Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Friday Night Posting Club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Night Posting Club
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is too outrageous.

Here I am, pushing the enevlope on my workday by trying to get caught up on these boards, and a big lot of you are here posting, on a Friday night no less.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who likes to stay in on occassion, when everyone else is out. I also don't usually take weekends off, so maybe it's me.

On the upside, this evening couldn't really get more eventful. My partner/husband just delivered the anniversary present he's been hiding away working on for a month, and it is a full-fledged, fully-packaged action figure of me. I have aspired to action figure status for some time, so my year is utterly made, even though the rest of today was a little frightening.

So, I hereby devote this thread to anything and everything, especially if it's Friday night and you're here.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The jellicle cats are certainly out tonight.

I was hoping to spend the evening with friends, but they've got their own stuff going and there wasn't really a place for me. Basically, they've just opened a store and while I've been contributing a lot of help, tonight there wasn't really a spot for me in the work crew and I didn't just want to stand around.

Actually, what I truly wanted to do was go out to a movie or something, but they never have time anymore. No, wait, that sounds really whiny and I don't mean to be. The store has only been open for 2.5 weeks, and I know eventually they'll work out a schedule and have occasional nights off to play again. ~sigh~

So here I am, home on a Friday night, but that's not really as bad as it sounds.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost forgot...an action figure of you!? That's so nifty! Happy anniversary.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we shall retitle this the "Big Girls Soft Whine Thread."

But in any event, I can relate.

Unfortunately on the general ease of life score, we have to move again, and finding places here is horrendously difficult, especially with the furry creatures we keep company with. On the plus side, the most places do seem to be in a neighborhood where there are more people who I won't scare the heck out of.

I moved here (to the Twin Cities) from Chicago a year and a half ago and bulding up a social circle has been utterly heinous. For the most part, I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm Irish-Italian with a thick Dego streak, not Norwegian. I abhor khaki. I'm not passive-agressive, and I do this for a living. In St. Paul, where we've been, that's a L I T T L E mopre diversity than they're ready for.

So, I get where you're coming from. Hopefully, the store will be finished soon, and I will move to where people are freindly.

Really, I like being alone, I always have. But now and then, one needs that friend-bunch-punch.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Yeesh, I can empathize. I absolutely hate moving, which is why I intend to stay in this town (well, I do love the town, too), until I die or I meet somebody I love enough to actually move for. And finding a place for pets is even worse. Fortunately I just have a couple of bunnies, and I just look wide-eyed at landlords and say, "but they always stay in their cages, of course." (hah!)

My next goal is to buy a house of my own, though. I figure it'll take me a couple of years to save up the down payment, and if by that time Mr. Wonderful hasn't come along I'm buying a place for myself. Of course, it'll probably work just like adoption does sometimes...the couple waits years to adopt, finally gets a child, and then gets pregnant. I'll finally buy a house just for me and Mr. (or maybe Ms.) Right will walk into my life. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when and if I ever come to it. One of the things I've learned along the way is not to worry about the future any more than necessary.

Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Another thought...

The irony of this just occurred to me. Often I hesitate to tell folks what I do for a living because of all the stereotypes connected to librarians. Yet I bet I've got nothing on your problems when you explain what you do!

Heather
Member # 3

People are weird about librarians, but you know, nearly all the librarians that I have ever met are some of the coolest, most literate (duh), politically grounded and earthy people around. I LOVE librarians. I say that constantly.

But there is a HUGE stigma attached to working in sexuality, especially if you are female, and you aren't "the talent," AKA, working as a centerfold, etc.

I just went on about this a bit today in my column at femmerotic, because yet another religious right group seems to have decided I am evil, going to far as to have about 10 different copies of the same article at various sites which involved plastering a photo of me with text from some of my advice columns, saying I tell little kids about oral sex, and so forth. It's just nasty.

On the other hand, what usually happens -- and Hanne has the same stuff occur -- is that most of those people who are nasty about it at first are the same peopple who come knocking at your door or poke your shoulder at a coffee shop to ask you to help them with their sexuality.

sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that I understand the hardship of finding a place, as you have read from my past posts. I send you tons of good luck Miz Scarlet, as I am sure that your good thoughts helped me to get my place!!!!! I have a guinea pig and I didn't tell my landlord about him because he is to cute and little to cause any trouble!!!! As far as the being here on a Friday night I am actually really excited about it because this is the first weekend that I actually get to be here. I will be checking in a lot!!!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey!

I obviously have missed your last posts! i didn't realize you finally found a place. Hooray!

We have more animals than most, really, but I work from an office at home, so it isn't like they aren't constantly attended to. But we rarely say squat about the rabbit (more times than not at this point because he is SO far past his life span, and seemingly fine, that I have no idea how long he'll stick around), but we do also have four small cats and the pooch.

winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, an action figure of Miz Scarlet, that's beyond awesome Hey...I should ask my boyfriend to get one of me for me

I'm home too...but I really don't care. My boyfriends band was supposedly gonna practice tonight, but being the weird guy that he is, he left his guitar at his Mom's house on the other side of town. I'm currently staring out my window at my pool, thinking that I should be in there instead of up here typing away

------------------
"Can't this wait til I'm old?"-Phish
hannah@atarikid.com

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well happy anniversary miz s!!!! that anniversary gift sounds like exactly what i would get my boyfriend.
as for moving....i'm the person to talk to....meet Doreen the military brat. yep, i've lived in montana, alaska, california (two different places) and japan. each about 4 yrs, making me almost 18. i've had so many different groups of friends and yet i'm moving one more time after i graduate.to my bf's hometown houston, texas to be exact. just about right i've lived here almost 5 yrs so according to my "record" it's time for me to move
as for why i'm home on a friday night...i'm sick. struck with tossillitis. horrible huh? being military too, i can't go to the doctor on base until monday. you gotta schedule an appt....crazy i could die here!! lol!! i think i gave it to my bf too cuz i didn't know i had it until yesterday and i kissed him wednesday. i had to miss a good friends baby shower cuz of this sickness. all my friends were there and i'm in and out just to drop out the gift.
i'm so glad that scarleteen is here....it gives me something to do

------------------
~*GoDdEsS oF lOvE aNd BeAuTy*~

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got a scooter as an anniversary gift.

but i got a heinous sunburn while watching the Xgames today.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Hey deegurl, don't you just hate the question, "So, where are you from?" I always answer, "Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, and Missouri...and oh yeah, I was born in Wisconsin but that doesn't count!" And my folks aren't even military! They just kept getting advanced college degrees and being professors different places. Now I'm settled, and I've been in the same place for 12 years except for a year doing graduate work someplace else. I'm happy here and I want to stay put!
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
People are weird about librarians, but you know, nearly all the librarians that I have ever met are some of the coolest, most literate (duh), politically grounded and earthy people around. I LOVE librarians. I say that constantly.

Thank you! Actually, I've always felt the same way, which is one of the reasons I decided to become a librarian. (Well, that and the fact that an English degree isn't worth squat on the job market but there's a national shortage of librarians.)

quote:
But there is a HUGE stigma attached to working in sexuality, especially if you are female, and you aren't "the talent," AKA, working as a centerfold, etc.

That seems really contradictory. I mean, the sex educators and writers are the ones who to me really do the most good. I know that when I was between my divorce and my current boyfriend a friend of mine introduced me to the world of erotica and it just opened up whole universes for me as far as my sexuality was concerned.

And I'm so sorry the religious right keeps making you (and all the other good folks out there) a target. You do good work, and at some level they must realize it (or they wouldn't keep asking questions on the sly!)

I remember reading a column written by an Australian during the height of the Clinton scandals poking fun at the general American uptightness about sex and our inability to let people's personal lives just be personal. The article concluded with a line that still makes me smile, "Thank God we got the prisoners and you got the Puritans!"

winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate moving

Whenever people say "where are you from", I always say "Oh, well, Israel (I was born there...), Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Ohio" hehe

------------------
hannah@atarikid.com

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey lady moonlight! well, i've always lived on a military base so all of us were forever moving. it was like forbidden to ask "hey where are you from?". the question was "hey how many different places have you lived?" or "where did you just come from?" LOL! when i moved here and actually went to a school where it wasn't all military people then i started to get that question. all the people here have grown up with each other or at least have a hometown. i kinda felt out of it, you know? i swear they were like you lived in JAPAN!! then they assume i'm japanese and i speak it! LOL! i'm chinese and white and lived there for 4 yrs. i learned some japanese while i was there, but as soon as i came back to the states... i forgot all i knew

------------------

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winter
Activist
Member # 991

I just got back home...geez it's cold out tonight for August

------------------
hannah@atarikid.com

Heather
Member # 3

It is cold lately here in the Midwest. I woke up this morning with a cold. Bleck.

On the upside, we may have found an apaartment (cross your fingers). The landlord is nice and lives in the building, it's right in the middle of Uptown (which is *the* neighborhood in Minneapolis when it comes to having lots of things around to do). There is both a Buddhist center and yoga classes nearby, as well as the best natural foods co-cop, both important for me. It's a good deal smaller than where we are now, but it's also cheaper, which would sure be nice.

With any luck, we'll get a call today or tomorrow.

Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Good luck, Heather. I've got my fingers crossed for you!
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

we are all rooting for you Miz S!!! my fingers are definitely crossed

------------------

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

winter
Activist
Member # 991

Yay for Miz S! I hope you get it

------------------
hannah@atarikid.com

Heather
Member # 3

Good thoughts work wonders! Thank you!

We did get it, and can move in in October. Now we just have to hope my cherished piano fits through the door, and that the movers don't damage it like the last time.

sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Miz Scarlet!!!!

------------------
Make each day a day of beauty, a day of joy, and a day of wonder. Celebrate your life and the lives of those around, and realize the precious beauty of the world.

Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Miz Scarlet!!!!!

------------------
Make each day a day of beauty, a day of joy, and a day of wonder. Celebrate your life and the lives of those around, and realize the precious beauty of the world.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.