Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » rumors suck :*(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rumors suck :*(
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever had to deal with a rumor going around about you? Well, i am now. It's not like ultra bad, but it's about me and a guy...and the thing is I don't want him to get upset! If he hears about it, he might think I said something to someone, and I really don't wanna mess up our relationship cus i really dig him. What am I to do?

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U cant get rid of a rumour (believe me I suffer from them plenty). But u can take solice in the fact that most people dont take them too seriously, or atleast I dont. Oh there is no point in trying to deny them. Its a bit like a witch hunt trial, the more u profess innocence the more guilty people think u r. Just ingnore them and mayb explain to this guy but only him what its all about.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had to deal with a rumour before..a VERY VERY bad one. See, my friend decided she didn't want to be friends with me anymore, just so she could desperately try to fit in with the popular group..and to do so she decided to start a rumour about me (I guess the only good thing was that it backfired on her). She spread this rumour that I was in this "group" that was plotting violent things against the popular group. I mean come on, I wouldn't even hurt a fly. Anyway, The principal (a nun) at my school searched my locker, my bookbag, and then confiscated my journal which I kept with me..so she could read it to make sure there was no evidence in it. I had a cassette tape in my bookbag from the ride to school and the principal even wanted to know what was on it! Did she really expect me to say anything different than "Spice Girls"? That day I cried the hardest I've ever cried..because that rumour was just not true, and I didn't understand why they would believe someone like her (the girl desperately wanted to drink fingernail polish remover to see what would happen to her..no kidding). Anyway, her bookbag and locker got searched too..but she didn't have anything personal in hers like I did. But in the end, that was 2-3 years ago, and I'm over it now, though it still hurts when I think about it because I always thought she was a true friend.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, it often happens that the more private a person you are, the more people wil extraoplate, because they assume you're keeping secrets, rather than living your own life, and a lot of people are so bored by their lives that they need that sort of drama.

I recall all too well that when I was in public high school (I never had this problem after I transferred to an arts school where everyone was too busy and inspired to be bothered with this kinda crud), that in a year span alone, I apparently:

- Killed my boyfriend (false, my boyfriend killed himself) and went to jail (try the police station to identify his body)
- Was a lesbian (false, I was bisexual, but had no active partners during that year)
- Was a prostitute who gave blow jobs on park benches (false, I was homeless for a while and simply slept on park benches)
- Was really an adult, not a 14/15 year-old (false -- and you'd have to wonder why I'd want to willingly be in high school)
- Was schitzophrenic (false)
- Was sleeping with a teacher to get good grades(false, I studied to get good grades)
- Was a cokehead (false again)
- Was a homicidal maniac (umm, no)

I could go on. Really, people will do it. They're bored and they're usually fairly unimaginative, however, to your benefit, rumor-spreaders are often prolific. In other words, they won't stop at you. You'll get boring quick, and they'll move on.

Just ignore it, be you, and give as much or as little information to people about your life as feels right to you.

Posts: 68032 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Miz Scarlet that rumor-spreaders are generally just people looking to get their hands on some drama... it so rarely has anything to do with real life.

In college, a rumor was going around that I was sleeping with an older, married grad student. We had both heard the rumor and were both flabbergasted by it (we were friends, but that was it, and we actually weren't even remotely attracted to one another!). So we asked around and found out who had started the rumor, and one day, we happened to be in the cafeteria at the table next to the person who had started the rumor.

So my friend looked at me and said, in a really loud voice, "So, did you hear that we're sleeping together?"

"No, really?" I replied. "So, is it any good?"

"Hard to say," my friend replied. "But sure, I mean, I guess we wouldn't be doing it if we weren't having a good time, right? But I don't know. Maybe we should ask [Name of person who started the rumor], she'd know!"

We sat there and carried on a normal conversation after that, and watched the person who had started the rumor turn bright red, get REALLY fidgety, and get up and walk out of the cafeteria.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I confess, I've done something similar.

In my second year of college, I had to use a cane for six months due to a serious back injury. To top that off, my partner was in England for a few months before I could go join him.

There was a housing shortage that year, and one new girl was left with nowhere to house, so I said she was welcome to have the extra room in our flat while Jim was away. That same day, another new student arrived -- a stunningly gorgeous, fantastically witty, VERY gay man. The new girl rooming with me decided on her own that because my boyfriend wasn't in town, I was sadly short of sex, and that because I couldn't walk on my own, I needed help getting it. She told Thomas (the new guy), after seeing he and I having coffee one afternoon, that she bet if he helped me around the house, I'd sleep with him. Turns out, she'd told this to essentially ALL the new students -- that I was sexually available for the price of taking out our garbage. He immediately reported this to me, and after my anger subsided, we giggled madly and hatched a plan.

He slept over that night, and we set the alarm for 2 AM and when we knew my new roomate was sleeping, we began grunting and groaning and shouting "oh baby " (which is very hard to do when you're trying not to laugh) at the top of our lungs, while jumping on the bed to make it creak. The next morning, Thomas cavorted around the house in his skivvies making me breakfast, calling me sweetie and GRACIOUSLY thanking said roomate for basically prostituting me to her.

Lo and behold, that same day, she told everyone we were an item and she was responsible. That evening, she and I walked home from class in silence, until she couldn't take it anymore and begged me for the dirt on my new "romance."

She: So, is it love?

Me: It might be.

She: It sounded pretty hot!

Me: Oh, it was.

She: You know, I have to confess -- I set it up for you.

Me: Oh, you did? How incredibly nice of you.

She: Oh, it's not problem, I could tell you needed a little help. I sure hope it works out.

Me: Oh, I sure did, and me too. Hopefully I can get on those steroids as soon as possible.

She: Steroids, why?

Me: How else am I going to complete with his boyfriend, silly girl?

There was a long, LONG moment of silence. Finally...

She: Oh jeez, I had no idea. How can I fix this?

Me: Easy. One, get a clue and shut yer yap. Next, pack your bags, chica. This ride stops here. There's a park bench down the street where you can figure out how to make it up to me.

And so it went. Needless to say, she had a LOT of explaining to do around campus, and no time to spread rumours while apartment-hunting.

I do have to say, though, Thomas and I solidified a great friendhsip that way.

Posts: 68032 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, Miz Scarlet that was hysterical!! But really, it was all a matter of who I trusted in this situation because it was just blown out of proportion. i just hope this won't put a strain on OUR relationship.

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 12-22-2000).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Icky, icky rumors. Sometimes they're just a bunch of bored people making up stories about your life that really have no effect and you just don't make a big deal about it and they go away. But then there are rumors which can really hurt and cause problems.

When I was in 10th grade I got pregnant, in about 5 minutes it seemed like everyone knew (I went to a small Catholic high school, rumors spread FAST!). I started getting morning sickness pretty bad the first few weeks so I stopped going to school and got a tutor to keep up. A few weeks later I had a miscarriage, then because I was upset and depressed, stayed out of school a few more months. When I came back I found people giving me weird looks.....the rumors had spread. One was that I had an abortion, which is the last thing you want to hear when you've lost a baby. Next was that I had the baby but gave it up. The next was that I had it but didn't talk about it because I was ashamed. And there were probably many more. The most annoying thing was no one ever thought to ask me what really happened, so only people who were close to me knew the truth. It upset me because it was something serious that happened to me and people had fun making stories up about it, that hurt me.

I think what you should do is talk to the guy about it. If he's a good person, he'll understand. And maybe even talk to the people spreading the rumors, maybe you and the guy can talk to them together. Hope everything turns out okay for you.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah rumors, its okay if you spread them, but when its about you, then you feel terrible. I really never spread any rumors, I always knew it was wrong to hurt other people.

When I was in 10th grade, I was at a basketball game with my boyfriend (it ws at my school) and JV was playing and I cheerlead for varsity, so I watched the game with my boyfriend and we talked and watched he game. And the next day at school, there was a rumor going aroung about me that I had sex with my boyfriend in the stands. hmmmm was I really? Well I certainly wasnt aware of this. It was a stupid rumor, but whats even more werid, is that some people actually believed the people who started it. lol..I didnt care, because I knew that it wasnt true, and my good friends and my other friends knew too.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this qualifys as a rumor but...

One day I was over at my brother and sister inlaws (now ex-sis inlaw) and they were talking about their friends and one of their friends had a little brother about my age that hung around with them too...but this is all background info. N E ways...

...so here they are just talking about what they did with their friends that weekend and they mentioned their friends little brothers name and my little sister was like "Kelly (Me)is going out with him." and they were like "She is??? Why didn't you tell us?" and I was like "I don't even know who he is" (which I didn't at the time...little sisters can be so annoying) and they were like "You can tell us" and I repeated "I have no idea who he is, so will ya atleast tell me who I'm going out with?". They were like "you know who he is." and I was like "No I dont." It took me like an hour to get them to tell me who he was and another half and hr. to get them to believe I wasn't going out with him. And I'm not even sure they believed me then....

And I repeat little sisters can be so annoying.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're telling me....

------------------
~dont underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers~

~Duck tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and binds the world togther~

I'm ~You*Know*Who~ and I am a redneck. Anyone for mud?

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooohhhh...rumor sharing...can i share a couple?

where should i start?

* in 7th, i was supposedly the BIGGEST slut in the school (7th thru 12th) when all i did was kiss 3 guys within a month.

* in 9th, again the BIGGEST slut (different school in a different country) for being the girlfriend to a "male slut" (funny how i never did anything with him cuz i was a virgin)

* in 10th, rumors about my boyfriend and some other girl

* in 11th, i was pregnant TWICE!! what happened to the babies...i don't know! trying to trap my boyfriend by getting pregnant. and engaged.

* in 12th, pregnant AGAIN! and cheating on my boyfriend with this FRIEND.

------------------
**Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted**

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.