Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Miz Scarlet!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miz Scarlet!
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet,
You said in a post below that it was illegal to have sex in Michigan with a person over 18 even if you were 16 (which is the legal age of consent) but I'm pretty sure that you are wrong. I found this information at www.ageofconsent.com:

QUESTION:
I have looked at the chart and seen that the age of consent for MI is 16. I also have read the actual writings of the laws and the degrees of them. But I did not find on there or anywhere on here anything relating to sex between adults and minors (those above 18 with those below) or is it that the laws presented apply to all people of that state regardless of age? I saw that the question was asked several times in the "letters received" area, but I could not find your site's answer. In addition perhaps a FAQ section would be a nice addition to your page to answer such questionsthat arise regularly. Thank you and I hope you have the time to respond, a site worth its bandwidth.

ANSWER:
The age shown in the chart is the age at which one person may legally consent to sexual intercourse with another person who is at least that age or older, provided that there are no ties between them (ie: one is not in a position of trust or responsibility over the other).

I'm pretty sure that it's okay to have sex in Michigan if you are 16 or older with anyone you choose as long as they aren't younger than 16.

Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Pink, I'm going to try and get a hold of our lawyer today and try and get you guys SOME general info about this. Let's see what he says.

Thanks for doing the homework!

- Miz S.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much because this has really got me confused!
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Thanks so much because this has really got me confused!
Helpful27
Activist
Member # 291

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Helpful27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The possible misunderstanding may have been my fault. I mentioned a story about some HS senior (18 years old) who got his 17 year old girlfriend pregnant, and was convicted of staturoty rape. I mentioned that I thought it was in Michigan. I shouldn't have said anything since I wasn't sure about which state. Sorry.

I've learn that if you have to ask yourself the "is it illegal?" question, then a lawyer can always make the answer "Yes" stick. This applies to just about everything!

Basically: don't get caught (the 11th commandment).

(had to edit something there. Needed to make sure that people knew that any lawyer worth their suit can make almost anything illigal)

[This message has been edited by Helpful27 (edited 01 July 2000).]

Posts: 46 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Oh, it's not your fault, Helpful! I was curious about this a few days before you posted that or a few days before I saw that.
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Have you found out anything yet, Miz Scarlet?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawyer is out of town right now.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Okay, thanks anyway.
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading through some threads that i never bothered to look at before and this one seemed a little interesting and it was someething i could comment on.

I dont know about Michigan, but i do know that that age of consent chart does NOT show all the information. For my state it says the legal age is 18. That is so in one way but not in others. I recently weent to a legal seminar and one of the discussions i went to was about this very issue.

See in my state it is legal for anyone between the ages of 15 and 17 to have sex with another person between the ages of 15 and 17. They cannot be with anyone 14 or under no matter what. And someone over 18 cannot be with anyone under 18.

I suggest that if you want to find out exactly what the laws are in your state you go to a lawer who specializes in sex offenses. Or who has a thorough understanding of those laws. Websites may give you correct information but they most likely do not give you all the information and all the exeptions to the laws.

By the way according to my states laws my boyfriend and i are legal only until Feb. 16 when he turns 18

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Excellent addition, Etch.

That is indeed, in my experience, how MOST state laws work. Mainly, age of consent deals with the age MINORS can consent to sex with other MINORS, not with adults. But it is -- unfortunately, because it is confusing -- all over the map, and varies from state to state.

Mistress Mary
Neophyte
Member # 344

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mistress Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow...... there's an actual website that states the ages of consent? darn, i wish i knew about that earlier. like a 2 years ago.
thanks for the info pink lemonade. ciao!

------------------
"Be it, don't dream it..."
http://www.crosswinds.net/~francesca18

Posts: 36 | From: Park Forest, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.