Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Poppin Pimples

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poppin Pimples
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me before..that if you pop a pimple it's possible for the infection to go in your blood stream (or something!) and you could die from it. Is this at all true? Thanks!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
only in a really worst-case-meteor-crashing thru-your-bedroom-window scenario.

it could happen, but it's not all that likely.

popping a pimple is like any break in your skin. germs can get in. they can infect. they can be fought by your normal immune processes.

popping zits is discouraged because of the risk of infection, which is usually limited to red, nasty-looking welt, or a bigger zit. whichever, it's usually worse than the initial zit.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that me?

I remember saying that to a few people, but i don't know if you were one of them. One thing tho ... I wasn't talking about pimples I was talking about boils and other skin infections that happen on the inside of your thighs and vagina and stuff ... I have no idea who it was i told this to, it's been so many people now hehe I think it's a bit different cuz a boil is just a really big pimple ... since it's bigger, the cause for infection is higher. I could be wrong tho ... And like i said, i have no idea if it was me that told you this, i'm just double checking

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's more likely to get hit by a bus when you're inside your home than to die from popping a pimple.

However, it does tend to lead to worsening acne, as Gumdrop pointed out.

For one thing, you spread the bacteria around on your face when you do it (esp, if you do it with your fingers), and you can also break capilllaries. Blecko.

If you truly must pop, you can get an aesthetician's tool from a beauty supply store (and they also carry them at sephora.com), that is a metal tool with a loopp at the end. You press the loop on the pimple. Because it isn't a grimy finger and because the pressure the tool puts on the area is balanced symmetrically, you're likely to do less damage to your skin.

But ultimately, you're better off not doing it at all. The gentlest thing is just to keep your face clean with a gentle wash, not a hrash one, and NOT to use too many stripping agents, like harsh over the counter acne creams or astringents, because your skin tends to compensate for being stipped of oil by producing -- yup -- even more oil.

Tea tree essential oil is a good and gentle tactic, as are overnight creams/masks/preparations with very minute amounts of salycylic acid, like Neutrogena's acne mask, or BeneFit Cosmetics BooBoo Zap.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I was just wondering because I rarely get pimples on my face. They're always in some odd location. For example, right now I have this HUGE one in my ear and it hurts so so bad! But thanks again everyone!

P.S. Smurfy, I'm not sure if it was you..lol! I have a bad memory. I just remember someone telling me that.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL....Im sorry, just the pimple in the ear sounds funny, I know I get them in my ear too every once and awhile~ I really dont get pimples, but I do get them around my period.
And I hear if you eat alot of chocolate, it bothers your skin too,(thats probably a myth too).

If you can die from a pimple, I would never ever pop them, I'd let them all white and gross. But I pop them anyways cuz they bother me otherwise!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
coincidentally, i have an ear pimpleas well. it hurts like crazy, but i have accidentally scratched them (because they itch, too) till they break, and lemme tell you, it is really, REALLY messy (pus and blood everywhere in your ear) and when it all dries, it gets bigger and crustier.

leave that bad boy alone! it'll go away in a week or so, and i doubt anyone'll be scrutinizing the inside of your ear any time soon anyway.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat helps. It really does. Soak a washcloth in hot water -- as hot as you can stand it -- and hold that hot compress on the affected area until it's no longer hot. repeat a few times. The heat helps get more blood to the area, which will help get more white blood cells in there attacking the infection that's causing the zit, and thus, shortens the poor pimple's lifespan. You can mourn at your leisure. (yeah right)

I can empathize, really. I almost never get serious zits any more (ah, the joys of being over 30!) but this morning I woke up with one on my chin. BAH!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for live4travel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really bad with pimples myself. It all started when I first started getting them..and well they haven't gone away since But I'm So bad at popping pimples...I just can't help it...if I see white spots on my face when just briefly glancing at the mirror...and I just hate it when I feel bumps on my face..so it's pretty bad. I for some reason like to get the gunk OUT of me....though at times I think it might be the destruction of my precious face BUT! Hopefully I'll learn to control the compulsive behavior thingy towards these pimples.....I just had to use the compulsive word..sorry hehe don't know if it IS a compulsive disorder or not but anyways.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend tries to pop mine. He's so EVIL! I tell him to leave them alone, but he can't resist *lol*

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.