Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Farewell to the Frog... and Us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Farewell to the Frog... and Us?
christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know that this is not an eco-forum BUT.... in that general kind of "the end of the world is nigh" way - i wanted to share this because i, for one, genuinely believe that we are seriously buggering up the environment (and yes, i take a shopping bag when i go shopping and try always to buy organic at Whole Foods etc. i don't have a car (IN LA - HUGE KUDOS but the bus system is not too bad despite the bad press) however i fly like crazy, which is probably worse than all the other things put together and do a billion other crap things but here is what the guardian says today and i reckon it is a SIGN.....

A third of the world's amphibian species are in danger of extinction, according to the first ever global survey of the animals. Scientists think that the mysterious collapse in numbers might be a warning that our environment may be in a worse state than we think - amphibians are known to be the most sensitive of all animals to subtle changes in their ecosystems.

I MEAN a third!!!!! this is serious surely. Right I am signing off now - this is procrastination in the extreme I DO NOT want to start working on what I got to work on -- it's been bugging me for days and I just got to grit my teeth, smoke a cigarette to concentrate my mind and get on with it!!!! I am not surfing anymore until I have made a start... all the best to you's

Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, rather than smoking that cigarette and creating your own personal piece of smog, why not go to a library, which LA county's various cities all have, and look into what you can do to maybe effect some kind of change? Not to sound unkind, but there's a lot more that can be accomplished by your own action than griping about the general state of things.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

I've made up your mind.

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 10-17-2004).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey milke - what's with unkind?? nothing unkind anyway as you put it so well in your byline you made up my mind... when i get back to LA - that's it I'm becoming an eco-fanatic even if i have to live in a tree (well maybe not that extreme). anyways honestly wasn't meant to be a gripe (although i am good at that normally) was meant to be more along the lines of a DIRE warning that the end of the world is upon us or something like that!?! all the best cj
Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blink
Activist
Member # 18892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I didn't realize things were that bad. Thanks for posting this wake-up call, cj. I'm going to look into things that we can do and post them.
Posts: 106 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.