Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » What are you an artist of?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you an artist of?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up, I was always a very creative person, and through my life have been very involved making both music and visual art, and also as a creative writer, amongst other things.

But my sister always had this idea she wasn't creative, wasn't an artist, because her arts were outside of what often is thought of as "the arts," like theater, music, dance or visual art.

Creative outlets are so important and so valuable, something another user, saff, brought up in another thread this morning. And in my experience, everyone is an artist at at least one thing, if not often more. For instance, some people are artists of verbal communication, some of cooking or baking, some of community organizing, some of languages, some of knitting, some of gardening, some of collage-making or scrapbooking, some of sports-or-game-inventing.

So....what are you an artist of?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saff
Neophyte
Member # 48225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ART! [Big Grin]
Here's my portfolio:
http://saffysparkles.daportfolio.com/

I'll make my own site soon.

Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexher
Neophyte
Member # 47247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an artist of all kinds of art!! It excites me to create things of beauty. I like painting (watercolor and acrylic), drawing (recently started trying ink-only drawings), and cooking, and I'm just barely starting to try music (piano) and dancing (just dancing).

And, I appreciate many, many forms of art and beauty, like noticing how green the trees are after it rains, or listening to new and un/usual music, reading various kinds of literature, etc etc etc.

Art is something I thrive on. There's always something new to try out, something old to admire and enjoy and learn from. And there is the present, too. [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: Alabama | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I paint and draw, I haven't done much of it lately (though I am working on a huge painting of an octopus [Big Grin] ).

It's funny that you mention baking as an art though. I never thought of it like that! Lately I've been into experimenting with bread. My new oven has a proofing setting, and it's fantastic for letting the bread rise (especially since I have air conditioning so it's too cold usually!). I've made different kinds of whole wheat loafs, white loafs (including cinnamon swirl, and double apple swirl), french breads, focaccia, and some italian herb bread. I've also been trying to perfect pizza dough! I also make some of the world's most delicious pies. Key lime and lemon meringue are my specialties!

I'm a bit of a singer too. I was in a musical in highschool (had a lead role!) but I've never really been a GREAT singer. However, I enjoy it quite a lot. I like listening to musicals, figuring out the harmonies, and trying to sing all the different parts. It's quite fun to record them all. There's really no end goal, but the process is really fulfilling!

OH! I also consider myself a bit of a makeup artist (though definitely not by trade!). I love to express myself through different colours and textures. I enter quite a few makeup contests, and it really sparks my creativity. It ties in a lot to photography because to properly capture a look you have to know your camera inside out and find the perfect lighting.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough, I've always considered baking an art... maybe it's because my mother's such a wonderful cook, or because of growing up looking through all the beautiful meals/pastries/cakes in her cookbooks, or both.

My personal art things are music, writing (though I hardly do that at all anymore), and gardening. I do also draw, but it's less about expressing emotion for me... I draw more for the process, for the feeling of satisfaction I get with a finished piece, but I don't really draw things that express something to me -- I tend to draw from photographs or real life, always trying to challenge myself, less of an outlet thing. I also don't tend to draw when I'm feeling the need for release of emotions or the need to express myself. I do it just 'cause it's fun and I feel like taking on a challenge [Smile]

The visual art that is more about expressing/being an outlet for something for me is photography. I love experimenting with angles, subject matter, what mood/concept I'm trying to get across and how I'm doing it. And just the process of it really calms me and releases built up emotions; having to think critically, analyze a scene and situation to consider how to best take advantage of it to get across the point. I always like having something to focus on.

And in terms of gardening, I love the feeling of manual labour, and the moment when you can step back with your hands all muddy, dripping sweat, but you can smile because all your hard work has paid off. It calms me and I can pour my pent up energy into the work. And it's always nice to take a little bit of life's frustration out on that ugly dying fern out in the front yard or whatever it may be [Wink]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I draw, though I haven't in ages, but I do love it. When I was younger I drew in Simpsons style for about five years, because I was so into the show... my teachers complained a lot. My favourite drawings I've ever done are probably some of the scribble drawings I did in my life drawing class (I mean I would draw from the inside, shaping muscles in pencil strokes), a picture I did of Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry (copied from a photograph), and some I did of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop, Tsubaki from Kare Kano and Manji from Blade of the Immortal. I have also drawn a lot of bottles LOL. Anime inspired me to become an animator and I'm still trying to get somewhere with that. I enjoy painting and collage as well (I made my boyfriend this awesome card for his birthday this year).

I made an AMV (Animated/Anime Music Video)! It has the anime Cardcaptor Sakura with the song Destination Calabria by Alex Gaudino featuring Crystal Waters, I won't post a link, but it is on the net.

I sing a lot, not professionally, just for fun, but I love figuring out how to do what the original singer did with their voice.

I've started writing too, it's a script that I will probably use for a graphic novel.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to draw of a lot by hand (mostly manga or videogame characters), when I was younger. Though I still draw, it's much less than before. Nowadays, I'm drawing using computers, and I taught myself how to use Photoshop and Flash to draw and paint. I love to write and I've been keeping a document to keep my poems/short prose since '06 or '07, and it's over 100 pages by now. I tried writing a novel once ('05), but I gave up on that after a few years (I kept editing over and over again...I'm a perfectionist sometimes [Roll Eyes] ). I play guitar too, though I'm not that good. Sometimes I sing (I used to be in a choir, when I was younger).

I also consider baking an art. I'm amazed by all the beautiful things you can do by baking (and I have a weird fascination with cakes, though I can't bake one without the pre-made mix [Razz] ). Photography is something I've been interested in as well, but Ive never pursued it.

[ 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Animica ]

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devanie
Activist
Member # 46095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I draw, mostly in an anime/manga-esk style, but occasionally I try other styles. I also love to color other people's lineart, which is an art and set of skills in and of itself. I also have an interest in photo manipulation.

I sing and act, too. I think I'm a pretty darn good singer, too... even if I still have a lot to learn.

When I was younger I liked to sew, I wasn't very good, but...I'm gonna start sewing again. A lolita style dress, actually. (Lolita as in the fashion style, not the book)

Posts: 116 | From: SL | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpet Master
Neophyte
Member # 47863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpet Master     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to draw usually anime-y type people. I also LIVE to play the trumpet. I love the sounds I some how get out of it and then to hear it mix in with the other instruments and somehow make a beautiful song.... It gives me the chills. I also like to cook. All sorts of things. Some of them turn out awesome and others... Well not so awesome. I make a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies! I also dabble a little in poetry. It isn't very good but it's not like anyone else is going to read it! Lol

--------------------
I say you love who you love. Lust over who you lust over. And are happy with who you are happy with. Everything inbetween doesn't matter!!!

Posts: 29 | From: United States of America | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poetrylover16
Neophyte
Member # 50026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poetrylover16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My creative outlet is poetry. Recently, however, i wrote this poem and my grandma thought i should get councling because she thought it was morbid. It sucks when you recive negative thoughts or none at all.
Posts: 21 | From: Saskatchewan Canada | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some poetry IS dark or morbid, including poetry from some of the most skilled poets in history. I mean, if T.S. Eliot isn't morbid, I'm not sure what is!

It's a pity your grandma didn't give you more feedback than that, for sure, but at the same time, our art does often show up our psychological space when we do it well, so her intentions may have been good.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poetrylover16
Neophyte
Member # 50026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poetrylover16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its my personal opinion that dark poems are better, i just cant really like a happy poem, i dont read a happy poem and say that was intense.. it more powerful when dark or sad or angry..
Posts: 21 | From: Saskatchewan Canada | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I draw and I play violin. Sometimes I write, but I'm really self conscious about it and I don't like rereading what I've written because it usually makes me cringe.

I also sing and dance but only in private, after I nearly knocked someone out, and I am really not exaggerating. I was completely absorbed in my dancing and someone shorter than me walked past. And I elbowed them in the head and they fell to the ground. So I think its better to keep it to myself until I gain a little more hand-eye coordination [Wink] .

And I am a gingerbread house artist, I make one every year for Christmas and last year I upped my standard to a two roomed brick cottage with bay window, chimney and fenced garden. It was pretty awesome, but it was hard eating it after so much time and effort into it! This year I'm planning on adding furniture and a horse stable out the back [Smile] .

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TonicTwelve, do you take photographs of them before you eat them?

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You are all so fabulous, sometimes I hardly know what to do with myself! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

I've decided to try creating something with my boyfriend (NOT A PREGNANCY), we're thinking of making a short film, if that doesn't work out we could do a movie poster for a film that doesn't exist or make some music. We'll find something. I'm on scripting duty.

--------------------

TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes absolutely, I don't think I could bring myself to destroy them otherwise. Here is last years, the chimney slid off because I ran out of egg white icing and just used normal icing and it didn't set [Frown] So I stuck Santa on the roof to cover the bald patch [Wink]

gingerbread house

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you made this monstrously sugary delight [Smile] ! I think you should bake and decorate for money...

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

It looks beautiful and sparkly and delicious.

--------------------

mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write fiction, and hope to be published one day. I draw too, but not as often, and I'm not as good at drawing as I am at writing, but I'm okay with that - it's okay-looking even if it's not brilliant, and I'm just doing it for fun.

I planned to take guitar lessons this year as well, but time was lacking. Maybe in the new year. Also planning to get hold of a little mini-keyboard, and I think I could teach myself to play that without lessons.

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Aww thank you Eryn and Jill. Maybe next year I'll make a couple of smaller ones and give them away as presents, this years is going to come out of a packet unfortunately [Frown] because we are moving house with just our sedan and a trailer so we're pretty busy. But I anticipate even greater heights next year! [Big Grin]
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a writer, poetry and short fiction. I have a few stories and poems that I honestly wrote simply because I had a repeating idea that would not leave my head, and writing it down seemed like the best way to...it's like...imagine a little piece of paper with a phrase written on it that keeps flapping around your head, like an annoying fly. You finally catch it, and glue it into a notebook, and it doesn't bother you anymore. That's how I am. I had the phrase "A Castle in the Sky" stuck in my head for weeks before I wrote one of my favorite stories, and the idea of a shape-shifting assassin wouldn't leave until I wrote about Anna, who is now one of my favorite characters. And I had nearly all of my favorite poem written, but I didn't put it on paper until I got to my teen writing camp, because otherwise I couldn't get people to workshop it as well. It was a comparison between flying and that marvelous, stomach-dropping sensation one gets when leaping from a swing.

I also knit very well, crochet long chains, sew basic tunic-style dresses for Polly Pocket dolls, and embroider well. I love the Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce, because the main characters have what is called "ambient magic", which is worked through everyday things. One is a plant mage, another is a metalworking (or smith) mage. My favorite (the only one who loves reading) is a weather mage, and there's a "stitch witch", who works through fabrics and threads. It makes me smile to think that knitting is a kind of magic too.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherlocklovesmuffins
Neophyte
Member # 51381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherlocklovesmuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a decent poet but really love fiction. I write a lot but mostly share with my friends since I'm not published....yet. I absolutely love words and have the vocabulary of someone much older than me. I also love to act. Just not musicals...I don't sing or dance very well. Finally I am truly in love with music. I play two instruments officially.

--------------------
Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.

Posts: 13 | From: The Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write and do origami and do string figures (things like Jacob's ladder, cats cradle, etc.) Oh! And I like baking and candy making as well!
Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love photography.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
words and pictures. i love photography and i love writing fiction
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karla1234
Neophyte
Member # 71944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karla1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do creatinve writing. I'm working on my own series and I have several ideas for short stores. I adore watercolor painting and enjoy drawing with pencil, ink, and charcoal/pastel chalk. I also like arts and crafts (making anything with a glue gun).
Posts: 29 | From: Maine | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MudPuppy
Neophyte
Member # 37153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MudPuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a crochet artist! Look at my blog if you like, although I've uploaded very little, since I only upload patterns I've written myself and I'll admit most of the time I make things using other people's patterns. http://goneinaminute.tumblr.com/ But I count it as art even when it's not technically original, since I change things enough for it to be my own work in one way or another. I'm quite proud of some of the stuff I've done, especially since I only learned how to do this a year ago.

--------------------
"We held on to hopes of better days coming/ And when we did we were right!"

Posts: 30 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, CraneWife! I've never seen 3 Dimensional crochet before. That's really cool. I especially like the pie one!
Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a creative writer, my cousin, who is an author loves my style of writing on my blog. I haven't wrote lately, been busy. I love writing, it's not something I do everyday, it's something that I can just go to and create something through writing. Here is a link to one of my favorites that I wrote; http://chantalwilcox.com/each-foot-step/ [Wink]
Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oopsie, I can't delete it. admins? :/
Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an artist of anything! I like a challenge to turn something into art and will make do with whatever I have. I'm studying to be an art teacher in college. I love...ceramics, sculpting (metalworking), printmaking and photography! I'm learning all about the darkroom process and having fun with it.
Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polekat
Neophyte
Member # 100895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polekat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erp. Slightly old thread. Anyways...

I guess I'm more artistic than people seem to realise (I'm known for academic things rather than the arts). Music is my main thing, seeing as I joined my school orchestra earlier this year as a percussionist - I'd also like to take up rock drumming though as it's a completely different skill set.

[edited to continue, my computer's being strange]

Really, my main crafty thing is building functional things out of scraps etc; I'm part of a club that plays capture the flag with nerf guns and suchforth, and I recently hacked together a foam sword made to proportions I liked. It's more of a skill than an art, but there's a certain kind of beauty in things you've made that work exactly how they're meant to.

I also juggle, though I've been out of practice for several months now and have only just re-started. Clubs are currently too heavy, but the muscle memory is all still there. With any luck I'll be onto knives by the end on next year (safely, of course!)

[ 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Polekat ]

--------------------
"The hands of the many must join as one, and together we'll cross the river." - Puscifer, The Humbling River.

Posts: 2 | From: Probably further south than you are. | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely a beauty in things working how they're meant to, particularly if you've made them yourself.

Welcome to Scarleteen!

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Polekat, what you said reminded me of this anime movie called Princess Arete where they talk about humans having magic in their hands because we can create and craft so many things [Smile]

[ 12-08-2012, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.