Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Fruit..and...stuff!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fruit..and...stuff!
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently went on a 500 calorie diet, and I have to obviously buy low-cal foods from the grocery store..and I was wondering something: How many calories are in bananas? apples? grapes?? There's no thingy to tell you this info at the store (or at least not that I'm aware of). Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
500 cals? Gurl thats low, maybe 1000 would be better. I dont want you to starve yourself! But, apples and bannanas dont have a lots of cals.

Bannanas:
Fresh 1/2 lb. 131 calories
Fresh, 1 average, 87 cal
Fresh, slicies, 1/2 cup~64 cal

Apples:
Fresh, peeled, 1 average~ 66cals
Fresh unpeeled 1 average~ 80 cals
Baked with brown sugar, 1 average~ 184 cals

Grapes:
Fresh 1/2 cup~ 33 cals
Canned, water packed, 1/2 cup w/ liquid~ 36 cals

If you wanna know any other cals, let me know okay?
Just make sure you get the foods you need OK, not just fruits but other nutrional things. You can also take vitamans, I take some. I care I dont want you to get hurt
------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 11-24-2000).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
500 calories is NOT enough for even the most sedentary person to be healthy with. The minimum amount of calories -- BARE minimum -- any young adult should be consuming is around 1400 each day for a small-to-average frame, and that's if you literally lie in bed all day with no activity whatsoever. If you're bigger than that, still growing, and if you actually do things like walk from place to place and stand up once in a while, you need more than that. Don't forget -- your body isn't finished developing, and if you screw with it now, it'll come back to bite your health in the tush not soon after. I know it happened to me -- oh boy, do I know. I've got the surgery scars and the stunted growth to prove it.

Please realize that if you seriously harm your metabolic and digestive system now, you'll pay for it in earnest later -- in other words, you can seriously damage your health in such a way that ten years from now, it won't be up to you what to eat anymore, and even if you weigh 300 pounds, you may be unable to diet again. I hope you hear me, Ashley, we care about you a lot. We'd like to have you around and healthy for a good long time.

If you feel you need to diet, the best thing to do is to check in with your doctor to find out your BMI, and the amount of calories you need minimally each day -- based on your body type, age and activity level -- to be healthy now and in the long haul.

Phys.com has a good simple calculator for finding how many calories you need to eat each day right here.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 11-24-2000).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to add that there ARE healthy ways to lose weight if your doctor says you should, or you simply want to and you are above an ideal weight for your age and frame. But they don't involve eating less calories than your organs actually need to function.

- Work out more, get more active. That's the biggie. If you don't exercise, do. It can be as simple as doing 20 minutes of active yoga a day or taking your pooch on a longer walk.
- Cut excess fats and empty calories from your diet. Toss out the french fries, the milkshakes, the sodas, the melted cheeses, the butters, the fatty meats, etc. Eat a balanced diet higher in proteins, fruits and vegetables with some carbohydrates (preferably whole grains) for energy, but knock off the empty calories that only serve to land on your tush.
- Drink lots of water. Water keeps you healthy and hydrated, but also curbs your appetite and often helps sluggish metabolisms.
- Take care of yourself. Sometimes, simply paying attention to what your body needs makes all the difference in the world.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! 500 calories a day? Are you crazy? You'll end up fainting and blacking out if you continue on this psycho diet. There aren't any miracle diets and I wished that everyone knew that. You can't take a magic pill to "absorb" the fat, slathering on a special cream will not make you look any thinner, and don't even get me started on all those little shakes. You have to eat. If not, every calorie that you take in, your body will store as fat. It's your body's way of "preparing" itself for the starvation. That totally defeats the purpose of your diet, doesn't it?

Exercise and eat healthier, it's the best way to lose weight. I'm not telling you to get a gym membership and do 40 minutes on every machine. Jog 30 minutes a day, or rollerblade or walk, whichever you prefer. Cut back on your intake of sugars and fats. Nothing is going to happen over night. And I know it sucks waiting to see results but just stick it out. Good luck and please give some more thought to that 500 cal diet.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How Many Calories to Maintain Your Desirable Wieght?:

Women~~~~ 18-35 years~~~ 35-55 years
weight

1. 99 ~~~ 1700 cals~~~ 1500 cals
2. 110~~~ 1850 cals~~~ 1650 cals
3. 121~~~ 2000 cals~~~ 1750 cals
4. 128~~~ 2100 cals~~~ 1900 cals
5. 132~~~ 2150 cals~~~ 1950 cals
6. 143~~~ 2300 cals~~~ 2050 cals
7. 154~~~ 2400 cals~~~ 2150 cals
8. 165~~~ 2500 cals~~~ 2300 cals

Thats to Maintain a good weight!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 11-25-2000).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say a big thanks to everyone. I put myself on that diet a couple days ago because I was a size 9(in junior's) and have recently noticed that I'm now a size 11. It's strange, really, I can wear a KID'S size 16 t-shirt..but below my waist is so much..eh bigger. I saw a tv show on E! about this actress Tracey Gold (Growing Pains) and she was 133 lbs. and her doc put her on the 500 cal. diet which made her go down to 112 lbs. in 2 months, which gave me the idea. I'm about 135 lbs and I'm 5'2" and I was just thinking that it would work. I didn't know that it could harm me and my body..if I would've known, I never would've gotten the idea. Thanks everyone!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

So that means your not gonna do that diet right???? PROMISE?? YOU GOTTA PROMISE!

Stick to a diet that wont hurt you.
If you eat right and Exerice you will be fine, theres no need for a silly billy 500 cal diet. Gee Im hungary just thinking about it!

I always say, you have to eat to loose weight, but you have to eat right and exercise...you can even cheat sometimes,(like a nice BIG OL' ICE CREAM SUNDAY!!) but SHHHHH you didnt hear that from me!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Heather
Member # 3

You know what else? That actress had highly documented eating disorders that almost killed her. She was hospitalized on and off for years. Her doctor should be kicked out of the medical association for suggesting that. She also was an adult.

In any event, 135 pounds at your height is a perfectly healthy and attractive weight. I should know, I'm only an inch taller and it's around my own best weight.

In truth, I find clothing sizes a heinous gage of body wellness and fitness. Depending on brands, I've found I wear anything from a size 4 to a size 11 -- it's all over the map because companies are bloody idiots when it comes to sizing things. Same goes for weight in pounds. In fact, when my muscles are in absolutely perfect tone, my weight tends to go up rather than down, and overall, I look better at a higher wieght with more muscle than at a lower weight with less.

Glad you're going to take care of you, Ashley. We like having you here in one piece.

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to point out that "calories" are a bad way of measuring your nutrition.

The raw energy input into your body is not accurate - protein is more likely to be used for muscle building or energy. Fat is more likely to be used as fat stores. Carbohydrates are more likely to be used as an anaerobic energy source. Hence the reason body sculptors eat almost all protein.

Further, you want to eat fruit. Just controlling calorific intake is bad. Ever heard of scurvy?

You need a balanced intake of sugars, fats, protein, minerals, vitamins, etc.

------------------
Armistice, deicide, timbre, ineluctable, salacious.
All these words can be yours! Purchase a Dictionary™ today!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, ThisGuy. Health (and looks!) is a lot more than weight and nutrition is a lot more than calories.

I would like to add that it is a good idea in our world to look into vitamin and mineral supplements. Supposedly, we get enough vitamins and minerals if we eat a "balanced diet", so says the medical establishment. But the truth is it just ain't so.
Industrialized and processed food does not have the vitamin and mineral content it is supposed to and if we supplement with junk food (which practically everyone does) then its worse. What is more, our increasingly polluted environment puts further stress on the ol' bod. Eating organic helps but is not always available and, unless its very fresh, may still be insufficient.

There are lots of sources of info on vitamin and mineral supplements on the net.

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
might i also remind you you that adolescents need the extra caloric intake to fuel their growth? cutting down to 500Cals is not sufficient enough to cover normal body activity plus the stress of development.

celebrity diets are notoriously evil. in the end, to achieve those means, it's liposuction, pancake makeup, some duct tape and a lot of help from the lighting guy.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're going to diet, do it in a healthy way. But I'd like to point out that it's probably not the best way to judge your size by what size you wear. They just don't make women's clothes the way they used to...especially in the junior section! I'm basically a size 4 or 5, if we're talking about reasonable sizes...but if I look in juniors, alot of times I have to get shirts in larges, and pants in at least a size 9, which then makes them too long, cause I'm only 5'5! Don't let the fasion industry's changing idea of sizes establish your view of yourself. You might try shopping in stores that don't exactly cater to the junior crowd, the clothes will probably be a bit more preppy, but if you don't mind that, then it isn't a problem. If you do, then you still might want to actually look at their jeans and pants anyway. I have a friend who has to buy her pants 2 sizes bigger if she gets them in juniors, and when I finally drug her into one of those stores, she was actually a size smaller than she thought she could wear anyway!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, 500 calories a day is less than *half* of what was considered starvation rations in Hitler's death camps.

Something to think about.

Something else to think about:

As of 1999, the average American woman was 5'4" and weighed between 135 and 145 pounds. She wears a size 8 or 10 dress, but a size 10-12 in pants or jeans (which should tell you something about how relevant clothes sizes are in telling you about body sizes). In 1994, the average American woman was 5'4" and weighed approximately 135-145 pounds, too. In 1990, she was 5'4" and weighed approximately 140, according to the statistics I have.

Something else to think about.

Personally, I think that a person's worth is not something you can weigh on a scale. If you truly feel that you are a better person if you are thinner, and a worse person if you are fatter, think about what that says about your values and how reliable they are. Weight will fluctuate over your life, or anyone's -- does that mean that whether you are a good, worthwhile human being fluctuates accordingly?

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well actually apples are high in calorie compared to most other fruits. Like a nectorine is 70 calories i think a plum is the same it might be like a little less. whatever you do do not just eat 500 calories!! I think that the best diet is a fruit fast. Just eat fruit and only fruit for 3 days (no more or you will probably get sick).
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, that's still not the greatest of ideas, rachel. your body is still going to need some protein and complex carbs, which aren't especially plentiful in fruit (there's some, just not much). imho, it's important to maintain a balanced diet.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timing has a lot to do with how food affects you. I lost weight by just eating fruit and juice in the morning, then having a sort of normal, healthy lunch and then not eating anything after that until the next morning fruit. Anything I eat after lunch seems to be transformed into fat immediately and permanently! (A moment on the lips, forever on the hips--or, on the gut in the male case)

Plus exercise of course. Sticking to that routine seemed to take me down pretty steadily and I kept most of it off. And I still pretty much eat that way, though I'm not so strict (not so skinny either!)

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.