Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » What are the Chances?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the Chances?
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bri123         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the chances of getting pregnant when using a comdom and pulling out?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very low, if both of those are being used correctly. From our The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
: "Male Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 95.95% effective with typical use" over a whole year of use. That means that in typical use (not using these methods correctly, or not using them every time), around 4 people out of 100 using these methods together become pregnant in one year, and in perfect use, less than 1 person out of 100 would become pregnant.

If you're using condoms and withdrawal ("pulling out") together, you'll just want to be extra-careful that your partner withdraws in plenty of time before ejaculating, and that you or your partner hold the top of the condom on the penis while they withdraw. If you make a mistake with one of those it can be easy to mess up both methods, which is obviously not what you want!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bri123         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I am just curious where that slightest chance of less than 1% with perfect use come from? If my partner "pulled-out" and I saw the "cum" contained in the condom, then is there no chance of pregnancy?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It comes from things going wrong even when people follow the directions.

In other words, "perfect" use means people followed the directions for a method, to the letter.

However, as an example, people can do that with condoms and still have them slip off or break sometimes.

We can never say there has been no chance of pregnancy when people have engaged in the kinds of activities that can create a pregnancy. The only way to get "no risk at all" with pregnancy is to not do those things, as again, no method, or even combined methods, is 100% effective.

However, when you have used a condom properly, and did not have it do the things it can that make clear it may have failed, like slipping off or breaking, and the same goes with your backup method? Then yes, it is very safe to assume pregnancy is not something that will have happened that time.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

I felt some really light cramps all this week before bed. Is it possible to feel period cramps awhile before the actual period or could this be a sign of pregnancy?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something for you on that: Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Thank you! How long can stress delay a period for?

[ 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Bri123 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Stress all by itself usually doesn't. Rather, it's how people are not managing stress well that does. We can have stress and still have regular periods, it's just about how we're taking care of ourselves with that stress.

But I do not see you reporting that you have a delayed period here in the first place?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Well I'm not quite sure. I think I ovulated on the 2nd of this month, which was two weeks from yesterday. My periods since January have been on the 12th, 13th, and or 14th, usually 30 days apart. But now I don't know what's going on and that's why I'm having a pregnancy scare. Although I must admit, I started worrying right after having sex. But now I feel like I have a lot of symptoms (as I've posted before)
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Well I'm not quite sure. I think I ovulated on the 2nd of this month, which was two weeks from yesterday. My periods since January have been on the 12th, 13th, and or 14th, usually 30 days apart. But now I don't know what's going on and that's why I'm having a pregnancy scare. Although I must admit, I started worrying right after having sex. But now I feel like I have a lot of symptoms (as I've posted before)
Heather
Member # 3

You chart your fertility daily, then (to be able to know when you have ovulated with any accuracy)?

If so, then you probably also already have a lot of notes about your typical PMS symptoms.

It seems you usually have 30 day cycles: so, when was your last period?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

My last period was June 14th
Heather
Member # 3

Okay. So, if 30 days is your average, you are a few days later now, but not five days late yet, which is the general standard for determining when a period is late.

But it also would be fine now for you to take a pregnancy test since you are clearly concerned about pregnancy. Then you can just see that negative -- since it sounds almost inevitable that will be the result here -- and see if that sorts you out here in terms of your worries.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Do I have to take it in the morning?
Heather
Member # 3

Pregnancy tests have their instructions included.

So, you just need to read and follow the instructions for a given test, which no, often will not require taking them at only a specific time of day.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Me again, so this morning I took a test because I still haven't gotten my period. I bought the one that is supposed to be able to tell three days before a missed period and it came out negative. They're 99% accurate and I believe it because of the situation that I am in, but now I'm worried as to why I didn't get my period yet and the symptoms that I felt.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods sometimes vary a bit when they come, for pretty much everyone. Have you seen M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period??

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

Yes, thank you. I am just concerned that's urine may have been too diluted. I drank an iced tea an hour before the test. The instructions didn't say it had to be first morning urine so I went ahead and followed the instructions and the "not pregnant" one pink strip showed up almost immediately. I then waited 3 minutes like the instructions said but it stayed negative.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

So long as you followed the instructions that came with the tests, you can trust the results.

It's sounding like you have some pretty big worry here about pregnancy. As you had only a very small risk of pregnancy in the first place, do you think it'd be a good idea to re-think whether you feel ok about having even that small risk? Or, is there something else that you can identify that's making you feel really uncomfortable and concerned around this?

--------------------

Bri123
Neophyte
Member # 110862

I've just read a lot of stories about false negatives so I just worry. I think I have really bad anxiety because I drive myself crazy thinking about the "what-if?" in every situation.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Those stories?- are mostly just stories. Some of those people will be telling a story that's simply more manageable to them than the truth, and others will be deliberately trying to create drama. Actual "false negatives" are nearly always caused by people not following the instructions properly, for example, testing too soon.

Ok, so you're identifying that anxiety is an issue for you. I'm sorry, anxiety is not fun [Frown] Have you yet tried to get specific support and medical care for anxiety?

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.