Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What do you want to be when you get older?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you want to be when you get older?
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont have any clue what I want to be when I get older now. Im in my senior year in high school and I have no clue. I am interning for real estate, but I dont like that anymore. 1. I dont want to work 80 hours a week, when I have a family.

2. I want to get a pay check every week, and have benefits. If I dont sell a house, I dont get paid.

3. I want to have a normal family when I get older.

So I dont know. I really dont have any clue what to do. What do you want to do? Give me some suggestions????

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, Well first you probably have to define what a "normal family" is. I'm not sure such a thing really exists...or maybe it's just that everything qualifies as a normal family.

I'd say don't stress too much right now about what you want to be. It's good to have an idea, but honestly, that's what you go to college for. Most people change their major (and/or future plans) two or three times while in college. I myself had always been absolutely positive about what I wanted to do with my life. I had it all planned out, right down to the last dime. And now, I'm doing something that I always said I'd never do, and I really have no clue exactly what I'll do when I get out. I think that goals and an idea of where you're going is great, but don't let it stress you.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't stress about it too much at this point. Take some career testing, shadow different professionals during your offtime, take a wide range of classes when you get to college (of course, I'm assuming you're going to college...some people don't go, college isn't for everyone sometimes) and find out what you really love. You'll find that most people don't really have all the answers at your age (heck, hardly anybody my age has all/any of the answers either), and that more than half the fun is the road that takes you to wherever you end up.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazz
Activist
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that has been stressing me out a bit lately as well. I have absolutely no idea what i want to do later in life.

Right now im majoring in journalism, and my minor is public relations, but i honestly have no idea if i want to do either of them. And i used to think i really did.

I have to say that i also hope to have a family and steady income when i get older. And i have to also agree with KittenGoddess in saying that it s kinda fun just letting life take you where it takes you. Just follow your heart and do what you really want, even if that means changing your mind a gazillion times.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment, my goals are:

- Go back to school this fall, start working on my pyschology degree. Eventually, find a school where I can do post-grad work in psychology and human sexuality so I can become a sexologist someday.

- Figure out how to do the whole freelance writer thing, and get that going well enough that I don't have to keep doing mindless menial jobs just to pay the bills.

- At some point in all of that, move to a major city, preferably NYC or San Francisco.

- Eventually, once I'm done with school and we have a reasonably stable life, add a pug and a kid or two to our family. A few more cats would be good too.

All subject to change at any moment.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
I'd say don't stress too much right now about what you want to be. It's good to have an idea, but honestly, that's what you go to college for. Most people change their major (and/or future plans) two or three times...

Kitten is absolutely right. When I was younger I thought I had everything all planned out nicely, but it seemed like things never worked out the way I had anticipated. No matter though, I have been fortunate enough to sort of fall into new routines when the old ones failed to materialize.

I think that is just the way life is. We plan and work and strive for things, only to find that they lead us into other things instead. I was happy as a clam working for the police department, when suddenly an injury cropped up that sort of stymied that plan. It was devastating, but now I've found myself in a place I like even more.

Life is going to throw curveballs at you, no matter how much you plan and come up with contingency arrangements. The best thing to do is to be what my dad calls "rigidly flexible." Be rigid in your work ethic, but be bendable enough to adapt to a changing environment. If you can master that, you've got it made...no matter what your goals in life are.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in fifth grade I had my whole life planned. I was going to graduate high school with a 4.7 GPA, I was going to be a cheerleader, in Key Club and National Honor Society, I even knew what organizations I would volunteer for. I'd rack in the scholarships, go to Harvard, and become a lawyer.

Since then I've *finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up!* many a time. I wanted to be a psychiatrist, a kindergarten teacher, a high school english teacher, an orthodontist.

Right now the plan is to own a bookstore/cafe, but I still have a few years before I even get to college.

------------------
What can I say? Mz. Scarlet rocks my bobby socks.

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have another year of high school after this one, but i have some ideas for when i'm done. I'm gonna go to university for sure, and i'm interested in social work and the arts. I'm not sure if that's what i want to pursue yet, however.

My brother recently enrolled in this program to teach english in non-english countries. It's really neat because you don't even have to know their language. You get to travel a lot and it sounds like a really interesting thing to do, so when i finish university i'm planning to do that for a few years.

None of this is for sure...i still have a lot of time to decide "what i want to be when i grow up"

------------------
'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a first year senior (in Ontario that means gr 12 ... b/c we have gr 13 too) and i know what i want to do. I didn't really have a choice, b/c college apps were due in Feb 1

I've wanted to be somewhere in the medical field ever since i was really little ... like 7 years old. That went from nursing, to vet assistant, to vet, to obstetrician, to orthodontist, to pediatrician, to midwife, and now i'm at nurse-midwife

My goals are to graduate high school w/ half decent grades. I'm more of the type to strive for average ... I know i can get average, so i'm not worried (This has been the subject of many many lectures by my parents and family friends). I'm hoping to get into a good college, then i'm hoping i'll make the right decision when it comes time to decide b/w what college to go to and what program to take (RN vs RPN) ...

Following college, i plan to start a family. I'm hoping mine will be normal too, but ya never know I really really would like to be a midwife, but i'll settle for being a labor and delivery nurse. My passion is w/ health, natural medicine, preventative care, sexuality and baby making ... So it all fits

As for you, dearie ... As the kitten said, career testing is a really good idea. I do'nt know about there, but they do that through our guidance department. There are also a ton of them online, if you get bored one day Job shadowing is fun too. I did that in gr 11 entrepreneurship and that's when i decided that i didn't want to be a vet!

Best of luck hun

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh no! I'm graduating college in, like, 3 months and i STILL have no clue what i want to be. I know i want to do something that's socially meaningful, something where i can come home at the end of the day and really feel like i'm making a difference in the world. Like prolly something with a non-profit organization...i'd love to find one that dealt with sexuality, teens, education, sexual health, or some combination of all of that. I want a job where i can write, and maybe do research...like grant writing or something...i think!

Basically all i DO know right now is what i have absolutely ruled out as a career: doctor, dentist, banker, law enforcement, and, well, that's actually all i've really ruled out.

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plans. Gotta love them, and how they don't work out.

Right now, I'm getting ready to finish my Senior year here in Michigan and getting ready to head off to a community college for my first year of college. The fact of the matter is my GPA isn't fantastic (2.5 on the 4.0 scale), and I am yet to take my college boards (ACTs/SATs), so I just have to postpone that four year University for at least a year.

Hell, I still haven't even determinded where I want to go to college. I've got quite a few options for post-highschool: one of my friends wants me to go here, one wants me to go there, and yet another wants me to come out to California. Let's not forget that there are also my plans to consider. I'm sure it will work out, eventually, when I finally make a decision.

As for career paths, for the longest time (and still, there are some yearnings within me) I've wanted to be a lawyer. I feel that I can make a difference practicing criminal defense law or some type of special interest law (maybe with the ACLU?). And, my dream is to attend law school at Stanford, but I know that Tim will be working Tim's a** off in undergrad to make that happen.

Like I've said though, at this point, I really have no plans set in stone, and who the hell knows how things will work out.

------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out of high school for 3 years and I'm still not completely sure what I want to do I'm currently very actively searching for an apprenticeship at a funeral home so I can get my funeral director's license -- here in Missouri, you just need a high school diploma or a GED, and a year's apprenticeship. After that, I will be going to a school of mortuary science for 12 months so I can get my embalmer's license. So by the time my little one is in preschool, I plan to be a fully licensed funeral director and embalmer. This job isn't for everyone, though -- most people I've discussed it with think it's gruesome and morbid. I think it's more of a service to the *living*, and there will always be a need for this service. I am not doing it because I love death; I am doing it because I love life.

But if I don't like it, I'll keep my options open -- I'm interested in being an LPN, a cosmetologist, an archaeologist, a consorvationist, a teacher... something tells me I'll be in school for a long, long time.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I mean by *normal* family?

A family that sits down together for dinner, at least once and a while. A family that is there for eachother when necessary. A family that can be together without someone working all the time. That what I mean, I guess.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeaceAngel
Activist
Member # 7466

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PeaceAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be a journalist or a reporter. I also would really like to be a famous author. My dream, although it is unlikely, is to be known in America for bringing peace amongst people in America by showing that acceptance is the key to happiness and judging isn't worth your time. I also would like to be the founder of a teen magazine that I have put a lot of thought into. I want to call it "Peace". It will be a magazine about acceptance, polotics, news interesting to teens, and life stories about people just like you and me, and also life stories and testimonies of celebrities. I really do hope this magazine will get on the market.
Before I do any of these things, though, I would like to finish highschool!

------------------
~It takes all kinds of people to make our world interesting and it takes acceptance to make our world peacful.~

Posts: 46 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be a P.E. teacher and Chemistry teacher when I'm older. I really love sport and I really want to teach kids and pass on my love of Science and sport. And plus, it means I have to go to another city for university so thats an added bonus!! Away from this crappy place. And also, my sister went to the college I have to go to and she said it hs like the most brilliant gay and lesbian society ever!!!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a freshman in high school, so I still have 3 (short) years ahead of me until I graduate.

I want to go into the army, and the college there. I want to do something in the medical field, maybe a nurse. LilBlueSmurf, could you tell me more about being a midwife?

If I decide the army isn't right for me, I'd like to go with my original plan -- A&M because it's a good school and I love the campus, the traditions, and my cousins went there

I still don't know exactly what the future holds for me, but we'll find out... eventually

------------------
Don't Mess With Texas.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 04-17-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, I have it pretty simple.

I can ignore my desires for only so long, think practical liek buisness or such <shudder>, but every time I step into a theatre, and warm glow literally goes up from my toes up to everywhere.

I've beena ccepted to theatre school, the only (big) obstacle will be when I graduate. Theatre doesn't exactly pay a lot.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewishpunk
Activist
Member # 8056

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jewishpunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I grow up I want to be some kind of scientist. Either an archaeologist, a paleontologist or an oceanographer. Not sure which. Not that I don't have a whole lot of time to think about it though I'm only in 6th grade. (If you're wondering, I started school late.)
Posts: 67 | From: Some unknown planet beyond the solar system. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charming_girl
Neophyte
Member # 8073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charming_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every since I was young, I've always wanted to be a doctor and help out others. But as I've grown, I realized how much time that would take away from my family. I want to be a good mother and wife but I also want my own career as a doctor. I guess I'll just have to go along and see what happened and try to balance it out.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxAmy2005xX
Neophyte
Member # 8291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxAmy2005xX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wanted to be a veterinarian. Other professions I am thinking about is modeling- not sure which kind, hair stylist, cosmotologist- or how ever it is spelled. Also, I think it would be cool to be a pharmacist.
Posts: 27 | From: House Springs, Missouri, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be Master Yoda when I grow up. Or Mistress Yoda, I guess.

Seriously, I'm almost out of uni, and I just see myself keeping my options open. I can see several different paths that my life could take in which I could be happy and well off, and I'm content to take things one day at a time, and let the perfect thing crop up when the time is right. I don't think it would be wise for me to push myself into one path simply for the sake of it, until something pops up as being the absolutely right option for me.

Remember those lines from Everybody's Free (to wear a sunscreen) by Quindon Tarver:
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life:
the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives;
some of the most interesting 40 year olds that I know still don't.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Beppie, i absolutly love that song. It has some of the best advice you can ever get!

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
news_bunny98
Neophyte
Member # 8310

Icon 6 posted      Profile for news_bunny98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i plan on being somth thing usless like a beach bum or be in a mad band. i had my whole life planned out before high school and like i wanted to be married by about 23 and go to uni etc now i dont plan on settling down till about 30 or some thing
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 12 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wanna get married, and be a housewife. great plans, eh? well, i also want to be an English teacher. Writing and English are my passion. and if i use bad grammar its only because i have bad english teachers. and i want to change that. heh. well anyways, i still have lots of time to plan it out...but i think i wil just go with the flow. after all i am only a sophomore in high-school.

------------------
later rox.
shorter signature, yes?

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livin&lovin_it
Neophyte
Member # 8604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livin&lovin_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished my freshmen year of high school..so I've got 3 years to decide.

And go to OU ( University of Oklahoma) I would love to be into Sports Medicine..as in a Sports Phsyican or something along those lines. But I would also like to be an Architect.

Posts: 3 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiechick88
Neophyte
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiechick88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to be a dential highgentist:::someone who works with a dentist!
luv ya, dixie!

Posts: 9 | From: Chicago,IL,USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beppie -- I remember that song!!!
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etoile
Neophyte
Member # 8657

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Etoile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look at my surroundings and realize what I dont want to do with my life. Not to be mean, but I do not want to end up like any of my relatives, none of which have had extensive schooling. I dont want to struggle to support myself and/or my family and I dont want to settle for less than what I deserve.
Im very involved in the drama department in my school and many people think that I should persue a career in acting, but that isn't practical. 50 million people wanna 'make it big' and only a handful do. I dont plan on wasting my life waiting for a dream that, odds are, wont come true.
I thought I wanted to be a social worker, psychiatrist, singer, artist, marine biologist.....

you have to know what you dont want....then you'll get to what you do want.

------------------
No one's a virgin....Life screws everyone

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be a Vet. because I love animals, but I might want to be something cool, like a hair stylist or makeup artist.
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I grow up I want to be a vetrenarian/air plane pilot/tatoo artist/piercist/mother/cover art designer/music producer and a wonderful wife. Maybe even a ferret farmer. Who knows? Maybe I will do it all
Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally I want to make it big as a writer and poet. But that is a really big dream and I know how hard those are to achieve. Most likely, that will be a part time bit for me. I'll always write no matter what in my spare time anyway. So I guess that's just my life's path or whatever.
As for making money. I'm still exploring options. I'm kind of interested in management, but only because I want to start my own business later, a little bookstore. (You can probably tell how much I love everything literature.) Lately, though, I've been thinking it would make a lot of sense for me to be a psychologist. Seriously. Even my step mom thinks so. I counsel people all the time and it's just what I do and is in my nature to do, so why not get my degree and get paid for it? I mean, I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. And then I could do some good for the world.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.