Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Take Back the Night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Take Back the Night
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 7 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so excited, because an abuse/sexual assault prevention group (that I'm a part of) at my university planned Take Back the Night which is happening tonight!! So many people RSVP'd to go, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! I'll let you all know how it goes. [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My university had some TBTN events when I was a student, but I never went; I really wish I had. It sounds like it'll be a great and well-attended event.

I'd love to hear your thoughts afterward since I haven't experienced one myself.

Posts: 1345 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How'd it go, MusicNerd?

My very favorite lecturing gig the last two years has been speaking for take Back the Night at one of the local colleges here. I love the history of TBTN, and am always so glad when colleges and universities (as well as other groups) are still doing it or are bringing it back.

Do you know about the history of the very first TBTN? If not, it's AMAZING. It's one of the things I focused my first talk for them on.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!

It was amazing! Unfortunately, since I've recently come down with a cold, I wasn't able to do the actual march bit (though I hope to do the march part for next year), but I was there for the opening ceremony before the march and the candlelight vigil after the march. It was so powerful to have been a part of something so amazing, and I was really moved by all the students and faculty who came (there were a few hundred people who came).

Heather, I had no idea you spoke at a TBTN! That's so cool!! [Smile] I actually am aware of the history, and it really is amazing; I'm just grateful that even though the event that sparked the first TBTN was tragic, the outcome (TBTN) became something so powerful for so many people worldwide.

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how it is a lot of the time - it's like we have a collective camel and straw gets continually added to its back, and then eventually people say, "No more!", often sparked by a tragic incident that captures people's attention. But it doesn't always have to be that way!

[ 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does feel awesome to be part of something so empowering. I wish I would have been more involved with events put on by the Women's Center and campus groups focused on assault/abuse awareness at my university. I've learned that even before or after college similar events are going on in the community if you look for them and being a part of them always feel meaningful to me - like recharging you batteries.

That's so great that it went well!

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.