Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Years Later... A BIG thanks to Scarleteen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Years Later... A BIG thanks to Scarleteen
mxf3922
Neophyte
Member # 107483

Icon 7 posted      Profile for mxf3922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago I had an account under "Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?", but I have not visited the site for years until a few years ago. I could not remember my email address, password, and it was even an act of congress for me to figure out what my old username was. So, I made me a new account... I just wanted to give a big shout out to all those who helped me years ago when I really needed the help and give an update on where I am in life now. I'm not sure if those same people are still on Scarleteen, but if you ever read this, I appreciate you listening to me and helping me through the hard times from the bottom of my heart.

Here are some of my past threads:
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/9/t/001367.html#000000

http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/3/t/009982.html#000000

http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/3/t/009916.html#000000

There were many more-pregnancy scares, relationship issues, me just venting....

So here's the update. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, but I am covering years worth of update here. So, just hang with me, okay?

I'm not sure when I posted last on this site, but my mom and stepdad ended up getting a divorce during the summer of 2010, right before the start of my senior year. It was brutal. Prior to the divorce, there was violence in the house, and their marriage ended with him literally locking us out of the house with none of our stuff and no where to go. Financially, emotionally, and physically it was draining for my mom, my brother, and myself, but we made it. I ended up getting a scholarship that pretty much covered all of my expenses to go to a school that was 3 hours away, but at the last minute, I chose to stay home with my mom and brother and our local university because my mom was still suicidal and I couldn't leave her and my brother at the time. I picked up multiple jobs, and I did all that I could to help. My ex and I broke up here and there, but we ended up dating until the middle of my freshman year of college. Right after I had started college, we had agreed the only way we were going to stay together is if he moved in with my mom, brother, and I. So, that's what he did, but a few months later, he decided that he wanted space... and that was pretty much that. He moved out, and I moved on. He begged me to come back, but I realized that I wanted, and deserved, more. Around this same time, my mom was still trying to deal with the divorce, but things took a turn for the worst. She brought random men in and out of the house until one day she got involved with a much younger guy who did drugs. I was busy with school and work, but one day I came home to find that my 16 year old brother had been alone all week with no food in the house. Knowing I had already made the decision to move over an hour away with my best guy friend "Ryan" in just a few weeks, I was horrified. So, I stopped trying to shelter him and told him the truth about how I thought our mother was on drugs. We both moved out of the house the next day, without Mom knowing. He moved to my grandparents, and I moved to my uncles to stay a few weeks before I'd move to the city. Mom ended up eloping with this younger guy a month later. During the year that followed, she struggled with drugs, ended up getting diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and tried to commit suicide at least once.... but today, a lot has changed. I am now a junior in college, and I have every intent on furthering my education and earning my masters in counseling. I am also getting married in just 14 shorts day to "Ryan". I truly couldn't have dreamed of a better man to spend the rest of my life with. He is a strong Christian and wanted to wait to have sex for marriage. So, that's what we've done, but we have decided that we will both openly accept children after we are married. (But only until the third one [Wink] I only want three) Too, my brother is heading to one our state's biggest university with the intent to study pre-med. My mom has been clean for a few months now, and the guy she married actually told her he wanted a divorce about a month ago and kicked her out. Unfortunately, she's already talking to another guy, whom I know has a previous history with drugs. (Some things never change, I suppose). But she is living with my grandparents and clean for the time being. My ex and Istill text every now and then to catch up, and he actually got into a really bad work accident 7 or 8 months ago. The doctors were afraid he'd never walk again, but he's made steady progress since then. We're not best friends, but every blue moon we catch up as old friends do. My dad and I's relationship has also completely turned around. Following my high school graduation, my dad really did a 360. In fact, he actually plans on traveling over 500 miles for my brothers high school graduation next week and then staying a whole week more here in the city that I live to help out with our wedding planning. Plus (and I almost forgot to tell all of you), "Ryan" and I both got jobs counseling children/teenagers that went through/are going through a lot of the stuff that we did.

I'm still a broke college student trying to make ends meet, but I'm happy to say that I made it out of those tough years that I never thought I'd see past. What y'all did for me, and others who need a little advice or a listening each, is just remarkable! I thank each and every one of you that helped me. If it weren't for the advice of some of you on here, I don't know if I would be where I am today!

[ 05-11-2013, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: mxf3922 ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, you! How great to see you again. [Smile]

Sounds like you've really been through the mill, but I'm so delighted yo see you reporting having come out the other side! Also delighted to hear you're going into a similar field. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.