Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » How likely is it for pregnancy tests to give incorrect responses?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How likely is it for pregnancy tests to give incorrect responses?
jasmine_101
Neophyte
Member # 109285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasmine_101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After having unprotected sex last month, although we used withdrawal, I took the emergency contraception within 36 hours. I now haven't had a period since the 3rd of December, meaning I'm around two weeks late this month.

I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and they have all shown to be negative, but I've been reading up things on the internet (which I know is a bad idea) but some people have said they've had situations where they have had a numerous number of negative pregnancy tests but have still been pregnant.

I know this is me probably being paranoid/over-reacting etc but each day that does by and my period doesn't appear, the more stressed it makes me. At the end of the day, the only way to know with certainty I'm not pregnant is to get a period.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most common side effect of taking EC is an irregular menstrual cycle. So, it is not at all unusual or a sign of concern that you have not a period yet.

If you took the tests according to the instructions, then you can be sure that the results are accurate. It would be extremely unlikely to have three false results in a row.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as they're taken according to the instructions in the packet and at least 14 days after a possible risk, pregnancy tests are very accurate. With three negative results, you can be very sure that that's the correct result. You can find out more here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pregnancy_parenting/peeing_on_a_stick_all_about_pregnancy_tests

Taking emergency contraception can sometimes really change the cycle temporarily, so it's not a weird surprise that your period's late.

The internet is chock-full of mind-bogglingly wrong information about sex education. When you want to know something, our very best advice to you and all of our users is that you only read information in reputable places written by trained experts. We've got a piece on how to identify that, if you're interested: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online A lot of what's on the internet generally can be written by anyone at all, and you can't know why they're writing it or what they know. They may be lying, for whatever reason, or they may be very misinformed themselves.

For dealing with that stress you're feeling, I'd suggest 1) stopping reading inaccurate scare stories on the internet and 2) being kind to yourself with some good self-care. If you need some tips for that, have a look here: Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would add to this that some people also are dreadfully bad at reading or following the directions for things. Home pregnancy tests are over 99% effective when used according to the directions. That last bit there is awfully critical.

So, I have no doubt, and know full well, there are probably many people who are being truthful about taking tests for a while and getting wring results, but what most of those people are likely not accounting for, considering, or sharing when they know they did not, is that they either did not read or did not follow the directions for tests.

[ 01-14-2014, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasmine_101
Neophyte
Member # 109285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasmine_101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think if my period still hasn't come in another week I should go and seek advice from a nurse/doctor?

I have no idea how many weeks is normal to be late after taking EC!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is really up to you and about what you would feel best about.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.