Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » The Greek System

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Greek System
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've got horrid jet lag, and so i'm watching Sorority Life on MTV.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Greek System (or "Pan-Hellenism as it's more formally called), it consists of clubs called fraternities or sororities. Frats are either all-male or co-ed while sororities are all-female (i have yet to hear of a co-ed sorority, if you know of one, please tell). Some frats and sororities are themed by academics (by subject or honors), faith groups, ethnicity (while they may have ethnic themes, they are not permitted to reject a pledge of basis of race) or community service.

Opinions on the Greek System are mixed. Some people think they're a great way to make friends, make valuable networking connections and gain leadership skills. Other people think the Greek System is elitist, segregated, eschews individuality, or is filled with shallow, binge-drinking hedonists.

I know a few Greek brothers and sisters who have seen the show Sorority Life, and they think is reflects poorly on the Greek Community at large. I have yet to hear any of them say anything nice about the show. I wasn't Greek in college, but I don't like the show either because I think it plays into negative stereotypes about the Greek System. And I don't even have a very positive view of the Hellenists.

But anyway, what do you think of fraternities and sororities? Are you in one? Do you want to be in one? Do you know people who chose to go Greek?

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Superstar
Neophyte
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr_Superstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attend Indiana University and the Greek system is HUGE here. However, I am not part of it myself. From what I've seen, most of the people who join the Greek system like to party. And when I say party, I mean HUGE amounts of alcohol. Even though IU is considered a "dry" campus, there is plenty of alcohol.

I know a few people who went Greek, and they are all the "party" type. A few were what I like to call "stupid drunks." Meaning, when they get drunk, they do stupid stuff. This can sometimes be funny, but other times be dangerous to others.

Anyway, I can't say I'm really fond of the Greek system. Sure the people seem nice at first, and many of them might actually be nice; however I just think it's a reason to party.

Posts: 15 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know on the show "Sorority Life," they go to UCDavis. That's the college I really want to go to. And the girl Jordan went to the highschool I go to now. I just think it's kinda cool. I'm not sure if I want to become part of a sorority, at first I just wanted to have my own studio. It may be too expenssive to do that though. So I may decide to live on campus or join a sorority. It could be fun, and would be a great experience. I'm kind of a partier, but not into alcohol. I wouldn't go crazy and act stupid, I would try to be a good example, but I can't say that I would be. All can change in 3 years.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.