Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » sleeping in school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sleeping in school
cntrygirl1225
Neophyte
Member # 15320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cntrygirl1225     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
every time i go into school i see a desk and ZzZzZzZ what is wrong with me? is it because i go to bed at oh 11 or is it because of some sort of emotional thing going on? help
Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what time do you get up in the morning? When I was in high school I had to go to bed somewhere around 10pm so I could get up at 6 and be in class at 6:50. I'm not sure what your schedule is, but a little extra sleep probably couldn't hurt.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found, over the past years of sleeping in class, that regardless of what time I went to bed, be it 8 or 12, I still could not get up in the morning. Ever. I still can't. I am not awake until after 10 am. I don't know why, but I know it exists, and so does my family, so it's not a problem.

On thing to watch out for: If you fall asleep one day in class, you will be more inclined to do so on another day, then another...It's a nasty habit. Really hard to beat.

------------------
"Come my sisters and brothers,
and listen to my tale,
For I have walked the corridors of heaven,
and finally seen the stars."

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you eating healthy, balanced meals?

A lack of correct nutrition can definately cause you to be sleepy. Make sure that you're eating enough of the right stuff each day. Eating a good breakfast is a great way to start off your morning and help keep you from getting sleepy from lack of nutrition in the mornings! Are you falling asleep around the same time each day in school? You may want to talk to your doctor about charting your blood sugar levels throughout the day...diabetes or hypoglycmia can cause sleepyness when you reach the point where you "bottom out" so to speak. I'm not saying you're diabetic or that there's anything wrong with you...but if you notice it being very predicatble, it would at least be worth mentioning to your health care provider to make sure that it really is not a physical problem of some sort.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah I could never fall asleep at school even when the teachers would let us take a nap, but theres always atleast someone in each of my classes that snores the whole period. Do whatever you can to stay awake, if you sleep in class you'll get a bad rep from teachers and trust me they talk to each other about that kind of stuff.

I always found school interesting so that wasnt a problem for me but if it is for you maybe you should try to take some classes that youre interested in so you wont want to sleep in class.

And If you can sleep in study hall alot of people do, we could do that last year but since our school is failing istep they took our sleeping priviliges away.

And one last thing, 11 is really too late especially in high school. Teens do naturally stay up later but you have to train yourself to go to sleep even when youre not tired.

Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never fell asleep during class, but I remember a guy did all the time in high school. He wasn't failing or anything, in fact he had good grades. Although, it's not something I'd recommend.

I don't know what to say about this. I know I got sleepy in the afternoon after lunch, but since I graduated I haven't felt that way, so maybe it was just because of the lifestyle I had.

But yeah, 11 is quite late to get to sleep when you're in high school. Even afterwards when you get a job ! Unless it's a night job... anyway. I would suggest trying to get to sleep earlier, or at least be in bed even if you're not sleeping yet. It'll relax you at least a bit, and eventually you'll fall asleep. Hopefully you won't fall asleep during the day afterwards.

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never *EVER* fall asleep in a class that has cameras in it. I speak from experience. My buddy PJ and i dozed off in o-chem lecture once. It's a 500+ person lecture, so there was a camera on the prof, projecting her image on a giant screen above.

She had a warped sense of humor, pointing that camera straight at PJ and me.

I never fell asleep in o-chem ever again.

I dunno how stringent your teachers are about food, but i find that sipping a drink during lecture keeps me awake. in physiology class, i'd always be sipping on carrot juice.

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cntrygirl1225
Neophyte
Member # 15320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cntrygirl1225     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
I have found, over the past years of sleeping in class, that regardless of what time I went to bed, be it 8 or 12, I still could not get up in the morning. Ever. I still can't. I am not awake until after 10 am. I don't know why, but I know it exists, and so does my family, so it's not a problem.

On thing to watch out for: If you fall asleep one day in class, you will be more inclined to do so on another day, then another...It's a nasty habit. Really hard to beat.

i agree but it helps me catch up on my zZzZ's

Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a big fan of the Power Nap (tm). I find that if I doze for 20-30 minutes, then i'm all ready to go for the next several hours--even when i'm running on like 4 hours of sleep per night. like now. ah, midterms.

------------------
I don't wanna be like other people are
Don't wanna own a key, don't wanna wash my car
Don't wanna have to work like other people do
I want it to be free, I want it to be true
(New Order)

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that I find makes it difficult to wake up in the morning is darkness. Our bodies are programmed to go to sleep and wake up with the sun, and as such, when we shut our curtains at night, when morning comes, it makes our poor bodies think that they should still be asleep.

Of course, if you're in the northern hemisphere with winter coming on, you may have to get up in the dark anyway, but if you try to get yourself in a lighted room straight away, in combination with going to bed at least an hour earlier, you'll probably see some good results.

Another thing that has helped me sleep better recently also, has been giving up caffinated beverages. Because I sleep better without caffiene, I'm much less sleepy the next day.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.