Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » How high are my pregnancy risks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How high are my pregnancy risks?
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jclark283     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, this is my first post on Scarleteen. My name is Jennifer, I'm 20 years old from Canada. Nice to meet you all. [Smile]

Right now I am currently going through a pregnancy scare. On January 1st my boyfriend and I did not have intercourse although we had genital to genital touching and rubbing from behind around my bum area and vaginal entrance. 3 days later (January 4, 2014) I had my period which was normal and went away after 5-6 days which is also normal for me. I had my typical cramps and didn't think anything of what I did on the first.

My period is due for tomorrow (Feb. 4) or somewhere this week. Since Friday I have been experiencing cramps, lower back pain, bloating, and a little bit of nausea. It has all been on and off and seems to be worse today. I am BEYOND scared that I am pregnant. I am worried that he had pre-ejaculation on his penis and that it may have gotten inside. What do you guys think my risks are like? Thank you so much.

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, jclark283 . [Smile]

So, am I understanding correctly that you were both nude and he was rubbing his penis directly on your vulva?

Too, these symptoms you are having: are they very different from how you usually feel right before a period? or when scared about something?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jclark283     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Heather [Smile]

Yes, we were both nude. He was rubbing it near my bum hole but as well as around my vulva for a few minutes.

The symptoms I am currently feeling are not different than what I usually feel before a period, the only difference is that I don't usually feel them for this long. Although some time a few years ago I remember having symptoms for a week before my period finally came. But haven't since until last Friday.

I am so scared at the moment, which makes me feel nauseas at times.

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I also feel very bloated and my lower abdomen hurts when I press on it. (Also another symptom I usually get before my period)
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So, for this time and future reference, direct, unprotected genital-to-genital rubbing does, indeed, pose pregnancy and STI risks. basically, the same ones intercourse poses.

So, next time, if you want to reduce those risks, you need to use a condom and, if you like, something additional.

If I have this right, though, he did not ejaculate, meaning you can figure you used withdrawal as a method properly, a method estimated to be about 96% effective when used properly for one year. So, while I can't speak for the STI risks, the pregnancy risks in this case were not likely high.

It sounds most likely what you're feeling is PMS, but in the event your period doesn't show up when you expect it, or a few days after, then you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I will definitely play it safe next time and always use a condom even if it isn't intercourse. Do not want to experience this fear again.

I am not too worried for STI's as we have been together for the last 6 years and have been each others first, but I do understand how it could be a high risk for it.

I am happy to hear your response, really makes me feel so much better that there is not such a high risk. [Smile] Thank you very much.

I have another question, if I got my period 3 days after the genital to genital rubbing happened, wouldn't that mean I am pregnancy free?

Heather
Member # 3

If it looks like a period, acts like a period, and feels like a period? It probably is a period. And menstrual periods are a thing that happens when people are NOT pregnant.

So, yep. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Haha, I am so sorry. I am just the biggest over thinker! [Roll Eyes]

I worry about things such as how sometimes in early stages of pregnancy people do get a period and then don't get them after that. I seriously need to stop with google searching.

Heather
Member # 3

Google isn't a research tool: a lot of people seem to treat it like it is, but it really isn't one.

It's much more like a box full of random that you shake up, and who knows what will fall out. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

That is very true! It causes people to over think their situation, makes my anxiety go up. Such a bad habit!!
Heather
Member # 3

You can learn how to use it well, mind, but that does involve more than just putting words in the search engine.

It also means choosing neutral language, and not using language that will only pull up pages that basically validate a fear or misinformation. For example, when people here go and search "implantation bleeding" they are going to get a whole mess of stuff, even though that's not actually a medical term.

If you're interested in getting better at this, librarians are research superheroes. They are usually delighted to show anyone how to research well, including online, so if you go to a local library and ask for that help, you'll probably get it. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I will look into my local library to see how to research properly. [Smile]

Just a bit of an update, today I have yet to get my period and it is officially one month since my last period. My cramps don't seem as bad anymore, although I have tons of gas and I notice my cramps worsen when I am not sitting properly. I can now feel them almost all over my stomach and I am SO bloated, pregnancy still crosses my mind. [Frown]
Woke up nauseas and gagging, although I also get that way when my anxiety acts up.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jclark,

It's completely normal for a period to be late or early by a few days. And, since it sounds like you may be having PMS symptoms, your period is likely coming soon. But as, Heather said, you can always take a pregnancy test just to ease your mind.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Hello Sam, thank you for the reply.

I am absolutely terrified to take a pregnancy test. I just don't usually have cramps for this long without a period.

Do you think that if I had genital to genital rubbing and got my period 3 days later, in January, that I should be okay?

Heather
Member # 3

We've already addressed that. The suggestion to take a test is about suggesting something that would let you let this fear go, since making clear about what we think about your risk -- "If I have this right, though, he did not ejaculate, meaning you can figure you used withdrawal as a method properly, a method estimated to be about 96% effective when used properly for one year. So, while I can't speak for the STI risks, the pregnancy risks in this case were not likely high.
" -- doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the assessment that Heather already gave of your risks, and that the fact that you already had a period in January means you aren't pregnant.

I know the thought of the test may be scary, but some people find that nothing helps ease their anxiety like seeing a negative result. However, if you really don't think it will help, than you'll have to wait it out until your period comes. I think some self care might help with that:
Self-Care a La Carte

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Thank you both Heather and Sam. I am going to try to wait it out until Saturday and if my period still isn't there I'm going to do a pregnancy test.

I will check out the link, thank you

Heather
Member # 3

By the way, if you want to talk out why taking a test feels so scary to you, always happy to do that with people.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I would like that!
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a sense of why you find it so frightening? A pregnancy test won't actually change whether or not you're pregnant; it will just give you the facts about the situation. And those facts will, most likely, make it easier for you to move forward.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I understand what you mean.
I guess I'm just worried about the what ifs. What if I am pregnant?! I'm so worried about what may be the truth. I'm only 20, not married, still in school, my parents would not be happy [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

Well, were you pregnant, not knowing for sure would not magic it away.

It would just limit your options per managing that well the longer you waited to find out, and make it harder for you to deal with as a reality, not at all easier.

[ 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

You're right, I just find it so hard to deal with things like these [Frown]

I have very painful cramps and a lot of gas, do you think it's normal to experience this for 5 days now? Seems to be getting worse. Also, do you personally know anyone who has gotten pregnant by experiencing something like my situation?

Heather
Member # 3

Gas and painful cramps for five days is certainly not something someone without some kind of health issue tends to experience, so for sure, I'd check in with a healthcare provider.

Do people become pregnant from direct genital contact? Yep, that's how it happens. How about from using withdrawal? Yep, since it, like all methods, is not 100% effective. But we've already discussed my sense of how high the risk was here, so saying it again and again isn't a sound use of your time or mine. It also won't tell you anything about if you are or are not pregnant.

So, moving forward, since you find this so hard o deal with, one big thing I would take away from that is that you perhaps need to reevaluate if you're ready to be sexual like this. Sounds like maybe not, in which case, you got some helpful information here: even if sex feels good at the time, if you feel freaked to hell after, then you know something isn't right for you.

But for now, you have options: you can wait this out, you can take a test. These are the things you can actively do, and where you can take this from here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Hello, so I am now officially 4 days late for my period and still experiencing some cramps but more gas.

I decided to take a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I have another one so tomorrow I will do it just to be 110% sure.

I bought the First Response pregnant test, I hope their results are right!! Cause I'm feeling so much better. [Smile]

[ 02-08-2014, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: jclark283 ]

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you followed the instructions that came with the test, you can trust the results. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I made sure to follow the instructions. [Smile]

Since this morning, I've been having sharp, but definitely not severe pain in my lower abdomen. It's just in a small area above my private part. It also hurts when I press on the area. Now, I googled it and it said pregnancy or ovarian cyst. Any ideas?

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think Heather already addressed how Google is not a research tool, even when everybody else thinks it is. [Smile]

You had a negative test result, I'd advice to stick to that.

If by any chance you are worried about ovarian cyst, a healthcare provider is the best person to talk. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

Thank you, Edith.

My period is now 2 weeks late, I have gas in my lower abdomin but that has been on and off for the last 3 weeks. I'm also experiencing tender breasts.

I'm hoping both my pregnancy tests were right. I'm worried I took them too early (4 and 5 days after missed period).

Could there be a cause for me experiencing lots of gas and breast tenderness but no period? I just really don't want to end up pregnant. [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

If you are still having issues with gas and abdominal pain after weeks, then again, as I suggested before,it would be best you see a healthcare provider about that.

Do you have access to a general doctor or clinic? If so, given your concerns, but also these general health issues, that is the right place to go to get sound information on the cause.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jclark283
Neophyte
Member # 109509

I am still experiencing it, although it has been going down.

Do you think that I took my pregnancy tests too early?

Heather
Member # 3

Only you know if you followed the directions on your test per what it told you with timing.

But again, do you have access to general healthcare? If so, they are not only the right people to address your abdominal issues, they are also the right people to talk to should you still have pregnancy concerns, or feel better following up with a clinic test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.