store alone, and that is a healthy dose of new friends to make. Aside from that, grocery stores tend to have enough specialty sections (Produce, Florist, Meat Department, Bakery, Service Deli, etc) that you have some promotional opportunities as well, should you decide to keep the job after summer is over.

Sometimes I lie in bed at night and I realllyyyy miss those days...

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's a bit late for this tip now, it might be something to keep in mind for the future- businesses often hire summer staff during the spring- if you wait until it's actually summer to apply, you risk missing the boat.

That is not to say that you should give up your search, but next year, start handing out those applications in April or May (and to any southern hemisphere folk reading this, remember to hand yours out in October and November).

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just a thought for those of you looking at summer camps for employment- think JANUARY.

I've encountered that on both sides of the border. I was hired for this summer (I leave friday! ack!) in Pennsylvania, and I was hired in mid-January.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few tips...

1) Whenever you go out job hunting, dress well. Being well groomed and well dressed no matter where you may be applying is incredibly important. Example: My boyfriend went into a retail store to fill out an application. He was well groomed and wearing kaiki's and a nice shirt. The manager noticed him filling out the application, interviewed him right then, hired him on the spot, and he started work the next day. The manager later told him that this was based largely on the fact that he made such a good impression by being well dressed. So dress well enough to prove to them that you really want to be employed, even if you're only going in to fill out an application at McDonalds or something.

2) Think contacts. Who do you know? Who do your parents know? Talk to people. I'm currently working for my dermatologist. I went into her office for an appointment at the beginning of the summer. When she asked what I was doing for the summer, I mentioned that I was looking for a position and she said she might just be looking for somebody with my skills. I dropped of a resume that day, and within the week I was at work for her. Even if the people you know aren't looking for someone to hire, they may know of somebody else who needs help. And don't be afraid to hand your resume to people, even if they aren't hiring. Lots of places will keep it on file and may offer you something later, or they may be able to pass it on to another individual or company.

3) Don't feel limited to only sterotypical "teenage" employment. There are a lot of places and people who WILL hire teenagers, they just usually don't get asked. If you've got a decent resume, show up well groomed, and have good references...then many places will jump at the chance to have a student working with them. The jobs still may not be glamorous, but you don't have to be stuck flipping hamburgers if you don't want to. You just have to be willing to think outside the box and show them some initiative.

4) Shoot for things that you enjoy. If you enjoy photography and are thinking of it as a career path (for instance), then try your local photographers. If it's something you enjoy, then it's something you're going to be excited about...and excitement is incredibly important. When someone asks you why you're applying for a job, saying "well, I need something to do and could use the extra money" just ain't gonna cut it. People are going to be so much more likely to hire you if you're excited about being involved in that type of work and if you have some knowledge of the industry/job beforehand (this may mean a bit of research on your part to find out just what may be intailed in your potential new position/company).

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.