Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Anne Bradstreet is Sexy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anne Bradstreet is Sexy
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 12 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is a sort of avoiding writing a paper post, but it's sort of interesting too. I'm in an American Poetry class, and we were asked to research a historical phenomenon or time period and relate it to the poems of a poet in the appropriate era. So I thought it would be interesting to look at Puritan sexuality and the poems of Anne Bradstreet.

As it turns out, the poems of Anne Bradstreet, especially the ones she wrote to her husband, are just packed with erotic imagery. And in addition, the Puritans weren't the prudes we tend to think of them as. They valued sexual fulfillment just as much as we do today. In fact, one of the court systems had a law that a woman could petition for a divorce from her husband if she wasn't being sexually satisfied!

The "traditional" view of Puritanism is derived more from the clergy preaching things about lustful bodies burning eternally in unquenchable fires, and not the common populace of the times.

When I started, I didn't know I was going to end up learning so much. I knew that Bradstreet was writing some things that could be read as erotic, but I didn't know that she was culturally validated.

I found this interesting, and I wanted to share. What do you all think? Did/do you have the same sort of preconceptions I had?

Now back to writing the paper!

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a lot of historical study for fun. I'm a nut like that. I'd reccomend a book called I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem. She's basically a slave and is taken to the new world, and so forth. I loved the book. It also shows the darker sides of sexuality in her community. If I am not mistaken, it's based on a historical figure.

What I find really interesting is that if a girl's suitor overstayed his welcome and it became dark outside, he was invited to sleep in her bed with her, or with the family in their communal bed. If it was her bed, often a small wall with spikes on it would be placed in between them, but hey. Those can be removed.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a fiction book? Because I know that Tituba was a character in Arthur Miller's The Crucible, which was all about the Salem witch trials. And in that play, Tituba was the one blamed for starting everything by dancing naked with the devil in the forest. Another references to the "dangers" of female sexuality. And I know Miller based most of his characters in people who existed, but I had always thought that Tituba (for some reason) was made up. Thanks!

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, Tituba was a historical figure for the Salem witch trials. She was, I believe, a Haitian slave. Knew stuff about voodoo (apparently). It's been a while though.

As to the walls with spikes, what about when they would sew suitors into their beds to prevent pre-marital boinking?

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't mention sewing anything on the History Channel...

I found my copy! I Tituba is by Maryse Conde'. Basically, she is a slave from Barbados, and watches her mother hang for fending off her white rapist. Later, she falls in love with this guy who then gets her into slavery. They go to Salem, and her practices she learned that were tried and true are decided to be witchcraft. Go figure.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KCallahan
Activist
Member # 15888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCallahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That and a host of other things. But yes, they used to put guys into sleeping bag like things and sew them up to the neck. The ultimate condom of sorts... Interestingly, there are several accounts of this not working as a sexual prohibitor, just a safer method... I don't recall what happened to the couple that decided to be sexually active while wearing such a device. I assume they were suitably humiliated or something by the "proper" authorities.
Posts: 50 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.