Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Not busy this summer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not busy this summer?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
then how about going to summer school?

don't cringe just yet! i was talking about finding a college or a university and attending for the summer. a lot of colleges have open enrollment in the summer, during which time community members AND high school students can register for classes.

when i was in 11th grade, my guidance counserlor recommended that i spend the summer away from home and sampling college life.

i enrolled in a summer program for high school students at UC Santa Barbara. I took Econ 1 with regular college students, but I lived with people my own age ... in a dorm on the beach. I spent six weeks away from home living by the beach with loads of independence, and all I had to do was learn supply and demand!

I got transferable uni. credits. I met great people. I came back a changed person. I can't guarantee that the experience will make you a better or different person, but at least you'll have a start on your university transcript. And it looks good on a college app

check out: http://summer.berkeley.edu http://summer.ucla.edu

uhh, i don't have many urls off the top of my head, but if you search online forany college, they'll have info about summer sessions on their website somewhere.

and did i mention i lived on the beach? that was pretty cool.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like it

im taking an extra class so that i might be able to meet graduation requirements early.

there are also sign language classes, forgien language classes, art, photo, things like that

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to take some college classes or get a part-time job 4 the summer
Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna sell this idea again. Summer bridge programs are a great thing. You get a taste of college life and you get an education. It looks great on college apps later on. And if you paly your cards right, it's 2 months without parents! wooHOO!

anyway, I did attend UCSB in the summer of 1997, and I tell you, it was a life-altering experience. When I came back, I had a new-found confidence, ambition and felt more motivated than I had been in a long time. I felt like I could do anything. And I made some great friends. I even fell in love. It's the stuff movies are made of.

hey, you could attend my alma mater: http://summer.berkeley.edu

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.