Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » OCD and scared of pregnancy.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OCD and scared of pregnancy.
Janey966
Neophyte
Member # 110252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janey966     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have been scared of being Pregnant since early April. This all started when I was told about my younger cousin getting pregnant, I struggled with OCD badly last year, but I managed to get my life back on track and things were looking up for me, until recently.

Anyway, I managed to get the idea in my head that I could be pregnant, it's impossible because I'm not sexually active, but I keep doubting myself and I have to give myself reassurance that I have not had sex.

The main reason I'm worried is that my body has been slightly off. I've been having strange symptoms and it's resulting in anxiety. I had my period last month around the normal time, only it was a lot lighter than usual, afterwards I had indigestion and heartburn for a week and then the following week I had bad constipation and I was bloating so much that I actually looked pregnant.

Yesterday I managed to empty my bowels and the bloating seemed to have gone down, which was such a relief, my stomach still ached but I figured that was just a result of everything that had happened in the past weeks. Today I've been having cramps and my breasts feel tender, when I went to the toilet I noticed small amounts of brown blood on my underwear, my period isn't due for another 10 days and I'm really worried, a lot of these are symptoms of pregnancy and I'm terrified.

I know it sounds completely irrational, but can stress and anxiety really cause all of this to happen?

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janey,

If you're not sexually active, you can't be pregnant. If you're having bad symptoms like bloating, or ongoing cramping that aren't linked to your period, it would be sound to check in with a health care provider just to see what's up.

Are you currently seeing a healthcare professional about your OCD?

I think you may also find this article very helpful:
You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

[ 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey966
Neophyte
Member # 110252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janey966     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam, thank you for replying!

I'm going to make a doctors appointment as soon as I can and I have been to therapy in the past about my OCD, so I could be asked to be referred again.

I found the article really, really helpful, thank you so much!

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that sounds like a good plan [Smile]

You're welcome, and I'm glad you found the piece helpful

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.