Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » mono

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mono
blondy
Neophyte
Member # 1309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you guys have answered many questions about mono but I still couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives. So here it goes..... I have had mono for a couple weeks now and I feel ok now but I know that I am still contagious if I have direct contact (kissing) with anyone. My boyfriend (for almost a year)is coming home from college On october 6, so it will have been like almost exactly a month since I've had it. I want to know if you think it is safe to kiss him. Or even a closed mouth kiss. I hardly ever get to see him and when I do I know we can just chill and enjoy each others company but I would really like to kiss him to show my affection. Any advice you could offer would be great! Thanx
Posts: 4 | From: IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
having mono when you're away for college is a pain in the arse!

personally, i wouldn't risk infecting him. then again, i'm a microbophobe (germ-freak!). but consult your doctor, it sure beats my advice any day.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u really ought to wait until it's all gone. explain it to ur bf, and he ought to understand.

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey, I've never had an illness from EBV, but my sweetheart did and I think I may have given it to him. So I'm not exactly sure about the contagion factor in this case -

What I'll tell you is that I broke the rules in my case, it had been 3 weeks since I had been kissed, and when he was finally well after being VERY ill for a month, we tried not to kiss. We tried. But it happened, first on the hands, then closed-mouth, and then we just gave in and hoped for the best, and I was totally paranoid. But I was lucky, and I didn't get sick.

BUT - I don't recommend it to anyone, because in the meantime, I almost made myself sick just from worrying I would get sick, too!

If you've done a search on mono or on EBV on the boards, you've prob'ly come up with my saga, anyway. ;]

Good luck, chica, and the first thing I would do: Go get a blood screen, and talk to your doctor!

------------------
~lemming

"This was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered in daisies..." ~Talking Heads, in "Nothing But Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.