Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Fear to fly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fear to fly
Sandy
Neophyte
Member # 244

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Sandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I was a baby I've been traveling a lot w/my parents, because of my dad's business and my mom's side family, who live in europe. I never complained about it, even though I had to change schools and lifestyle. But now it's different. I'm 16 yrs old and more pesimistic I guess. Tomorrow my mom and I will be going to europe on vacation, as usual, because she wants to be w/my grandparents this summer. I've heard about so many airplane crashes & accidents, and I always have the feeling something could happen to me. I get really scared w/these thoughts and I cant sleep at night sometimes. When I'm aboard, I can't relax like everyone else and I dont stop thinking about the possibilty that something could happen.
Should I seek psychiatric help? What can I do before I get in that airplane tomorrow? HELP!

Posts: 30 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celise
Activist
Member # 196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you need help, the media makes a really big deal about airplane crashes, i'm not saying that its not a big deal but it is extremly uncommom for an airplane to crash, you have a better chance of dying in your bathtub than dying in a plane crash, just remember you will get on the plane and the flight will be over and you will wonder what you worried about. it will be okay.
Posts: 89 | From: Newton, NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy, I once read an article from magazine about fear of flying, and as it was no so long ago I can still remember some tips.

**One thing to remember, is that there are thousands more chances you get killed in a car crash that there are when you're travelling by plane.

**before you go on this trip, you can get more used to the fact of flying by going to the airport, walk around, see the planes taking of and landing, and if you have the opportunity you could eventually enter one plane that was repairing and stay in for a while, as if you were flying.

**you can always take something to put you to sleep, take something to relax (even if it has to something heavier that what you possibly take during exams season and so on).

**Another way to get you more comfortable with flying is by learning how it all works; I mean, how planes are built, the history and advances of flying, everything related to that. You can find such info in books, some kind of encyclopedia, and I'm sure there are lots of websites about that too, try to research a little if you wanna bother. After you know something about it you can feel more secure and understand that if something happens during the flight, it could well have happened while you were walking in the street or in a car - if it has to happen, it'll happen wherever you are, so don't worry so much about it.

**Other things you should do: if the trip is long, take lots of things to keep you busy, like books, magazines, or if you get sick take something like a walkman/cd player, gameboy or such games you can get addicted to and help you get away from where you are.

**obviously you know chewing gums are always helpful to have in handy for take-off's and landings, they help you tolerate the difference of air pressure better, otherwise you'll get some nasty ear-aches.

Hope this will be of any use! And have a nice trip! Think of how much fun you'll have when you get to your family's home! )

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~~Sallynha~~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else came to my mind!

If you own a portable PC, you could always take it with you and check out this site while you're travelling!!!

Now tell me! Is that a hell of a good idea or what?!?!

Good luck!!!

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~~Sallynha~~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this fact sheet and one thing that it said was that more people die from donkey related incidents than plane crashes!!!!! I have never in my life heard of someone dieing from a donkey, so that seems like a pretty good sign to me!!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helpful27
Activist
Member # 291

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Helpful27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't exactly have a fear of flying due to a fear of crashes; I fear flying because I puke or at least get close to puking every single time I fly.

I think it is partially due to nerves when landing. My heart rate increases, I get sweaty, I breath heavily, and get really queasy. I have no fear that the plane will crash.

Basically air travel is safer statistically than driving the same distance on US roads. Air crashes just get a lot of media attention. Car accidents are not newsworthy to the big corporate news shows.

Going to Europe you will have an in-flight movie most likely so that will distract you. Bring other distractions like a trashy book that requires no thought whatsoever (nothing heavy like Atkins' Quantum Chemistry).

Maybe taking some sort of sleepy medicine. I hear some of the motion sickness medicines are just mild seditives.

Posts: 46 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.