Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Am I worrying too much? Late period for 1 week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I worrying too much? Late period for 1 week
MelissaM
Neophyte
Member # 109617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelissaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.
I would like to say what a nice site here for people that having scare day and night like me. And here is my case:

Me and my girlfriend ( excuse the display name ) have been together for quite sometimes but we always practice safe sex ( condoms ). And I always charted her menstrual cycle since June last year using a quite reliable application so we roughly know when to expect her next period. The apps also showed the unsafe,safe and fertile period during the cycle.

Her menstrual cycle usually average out 30 days everytime with 33 days being the longest and 27 days being the shortest. She had her last period on Jan 13th so thats make her next expected period was 12th Feb which was almost a week ago. According to the apps, her unsafe period was between 22nd Jan up to 2nd Feb with fertile period 27th to 29th Jan.

We had sex once a day started 30th Jan and all the way to 2nd Feb. We practiced safe sex of course with condom everytime and after I always checked the condom for any leak and such. There were none. I read about pre-ejaculation possibility but it is very unlikely as we put the condom on way before intercourse. And she also always make it a habit to clean her genital right after intercourse to help reducing more possibility of getting pregnant.

She fall ill for 6 days started 22nd Jan which is quite close to her ovulation date and took medication for that as well as multivitamin for appetite stimulant. She is quite underweight. This made me wondering whether this is the reason why her period is now a week late? She is 21 this year so technically from what the reading that I did suggested its normal as the cycle is not fully developed yet. She did not show any symptoms of PMS nor pregnancy. She said she just felt normal and just feel that the period is not coming yet.

This scares both of us a lot. I am quite positive that she is not pregnant as I know getting pregnant is not easy as it seems and somemore we practice safe sex and proper condom use. So am I worrying too much? I cant help it but worry until her period comes. We still havent take the HPT as we not ready to face it yet. Just asking whats the possibility here and I hope Scarleteen can enlighten both of us.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: malaysia | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being underweight often causes cycle irregularity because a certain amount of body fat is needed for menstruation to occur.

Unless those apps ask for her daily cervical mucus or basal temperature, they are not very reliable per when she may be most or least fertile, so we need to toss that info right out. Just menstrual periods alone just cannot give a very accurate prediction of those things.

I hear you saying condoms have always been used for all intercourse and used properly. That would make pregnancy very unlikely. Just so you both know, her cleaning up afterwards makes no difference: that does not reduce the risk of pregnancy any.

Since you two are engaging in the kind of sex where pregnancy is possible, even though it doesn't sound like there was any likely condom failure, I would advise she test all the same, especially if her periods are usually regular (though you are already noting a pretty big window of deviation with her cycles, so they may not be that regular, and this may just be a bit more irregularity than usual). I hear you saying you are not ready to face that, but honestly, when we have the kinds of sex that can potentially create a given outcome, we need to be ready to deal with that to some degree. Plus, if you are both worried, you are already dealing with this, you know?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.