Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » How Old can He be for a YOUNG one like me???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Old can He be for a YOUNG one like me???
JoejoeBaby854
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I know that in different states the age of consent is different. but in most the age is 16. well i am not sure the age of consent in my state (i live in georgia). i am 14 and my boyfriend is 17. we have been talking about having sex. i am afraid that he might get thrown in jail for statatory rape. but WE BOTH want to have sex. what should i do? can anyone help me???

------------------
qas12df34

[This message has been edited by JoejoeBaby854 (edited 25 June 2000).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sandy
Neophyte
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert in laws or anything...but I know the legal age to have sex in most states is 16, and it would only be illegal if your boyfriend was 18 or older, or in some states 21+ (or if he forced you to). The most important thing though, is not your or his age, its how you feel about having sex. If you feel awkward about it, don't do it! You'll ALWAYS remember your first time, so be sure you REALLY want to do it. Take a little time and think...don't rush into it. And if your prepared then go for it! and make the best out of it, because its a memory that'll last forever. USE A CONDOM, of course. I wouldn't be too worried about the legal age. Don't only be guided by the laws, let your heart guide you...in all!
Posts: 30 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoejoeBaby854
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

------------------
QAS23DF34~
*SMILES*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd better be careful, and check out the laws in your area first! You don't want to get your boyfriend into serious legal troubles! He could even wind up in jail!!!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helpful27
Activist
Member # 291

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Helpful27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, this is tough. I can't really say anything about the age laws, but I can tell you a story that can serve as a warning.

I think this was in Michigan, but the story is that an 18-year old high school boy (man, legally actually) was found guilty of statutory rape of his 17-year old girlfriend when she became pregnant. They were a loving couple, the young man was dedicated and mature, and the jury told the judge that to convict the boyfriend would ruin his life but they had no choice but to follow the letter of the law.

You see, the problem was, the boyfriend had to register as a sex-offender, and may have spend some time in jail. The sex-offender status would preclude him from jobs dealing with children, and would be on his criminal record when he went for ANY job.

I don't mean to scare, but this is just food for thought. I think the whole ordeal was a travesty for the fellow and his girl (whom he wanted to marry). I am very curious what happened.

Posts: 46 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ComedyHQ
Activist
Member # 194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComedyHQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I had a similar question and Miz Scarlet sent me here: http://www.ageofconsent.com Check it out. Hopefully it can help you.
Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. Don't only be guided by the laws, let your heart guide you...in all!

Ummm... just maybe you should be guided by the laws...

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my uncle is a lawyer who used to be a prosecuter. He told me that many boys are charged with statutary rape and sex offenses with younger girls, but it is usually because the girls parents make a big issue over it. However, since the cases are difficult to prove and the girls are usually uncooperative witnesses, it's very hard to get a conviction. I think the conviction rate is less than 3 in 10 (30%).
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that Michigan story is true considering the fact that a few guys over 18 are always asking me when I will be 16.
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, guys, the laws in some states, including Michigan, can be very intense, and since most laws not not allow minors (NOT those over the age of consent, which allows for those over to have sex with those ALSO over, but not of adult status) to be sexually engaged with legal adults, it is enbtirely possible.

I don't have my hands on a law library, so I can't validate it, but truly, it is within the realm of possibility. (ON the other hand, Lisa has a point - if that happened, that was the judge and jury's choice - that's how our legal system works)

And PInk, I'm guessing those guys totally misunderstand the law, as most people do.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias01
Activist
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alias01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I found out that me and my GF are both of legal age for sexual consent in the state of Illinois. We are both 17...so if you live in Illinois you gotta be 17 to legally be able to consent to any sexual relations. This brings a sigh of relief to me..We're protected by the law..but not against our parents!!... :-)
Posts: 58 | From: Dont Worry about it! | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Neophyte
Member # 292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...this is an issue with me, as well. I'm 16, and my boyfriend is 18, and we haven't had sex yet. According to the ageofconsent.com site, it would be legal for us in in Massachusetts (where we live) because it looks like the age is 16? It also says that male-male and female-female sex is illegal...WTF?!?!

------------------
"Who's the king of your satellite castle?"- Dave Matthews Band

Posts: 9 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

That's true. Loads of people around here still think that if you are bi or gay, there is something mentally wrong with you! Even though we have made progress with legislation, I still think it's gonna take a long long time untill people really accept us, and all of this prejudice against GLBT people finally comes to an end.
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JoejoeBaby854:

I don't know what the law in in Georgia, but I'll bet you its gender-neutral. What this means is that if both you and your boyfriend are "underage," both of you can be prosecuted for essentially raping each other.

Sounds pretty goofy huh? Well don't worry because that isn't what actually happens. In most states (I can't say whether Georgia is one of them) if both people are underage or within a 2 or 3 years of each other in age, then it is not illegal for them to have sex.

I wouldn't worry too much about the law. Do what you think is right and be careful if you do have sex. Be discreet and bury the evidence after you're done. I'd be more worried about your parents than the law.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.