Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » an end in sight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: an end in sight
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've suffered from debilitating depression for YEARS. And I've been on almost every pill for it -- I've even gotten ECT treatments. None of it worked. Until...

I got put on lithium a few months ago. A very low dose. I immediately felt better, but my doctor was very doubtful that it was the lithium because I'd had so many failures with other pills. He figured my depression was from life circumstances and I'd probably always be depressed.

Then, things turned for the worse. I became depressed again. My doctor figured that was inevitable, but sent me for a blood test anyway. Guess what? My lithium levels had TANKED. So my doctor upped my lithium dosage.

Within three days I was feeling better -- getting out of bed, showering, eating, taking care of myself in general, and even doing my homework! My therapist (not the same person as my doubtful doctor) says this is definitely a sign that I have a "serious, very real chemical imbalance" and that if we stay on top of it with the medication, I could one day have my depression under control!!!!!!

This is so much more than I had ever hoped for. After so many years, the best I thought I'd get was a quick death. But now... I could be happy again. The thought of that is -- incredible.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really is a yay! I'm really happy for you.
Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yayayay!! That is so exciting to hear. Have things continued to be better than usual? I hope they continue to improve - everyone deserves to be happy!!
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! The right meds really do make a huge difference.
Posts: 461 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.