Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » Should I take a pregnancy test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I take a pregnancy test?
jasmine_101
Neophyte
Member # 109285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasmine_101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So last month I took the morning after pill within about 36 hours of having unprotected sex, although he did 'pull out'. I took the pill about two days after my last period, and then about 5 days after taking the pill I had what I thought was another period. I'm now 8 days late this month, should I be worried? My periods have never been regular, so being 5/6 days late really isn't unusual for me. I don't know whether I should take a test or leave it a little while longer?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi jj_95 and welcome to Scarleteen.

You can take a test, if you want to, when your period is late.

I don't see a particular reason for worry here, given that 1) it's not unusual for you to have an irregular period anyway, 2) taking emergency contraception can change the cycle a bit, including when a period comes, and 3) you said you used withdrawal, and so long as he didn't ejaculate in you or directly on your vulva, the chance of pregnancy is a lot lower than if he had, and you also took emergency contraception.

Also, if it was a period you had after the unprotected sex and taking emergency contraception - that is, you had a similar amount of bleeding for a similar length of time to your normal period - you can know that you aren't pregnant, because it's not possible to be pregnant and have a period.

If your period doesn't come, it's a good idea to take a test just to make sure. That is really a double-check, as from what you said your late period is much more likely to be just how it is this month or because of the EC than because of pregnancy.

Do you need any information about methods of contraception that are more reliable than withdrawal, or how to get them? Do you also need any information about sexual healthcare?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasmine_101
Neophyte
Member # 109285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasmine_101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply, Redskies.

That's what I was unsure about … the bleeding I had after the morning after pill seemed like an ordinary period but I've read that this kind of irregular bleeding is common and isn't always related to your cycle. If my next period was due a month after this 'period' then I'm not actually late at all … Is it possible that my cycle has re set it self according to this irregular bleeding I had after the pill?

I have an appointment on Friday to go on the pill, I definitely won't be making the mistake of relying on withdrawal again!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome.

Taking EC can make the cycle go wonky temporarily, including the possibility of some breakthrough bleeding and of completely changing the timing of periods. If that bleeding you had was like a period, then it probably was a period. It would make sense to count this cycle from that period, but again, there's no certainty there because of the possible wonky effect of the EC. It's not possible to know for sure what's going on with your period until it actually happens.

If you do want to take a pregnancy test, you don't have to wait until your best guest of when your period is actually late, because a test will be accurate from 14 days after your risk.

Good to hear you're getting sorted for contraception! Can I also double-check with you that your appointment will also cover sexual healthcare, including STI testing, or that you know how to get that, particularly as you've had unprotected sex?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasmine_101
Neophyte
Member # 109285

Yeah, it was just as heavy as my ordinary period and lasted for as long. However, it started just a week after my previous one… that's why I wasn't sure if it was related to my cycle or not.

I took the pregnancy test to be on the safe side and it was negative [Smile]

Yeah, I am planning to have an STI check too…. it takes one night of bad judgement to make you realise how risky unprotected sex is!

Thanks for the advice, its good to get another persons opinion in times of uncertainty.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.