Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Predator Finally Behind Bars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predator Finally Behind Bars
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this in the Yay! forum but for some reason I couldn't, so I felt this would be the next appropriate place since this is about my best friend.

A few years ago, my best friend was raped by a man she had previously had a relationship with. This horrible man was a professional liar, very charismatic (smooth talking with the ladies), manipulative and deceptive. A true danger to society. We were friends with him before the rape, because he was so good at fooling people. You couldn't help but enjoy his company.

After the rape happened and was reported, people in the community caught wind after he was arrested and harassed my friend calling her every name in the book. Saying she "asked for it" because she was intoxicated at the time. The man's family was well known in this small down and had donated to schools, athletics, everything. No one would believe him to be a rapist. My friend got threats from his friends. It got so bad that friends took turns staying the night with her to make sure one of them didn't do anything. (Even though it had been reported to the police, she was still frightened)

The trial happened a month ago. I testified and it was scarier than I could have imagined. Facing him, after what he would have done to her and seeing the look in his eyes. He knew he was going to get off. He had the smuggest look. He had the best lawyer, he had friends who lied and covered for him. All until he got nervous on the stand and his lies starting falling through. Stories changed, the jury was aware. In the end he was sentenced to 7 years in prison for this horrific crime.

We had little hope he would be convicted, but the system came through for my friend. She can never return to her hometown, but she is now at peace knowing that he is behind bars.

I wanted to share this because it has been on my shoulders for some time and I am so relieved at the outcome. Also, for others who may have been in this situation, there is hope!

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What fantastic news. As it sounds like you know, often, shamefully, those who rape actually getting charged and prosecuted, and getting real time, is dicey at best.

I am so glad that was not the case for your friend, and what a wonderful friend you are to testify on her behalf and be such a great support for her. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Heather [Smile]
Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.