Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Thinking in colours...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking in colours...
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 5 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think in colours? Let me explain... For me, nearly all words, letters and numbers have colours. For example, a is green, b is orange, 5 is red, 9 is brown, and Tuesday is blue etc.

I have only met 1 other person who thinks like this and I was just wondering, does anyone round here think like this too, or am I one of a kind?

hugs<(green)from<(brown)the<(blue)badger<(orangy brown)

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, you're one of a kind no matter what!! But yeah, I think that way sometimes too. I don't really consciously think about it; but I've played those word association games before- you know, where someone says a word, and you say the first word that comes to your mind- and I find myself associating certain words or places with different colors.

Fascinating. I wonder why that is.

Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always think that colors have dirfferent sexs. for example
1 is a boy
2 is a girl
3 is a boy
4 is a girl
5 is a boy
6 is a girl
7 is a girl
8 is a boy
9 is a girl
10 is a boy
after that im undecided.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 is orange but "two" is blue

quote:
...the most common form of synesthesia - the perception that numbers, letters and words have distinct colors - has confirmed these earlier findings and provided additional evidence that synesthetic experiences originate during the central stages of visual processing in the brain. <...>
Little is known about synesthesia's causes or its prevalence. Estimates range from one in 2,000 to one in 25,000 and there is also some evidence that the condition is more common in women than in men.<...>

Pretty interesting, eh?

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow.....

I do it, but I can't quite place it, like this colour is this number, I just know looking at numbers feels wierd to be, cause i think of them more as colours, and like i should be putting them here or there.... no wonder i'm no good at math!!

I didn't know there was a word for it....neat!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of anything so unique before!!

I don't think I do it. That is so rad!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, I can see letters as numbers, but that's about it. Synesthesia seems bloody interesting, and a lot more common than most people realise.

------------------
Everybody had a hard year, everybody had a good time
Everybody had a wet dream, everybody saw the sun shine
JL

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think of numbers with sexes as well, but mine are different.

1=girl
2=boy
3=girl
4=boy
5=girl
6=boy
7=girl
8=boy
9=girl
10=girl

etc, mostly it's just odds and evens.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 6 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Numbers have sexes? That's very interesting!

I don't think like that. Does anyone associate shapes with colours?

I've been thinking about it today and I've realised that in my mind, some shapes have colours!
A square is green. A triangle is blue, I think, and a rectangle is red.

Also, I tend to 'see' the OBJECT when someone says a word, e.g. if someone said the word 'tree' I would see a tree. Some people actually see the letters T R E E, which is quite odd to my way of thinking. Does anyone else experience this?

------------------
Rock on Rupert Bear and Bill Badger!

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Neophyte
Member # 6923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pyro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo...very interesting topic you got here...synethesia (sp?) is definetly me!

Monday=red or pink (even tho i don't like the color)
Tues=blue
wed=orange
thurs=dark lavender
fri=green
sat=?
sun=yellow orange

Now, I think this is just how I associate the days of the week, but my childhood underpants (ya know, those ones that have the days of the week written on them in diferent colors so you always put on a fresh pair ea. day?) might have had a slight influence on my decisions..hehe..

Whenever I think of the word "apologize", I see it in red. And for some demented reason, I always think of those super sweet maraschino (sp?) cherries. Isn't that weird?

And numbers definetly have sexes, at least in my opinion. Actually, I think I assign sexes for everything....don't ask me why...

I also hae that thing where you see inatimate objects as having feelings. I mean, how could you NOT feel sorry for a cute little pencil or paperclip carelessly thrown and abandoned on the floor?! Call me crazy, but...well, I don't think there is a but...just call me crazy! lol!

Again, great topic!

Posts: 14 | From: in a galaxy far far away | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, in french, things have sexes (kind of, they are masculine or feminine). so for me, it sounds weird hearing things like "love is a bird, she needs to fly" cause bird is masculine.

I also picture myself words, but i don't know how to explain. it wouldn't be color or sex or something precisely, its just... pictures i get.

and also, when i think about things, its like i think about them in different places of my brain. by example, right now i am thinking in the upper-left part. it doesn't do that all the time, but it does it a very strong way when i close my eyes.

[This message has been edited by misscat (edited 06-13-2002).]

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etoile
Neophyte
Member # 8657

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Etoile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do in a way...
numbers and colors have special meanings, as dumb as that sounds

for me, i hate odd numbers. bad things happnen on odd number days and bad things come in odd numbers. i try my hardest to stay away from them!

------------------
No one's a virgin....Life screws everyone

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazz
Activist
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i guess this is kinda related.

I play the piano, and when i read the music, different movements or bars or just random sections have different colours or images in my mind. I always thought that was really strange, but i guess not!

Posts: 88 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniLoo
Activist
Member # 7058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniLoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another number-gender person....Well, here's mine

1=boy
2=girl
3=boy
4=girl
5=boy
6=boy
7=boy
8=girl
9=boy
10=boy

------------------
~Who live in a pineapple under the sea?~

~ Jenni

Posts: 43 | From: Savannah, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i go letter : color

A = red
B = brown
C = yellow
D = black
E = green
F = cyan
G = blue
H = tan
I = white
J = black
K = red
L = yellow
M = green
n = brown
O = white
P = orange
Q = violet
R = brown
S = red
T = black
U = white
V = violet
W = cyan
X = blue
Y = pink
Z = magenta

no rhyme or reason to it, that's just how i've always perceived it.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.