Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Positive Sex Ed experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Positive Sex Ed experiences
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 7 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search for this and couldn't find anything....

So most of us have probably been through sex ed in high school, and watched the videos that explain about "hair growing where hair never grew before," but how many of you characterize your sex ed experiences as really positive?

My high school sex ed was, I guess, normal. That is, the gym teacher taught it and we mostly learned the parts of the reproductive system (Cowper's gland, anyone?). But...

When I got to college I discovered the offered a four credit course called Human Sexuality, offered, interestingly enough, through the Psych and Sociology departments. This course was fantastic! The professor and the teaching assistants addressed the basic sorts of information that everyone should have access to (a la Margret Sanger's Disneyland) and would open up question sessions where people asked about such things as using two condoms at the same time. The course was massively educational, and I won a t-shirt that declares me a "Sexpert." The course is packed just about every semester, and gets good reviews from students.

And that's my positive sex ed experience. Now how about yours?

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. High school was okay. I don't really remember much. I already new what was going on, mostly because by that time, I had read every article at Scarleteen and checked back everyday, just in case.

I also took Human Sexuality. It satisfied one of my requirements, but which one escapes me. This was just last year. I happened to know where a G-Spot was if a woman had one, what it was supposed to feel like, and so on and so forth. So I was queen of the vulva.

We had a final project, and I did mine comparing Catholic sexual veiws to Bhuddist sexual views. Ha. Didn't get very far, but I filled my 5 pages rather easily. One of the more religious girls in my class then proceeded to argue with me in regards to my paper. I was simply quoting my source, and she didn't like the quote. Go figure.

One lady did her report on her life style, and brought in her bag of tricks. She was a proffesional dominatrix. She was so cool! Because the economy was bad, she lowered her per hour price from $250 to $150. She never performed any sexual favors to anyone. Her favorite session was when her customer preffered her to simply watch. All she had to do was encourage him.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a small community college, in a very structured course (i've had NO electives the last two yrs), so i haven't really had the oppourtunity to take something like that.

However, the last two yrs of my degree will be completed at a university, and i'll get one elective. I'm debating b/w the Human Sexuality one and the Family Sexuality (or something like that ... that one would get me a certificate or something)

I only had one yr of sex ed in HS, b/c i only took one gym credit (and THAT was too much for me ). Whatever i learned about sex was from this place or my mom.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in highschool and the Sex Ed is pretty basic. Alot of anatomy, knowing if your in a good or bad relationship, making sure you're ready etc... nothing special, But one thing I'm really excited about is next month my Gym class is going to this Womens Health Forum and there are a bunch of places you can go and learn and stuff... plus alot of freebies! (especially condoms) so I'm really psyched bout that!
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say my Sex Ed was bad, it was fine, even if it was really regular.

Started having classes in 5th grade (which was an initiative of the parents' council, and was more than welcome by parents) so by the time I got out of school, I had a basic knowledge of anatomy, knew a few things about condoms, and surprisingly enough even knew how a girl was supposed to put a tampon (go figure why only guys were given a little instructions manual about it )

In high school, we learned mostly about contraception (which was THE feature of sex ed classes every year), about the emotional effects of sex, and with one teacher in particular (which was openly gay) we often discussed about sexual ethics.

In college I wanted to take Human Sexuality, but since there was a lot of demand for it, I ended up in 20th century hisory. Sadly for me... but I heard nothing but good things about the class.

So in general, I can say it was pretty average, but once I came here I noticed how many things I missed. Had never heard of lube before coming to Scarleteen.

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.