Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Mirena IUD periods?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirena IUD periods?
SophiaW
Neophyte
Member # 109631

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SophiaW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen,

I am a 19 year old college student, in a monogamous relationship for almost a year now. Neither my boyfriend or I have had sex with anyone but each other, and we've both gotten STI tested and come back clean. I got a Mirena IUD last September, and my case has been a model of success. Barely any adjustment period, no problems so far, it's been great. Ever since September, my boyfriend and I have been using the IUD as our sole form of contraception (We used condoms before). That, too, has been great. However, I haven't gotten my period since the end of December. Now, I know that one of the possible side effects of the Mirena is no more periods, and my periods had been getting progressively lighter up 'til now. And that the chance of getting pregnant with an IUD is very slight. Still, it's not unheard of and I can't help but worry. I know Mirena pregnancies are very high risk, and even if I'm not getting my period because of Mirena, how will I know if I ever am pregnant in the future? If I won't have my period for the rest of the time I have the IUD, should I just take periodic precautionary pregnancy tests? I haven't taken a test yet, but I plan to as soon as I can get around to it (midterms are currently in full swing). Before then, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sophia,

I think it's definitely a good idea to take a pregnancy test, just so you have you answer. The most likely scenario is probably the one you described, where the missing period is a side effect of the IUD. If the possibility, even though it is an incredibly small one, of you becoming pregnant while using the IUD an not being able to tell is still worrying you, it might be good to use a back-up method when having sex.

Also, I think it might be good to talk to your healthcare provider about the missing period and your concerns. While it's likely that this is just a side effect of Mirena, it can't hurt to have a check-up just to rule out other possibilities.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.