Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » late period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: late period
DeniseT
Neophyte
Member # 109692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is my current situation:

1) I am on yasmine 21
2) I never had sex, only fingering and oral sex but sometimes i give my bf a hj and he ejeculates (could it be that some sperm got transferred this way? :S )
3) this month my period is late - i would usually get my period a day ago but today I still only have a very light period. almost nothing at all compares to usual and almost no pain.

Could i be pregnant? [Frown] ((((((((((((((

Posts: 3 | From: Chiltham | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order for someone to even have the risk of becoming pregnant, they have to be part of the things that can pose that risk. Oral sex and manual sex (fingering) pose risks of sexually transmitted infections but NOT of pregnancy.

"Late" periods or withdrawal bleeds -- the "period" you get on methods like the pill -- aren't about a difference of a day: that is a very, very standard deviation. In medical parlance, a period is usually only classified as late when it is still not showing up around or more than five days later than the very LATEST someone expects it based on their periods over time.

As well, a light period or withdrawal bleed is still a period or withdrawal bleed, just like a light dinner is still dinner. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseT
Neophyte
Member # 109692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but i usually get my withdrawal bleeds on precisely the same day! thats why I am worried! [Frown] I know that you are not a doctor but could you explain further about the difference between withdrawl bleeing and a regular period. would you stop getting withdrawl bleeding if you get pregnant?

also - about my case. can it be the the fingers were contaminated with sperm which might have impregnated me ?! :'( forget that I am on the pill.. it is not 100% effective after all! :/ could the very light flow of blood and lack of cramps mean a pregnancy?

Posts: 3 | From: Chiltham | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For how many years has that happened, getting them on the exact same day every single time?

When on the pill, taking the placebo pills basically makes your body withdraw from the hormones, which is the primary reason a withdrawal bleed happens. But yep, just like with periods, when and if people become pregnant, usually the first clue about that will be a missed -- not late, bleeds or periods can be late for so many reasons, if and when they even are, and in your case, if this one day is when you always get them, you are still four days away from it being late -- period or bleed.

But changes in your bleed don't mean a pregnancy unless you are pregnant. In other words, the only thing that "means" a pregnancy IS a pregnancy. And pregnancy is only soundly determined by an exam for pregnancy or a pregnancy test.

Again, manual sex and oral sex are not ways pregnancy can realistically happen. As well, sperm cells aren't a virus, so they can't contaminate like you are thinking, and sperm cells alone are also not how pregnancy happens.

For more about that and how it CAN happen, this should fill you in: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68104 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseT
Neophyte
Member # 109692

i dont take placebo pills. just 21 days of pills and 7 days of no pills. this is the same right? been like this for quite some years. i am 20 now
Heather
Member # 3

The placebo pills are optional: whether you take them or not, the bleed happens because you are not taking the active pills.

If for several years you have had cycles that were the exact same number of days, with no variation, year after year, know that is profoundly rare. What is common is for cycles to at least deviate by a day or two with some regularity.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.