Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » glasses or contacts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: glasses or contacts?
Gummi Bear
Neophyte
Member # 3949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gummi Bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do yall think.
Posts: 24 | From: Brookes, CA, United States | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have glasses, but that's mostly because I don't need to wear them all the time. Like, I think my perscription is sometime like -.75 and -.50 (left and right eye, respectively). I mostly got them because I like to see detail in the distance and so I could read the chalk/grease board at school.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda_91
Activist
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda_91     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wearing "corrective lenses" for 8 years now. I've had contacts for about 4, and I have to say I love them. I also love glasses now, too. When I think of glasses now, I think of them as a fashion accessory, so I get really excited when I can get a new pair. In public, I'd say the contacts/glasses time is about 70%/30%, but sometimes, I just want to feel smarter, look more intelligent, so I wear my glasses! Whatever you choose is fine-- there are many adorable pairs of glasses out now!

--Karyn

Posts: 60 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using disposable contact lenses a few months ago, but i just couldn't stand 'em. I'm not the kinda person who wears her glasses as much as she should, hehe, so, it was neat at first to see how clear everything was, but it was a hassle having to put them in every morning, and for some reason, by the time i was finished school, they were really dry and uncomfortable.

So, i'd have to say glasses for me.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've got contacts and glasses from...5 years ago that i refuse to wear. my eyes are somewhat bad (left: -2.00 and right: -2.75) so i do need the contacts to read stuff that isn't right in front of my face.
Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize not only girls wear glasses or contacts ... right? Maybe one of the wonderful mods here could move this to one of the other boards

I've never tried contacts. I want to, but i only wear my glasses part time. I'm supposed to wear them all day at school, but i don't. I need them for TV, cpu and distances ... but they're such a pain in the butt. I can't wait til i really have to wear them full time so i can get contacts (dad won't pay for them until i have to wear them all the time)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broccolidiva
Activist
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broccolidiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have glasses right now, but I think I'll be needing them.

Personally, I love glasses! I get fake ones and wear them. They fit a lot of faces and, besides, you push them down the bridge of your nose a bit and TADAH! Naughty librarian! Hee hee!

Contacts just seem like they'd hurt a bit. Sticking things in my eyes? No thanks!

Love,
Brocc

Posts: 66 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old, and I'm 19 now. I'll still be needing them (or contact lens) for as long as I live, unless I go through a cirurgy, and I think I'll be having that soon as my doctor told me I was in the right age.

But... until that arrives... I've sticked to my so-loved glasses as I'm so used to wear them around and I love the pair I have now, it's really trendy

I also think I look better with them on, but maybe that's because I can't see myself in the mirror without them! I just think my face looks too empty eheh

But in general, I think one should go for the option he/she feels more comfortable using, and what looks better, making sure it's the right solution to the problem (because we all know we can need glasses for all sorts of problems and there are some for which contacts are not advisable, and even some people who can't wear those because their body rejects them).

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ #120172535

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amongthethorns
Neophyte
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amongthethorns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contacts all the way! They're so convenient! I couldn't get them in for the longest time and I'd sit there going "daymut" for like half an hour but now that I've had them for a few weeks, I'm getting the hang of it. They're really convenient when you move around alot.. you just have to be careful that you dont rub your eye too much.. I did that once and when I went to the mirror.. it was completely folded over.. OUCH! Doesnt hurt that bad tho. The only problem is money.. I cant believe my grandparents could afford that!

------------------
"When a person doesn't express theirself, they die one piece at a time."

Posts: 21 | From: Cambria, California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both contacts and glasses. I especially like my "geek" glasses. I usually wear my contacts though, becuase my old glasses are so outta style, but I'm getting some trendier ones before school starts. Then I'll probably end up wearing glasses more often. The only problem with contacts for me, is that my eyes are very sensitive, so there are days when I can't even wear them because they hurt so bad.

------------------
*^Lucky^*

"I could rip your eyelid off..."

"No, Don't do it! I need it to seal my plan.."

"Why?"

"Because it's so devious I need to wink."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wearing glasses for probably about 8-9 years now.

At first I didn't liked the idea but since I needed them I just wore them at school.

Now I'm a full-time glasses "promoter". I can't distinguish without them so I have them all day long, even in the shower.

I've never liked the idea of having something into my eye so I've never tried contact lenses. And I guess I'll never do either.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have contact lenses. they're a pain in the keister. i only wear them when wearing glasses is not a good idea (to concerts, mostly). i love my glasses. they don't dry out my eyes after 8 hours of wear. i look okay either way, so it's not so much a matter of appearances. i've gota great clunky pair of cat eye glasses, but i can't wear them till i replace their lenses -- too strong, gives me a headache!

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super BubbleGum Gurl
Activist
Member # 2456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super BubbleGum Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had glasses since I was about 11 (I'm 13 now). And since then I had always wanted blue contacts. My parents didn't particularly like the idea of the "sticking silicone in your eyes" so I didn't get them. Until one unfortunate day when I was at PE and one of the guys flinged a basketball at my face--my glasses broke, I got a black eye and all he could say was "oops."
So thats when my mum and dad got me some blue contacts. They don't really suit me, but they're really cool!
But they kinda hurt to put in at first but, once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.
But I'm gonna stick to my glasses....unless it's PE day, of course.

------------------
The Bubble Blog...

Posts: 54 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both. Glasses if I'm not going to school or to diving or gymnastics. Contacts are a must for me if I'm to be able to do anything in sports. I'm legally blind without my glasses/contacts, so I couldn't really survive without them. Oh, and I guess if I'm going to a dance or anywhere else where I want to look good to other people (read: end my single status).
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was between the ages of 8 and 11, I wore reading glasses. I've always been farsighted, although when I turned 11 it suddenly became less of a problem and I was able to function without glasses at all.

But the funny thing is, I think wearing glasses did something to me back then...because now I find women who wear glasses incredibly sexy.

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to get contacts in high school because I did a lot of plays and things of that nature, and my director hated the glare. It'd hurt when I put them in, hurt when i was wearing them, and hurt when I took them out.

Tried wearing contacts again my first year of college, because my partner hated girls in glasses. I did all right with them until I got pregnant - my eyes must have changed shape or something, because they kept falling out.

So now again I'm a glasses girl. I have the tiniest frames in the world and they're a lovely pinky-purple color. Mauve, i think it's called. And my son cries his little heart out when I'm not wearing them.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear those black framed kind.. but only for long distance. I think they're sexy!
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones I wear are just like those black framed type you wear, lilnerd, only when I tried the black ones I thought they were too heavy for my face so I got them in dark red and I think they're even cooler because most people have them in black

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 6 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, ive been wearing glasses for a long time
since fourth grade
and in eighth, i got contacts
let me tell you
AMAZING!
i only wear my glasses when its ABSOLUTETLY necessary
i hate them, they make me look so silly
i stick to contacts thankyouverymuch
ORTHO-K all da WAY!

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both. I wear glasses when I am in a hurry or don't feel like dealing with putting in contacts or sometimes they are just a fashion acessory. I wear contacts when I want to put cool eye make-up on and I think contacts can be less of a hassle because there is nothing to worry about on your face. Both have advantages and disadvantages. But I love them both.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started wearing glasses in 6th grade and got contacts shortly after. But my contacts were incorrectly fitted and so they hurt terribly. So I went for years wearing glasses because I was afraid it would hurt again. Then I got a new eye doc who convinced me to try them again because they were so much safer for me since I was a cheerleader and played basketball. They worked perfectly!

So anyway, now I wear either glasses or contacts, and I really do like having either option.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissThang2004
Neophyte
Member # 4310

Icon 6 posted      Profile for MissThang2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wear my glasses when i want to feel smart and i have NON presctiption colored contacts that are just a fashion accesory...i have 6 different colors of contacts for my outfit or mood...and my glasses are there for me to see but my frames are also REALLY hot so they r like profyle glasses ...if i wanna check out some fly fellas i just tilt my head and look over the rim of my glasses and BAM.....they givin start giving me the "i wanna get to know you" looks..... hehe...so i use both..... ...i have on pair of prescription contacts that i dont use cuz it gets my dizzy...i cant have my glasses on all the time....only when i cant see far away....
Posts: 20 | From: woodbridge, va, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate how I look in my glasses. Luckily I have split vision so I really don't need them since I can get by without them. My eye doctor recommends that I wear them though even though he said that it isn't vital. No one really outside of my immedaite family has ever seen me in them. If anyone ever sees me actually wearing them, then they're incredibly lucky Unlike when I was in high school or college, at least I know where they are now.
Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 12 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear baby blue contacts. I have glasses, but I don't like the way they look on me, so now I have been wearing prescription baby blue contacts for a year and a half. I love my contacts, except for the fact that they make my eyes water, sometimes they come out, and I have put them in the wrong way quite a few times! Talk about pain...!

------------------
'Cause I'm just a girl, little ol' me
Don't let me out of your sight
I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights
Oh... I've had it up to here!

justagirl04

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had glasses for about 6 months now. My problem is i don't wear 'em, at all! Once in a blue moon i might put them on.

------------------
*~*Golden*~*

*A person that asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, a person who doesn't is a fool forever*

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my contacts, couldn't live without them. AcuVue Torics rock.

I was never able to find a pair of glasses I actually liked for the 9 or so yeard I wore them. It was always "settle," and I always thought I looked better without glasses.

On the up side, people seem to rarely question someone dressed normally and wearing glasses. They got me out of trouble often.

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brownbag
Neophyte
Member # 4426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brownbag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have both contacts and glasses but i prefer contacts i have had them since the 7th grade and i love them. i only wear my glasses at home b/c i dont like how they look glasses just arent comfortable. well thats what i think!
Posts: 6 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferret18
Neophyte
Member # 4745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferret18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laser correction surgery... nuff said

or cantacts but glasses work to, you should pick what ever you like better, try then both

ferret

Posts: 6 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ferret18:
laser correction surgery... nuff said

Unfortunately, not all of us can afford the wonders of laser vision correction...which can run in the thousands of dollars, and include several pre and post-operation doctors visits that run the cost to a substantially higher level. Just something to keep in mind

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plum736
Neophyte
Member # 4321

Icon 9 posted      Profile for plum736     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i LUV wearing my contacts. i've had them for about 2 or so years. i can't stand wear glasses. i've been wearing glasses for about all my life!! i only wear my glasses and home. frinds rarely see me with my glasses on! But now i'm sad cuz i tore one of my contacts about a week ago at camp
Posts: 2 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalalalalala
Neophyte
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalalalalala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have glasses. When my eye doctor first told me that I needed glasses (in 9th or 10th grade), I got upset and really wanted to wear contacts instead. But after a few years of wearing glasses (I don't wear them all the time, though), I really don't mind them. I actually kind of like them. They help me see better (obviously) and wearing them's not a big deal. I don't even want to try wearing contacts; it seems uncomfortable and expensive and a hassle. I think that I look better with glasses. I saw these cool blue frames, but my mother wouldn't buy them. I used to want to get laser eye surgery but it's really expensive and it's not even guaranteed to help. Plus, some people's vision has actually gotten worse because of it or they needed to go back for more visits.
Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.