Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » I'm gonna melt! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm gonna melt!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy ... it's 30oC weather here. And this is Ontario. Land of the igloos. This is so not fair. I would rather it rain and snow forever than have to deal w/ a week of this. My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

How do you guys deal w/ the hot weather? I tend to curse the heat up and down and then wonder why i miss it so much when i'm spraining my ankles after falling on ice in the winter...

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hot and sticky in Toronto too. Only my car has air conditioning. I have an oscillating fan turned on me as I type, it helps somewhat. I guess it might be cooler down by the bay. That shouldn't have warmed up yet.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smurfy, you're complaining about 86°F (if I'm doing my math right)? You should come down here to Florida. Today it was 93°F (about 34°C, again if I'm doing my math right). Simply walking to my car makes my skin feel like it's going to peel off. It's so horribly hot. You can stand completely still in the shade and still sweat profusely.

I hate the summers here. Even driving in the car with the air conditioning on, you feel the heat beat through the windows. My boyfriend wears glasses and as soon as he steps out of his car and into the street, his glasses start to fog up. The weather is absolutely yucky down here. We get alot of tourists but I surely don't understand why. Cool weather seems wonderful to me.

I deal with the weather by drinking alot of water and wearing clothes that are light and airy. No denim, fitted clothes, or pants. Alot of dresses, tank tops, and shorts.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suffering right along with you! It has been pretty cold here in NY the past few weeks, and I kept hoping it would warm up.....now I can't wait for fall!! We have no air conditioning yet, I'm sitting here in a tang top and shorts, and am still dying. I wish I lived by a beach so I could swim in some nice cool water.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so it's only 90* F right now in Vegas, but our average temp in summertime months is 109*F, and it's not unusual for it to go right up to 115. So there

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

Finish the fairy tale that you were drunk enough to start - Veruca Salt

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easily 120 degrees out right now. Okay, so it's 105--I have a talent for exaggeration. Still, I think I've got you all beat with that (mwahaha Pixie)! I too have sweating issues, but air condition and pools seem to be answers to the Phoenician's prayer.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha I'm with you Pixie. Although it's barely 95 degrees today, two summers ago we went 28 days straight with temperatures over 100 degrees, of which 12 straight days were over 105, and four were over 110. The peak of the heatwave was a 116-degree day, which was the hottest I had ever experienced it being.

Of course, the most serious problem we have out here is our lack of electricity. If we get heat like that this year, we're screwed...Rolling Blackouts mean we won't have enough power for our air conditioners. I suppose that means it'll be a free-for-all at the beaches!

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its really hot here too. I have central air. Sometimes it gets too cold in here, and I have to go outside and get hot all over again.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, yep, the weather sounds about the same in Toronto as it is here. It's so annoying, having to look decent when it's this hot. Actually, I'm typing in my underwear. "What are you wearing Rizzo?" Call me, and we'll talk (Sorry, I'm feeling silly. My brain must be melting.)
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it doesn't get hot here. maybe about 30ºC (that's alt+167) here. but at home, it's 46ºC in the summer. awful. but there's a swimming pool in the backyard. no pool here, though. but i have an electric fan now.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
Oy ... it's 30oC weather here. And this is Ontario. Land of the igloos. This is so not fair. I would rather it rain and snow forever than have to deal w/ a week of this. My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

Wuss! LOL, J/K, Smurfie. But seriously, it can get up to 40oC (about 104oF) out here! And even worse. It's miserable. Although it is a dry heat, so we don't get that sticky, nasty feeling.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

To a cooler subject. In winter on the Canadian prairies, they say "It's a dry cold, you dont feel it". Well I've been in Edmonton when it was -40C (which, incidently is also -40F). It's not a dry cold that you don't feel. You can't breath at -40 unless you are wearing several layers of muffler. The car heater can never warm outside air at -40. Even the parking meters have plug-in outlets for your block heater, without which, your car will not start.

There, have I chilled you all out?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 06-13-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I cannot believe I am reading this.

All you people who are complaining about the weather, please just get your butts down to Singapore now.

It is 34-36 degrees all year round. And humid. With no wind. Your sweat literally cannot evaporate.

I deal with it by wearing as little as possible and hanging out in shopping centers. But then again, I have dealt with it for 19 years straight. Day in and day out.

We Singaporeans like to tell people we have four seasons as well.

Hot, Hotter, Hottest and Cool. December is the monsoon season where it just pours and pours and pours. Not fun but at least it is cool.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here it's not as bad as Singapore, but it's not even Summer yet and temperatures have been around 39ºC for weeks!

The weather is crazy and getting all switched up between seasons, because the Winter usually is very cold here and this past Winter almost looked like Spring, and even had some typical Summer days!
Weird...

Luckily it's cooled down a bit today and I think it's "only" 32ºC, but when you have to walk up and down around town it's awful!

I don't like hot weather much too, what I like is Spring because it's nice and warm, still not hot

I sweat a lot too, esp. if I'm walking a lot, which happens like everyday during school time '

I've just been out and I arrived home like I had been having a shower Now I'm chilling here eheheh

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ #120172535

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been 95 here today, and I love having a pool and a nice cool, room in the basement! But I love the hot weather, I'm never uncomfortable in it, and it makes me hate the cold even more....

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going :)

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The temperature is STILL climbing ...

On my walk home from school yesterday, it was already 30ºC at 10:30am. That's insane!! W/ the humidex they said it was more like 38ºC !! I think i'll stay inside.

I feel so sorry for you Lin! I would defineatly melt. I love snow and cold weather. But most of the year is snow and cold weather here so i've dealt w/ it

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...it's freezing here in winnipeg. And it's been raining all week. Geez, can't go outside without a sweater even. *sigh* that's what ya get for living in Winterpeg.hehe

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oy ... it's 30oC weather here.

Geez...it's that temperature INSIDE our house right now!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkiePanda
Activist
Member # 4006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkiePanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i live in houston....ugh! the most polluted air in the country, extremely humid, and emtremely hot. i went down to south padre island for four days to enjoy the beach...that is the best heat fighter offer
Posts: 141 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super BubbleGum Gurl
Activist
Member # 2456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super BubbleGum Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All you guys are pretty lucky.
I mean, I've been living in 5 degree (celsius) weather for over 3 weeks now. I'm freezin my booty off!
I'll just have to wait until I get to California and when my sister-in-law takes me to Venice Beach next month.
Sun, blonde dudes with surfboards and old guys in rollerblades....ahh....that's the life.

------------------
Bubbles' online thinking bubble....

Posts: 54 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think all of us Canadians should just lay off on this hot talk, and instead make cold posts in the winter, when we can really 'brag'.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

quote:
Originally posted by Super BubbleGum Gurl:
I'll just have to wait until I get to California and when my sister-in-law takes me to Venice Beach next month.
Sun, blonde dudes with surfboards and old guys in rollerblades....ahh....that's the life.

Eh, sun anyway! LOL, J/K. Just be careful-remember that sunscreen, and the water might be polluted.

"Yes, mother!" LOL.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AAAARRGG All the Celicus readings are confusing me!! I dunno Celicus I only in Ferenhent (is that how you spell that?) (Oh wells).

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to convert from centigrade to fahrenheit:

take ºC measurement and multiply by 9, then divide by 5. add 32. taDA! it's in ºF!

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

A little mnemonic I learned when Canada converted to metric:

30 is hot,

20 is pleasing,

10 is not,

And 0 is freezing!

------------------

- Albert Einstein

Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clever mnemonic, Bobo!

I love heat, and I love humidity. I endure the stickiness with nary a murmur--summer is so precious in this northeastern corner of the U.S. My family doesn't share my enthusiasm: my parents and my brother are wont to stay inside when the temperature soars. Inside with their air-conditioning--how strange!

My latest cooling activity -
My friends and I set two sprinklers beneath our trampoline and dragged the stereo out to the middle of my backyard. We cranked the music to a terrifically loud volume, then jumped. And slid. And danced and sang. 'Twas hilarious, soaking, and ultimately fun.

Of course one can omit the trampoline; jumping through a sprinkler is just as nice.

[This message has been edited by Aquamarine (edited 06-19-2001).]

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was like 35 degrees here in Manitoba today. I almost died at soccer practice, which involved standing around waiting for people to show up, who, in the end didn't. Well, I came home to an air conditioned house, which then froze me to death. So there's not really a medium right now, so I went for the cold rather than the *melting*.

------------------
~*Maro*~

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever want to come to Singapore Aquamarine, you are greatly welcome.

Think the heat and humidity will live up to your expectations.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WinterDragon
Neophyte
Member # 4178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WinterDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here its gets about mid 80's-90's i hate it.i love cold wheather(?cant spell really good)in the winter i sleep with the window open and the fan on.COME BACK WINTER!!!sob sob....

------------------
Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes
Oh no, there is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me.
icq#122285963

[This message has been edited by WinterDragon (edited 06-26-2001).]

Posts: 17 | From: Rolla,Mo | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on !

Why are you complaining, lil smurf ? We barely get summer over here. I must agree that winter is really cold here and that it's better to be cold than hot (cold you can easily warm-up but hot it's hard to cool down)

We already had great hot days (by when this topic started) but it cooled down and now it's all hot again. That's how it'll be all week long. 31'C, 29'C, 32'C... and so on ! Sadly we don't have beaches here (only artificial one) and pools... I never really liked those public ones and I don't own one so I'll stay cool inside with AC.

But you're right (talking to someone, I don't remember who). We should complain in winter too, about being too cold. People in southern US barely now what cold is when it's -40'C over here. Kinda rare to have a cold-wave but it has happened. Although, some people got to experience and small piece of winter last year in US.

Anyway, so happy to have both worlds in Canada.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
super_geek
Neophyte
Member # 4353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for super_geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i be in australia where it is winter and cold,
also i don't understand farenheit temperature

Posts: 20 | From: hell, australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover Cinderella
Neophyte
Member # 4607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover Cinderella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heat I can handel, as long as its dry heat....sticky humid heat drives me nuts!
I live by the water so that keeps the temp down somewhat...but it can still be unbearable. If the fan ever breaks I'm gonna die

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinBall
Neophyte
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalvinBall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

haha, u know what's funny? pigs don't sweat. teehee

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Clinton, OK... the temp has gotten up to 115 degrees! Most of the time, it's never below 110 during the day.

------------------
So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

Can you take me higher?
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher?
To the place with golden streets

~*SHaNNa*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been almost a year to the day since i last posted and guess what!

It's freezing and cold and is raining non-stop. The power in our school was out for 3 hours today and so we sat in the dark. The emergency lights didn't even stay lit. It's kwaziness!

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.