Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » I realized something the other day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I realized something the other day
Conny
Neophyte
Member # 97270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having a conversation with a friend in college about this before, and since then I haven't really been able to get it out of my mind. It just stuck with me in the worst possible way, probably because I knew I was doing something terribly wrong.

There is a girl in the college, you see, who is so beautiful you would almost have to look twice at her just to be sure she was real. As she walked past, myself and my friend started to discuss the notion of beauty and soon it downturned into an area we both agreed was "boring beauty".

"Have you ever met someone," I posed, "that is so generically perfect and beautiful that you have absolutely no interest in them at all?"

We suggested that when someone is of such a high standard of beauty it would actually turn us off that person, that they probably weren't even interesting because they didn't look interesting. That beauty would be the only real thing they posessed and nothing else.

We parted ways that day, holding our heads high with the notion that simply because of someone's physical perfection we were somehow better than them by looking more interesting .

The next day I felt absolutely awful.

I pride myself on my candid nature and my honesty and openness and I truly try to love and accept everyone no matter what they look like. How dare I suggest such as fallacy as a notion of physical perfection, as well as that somehow being a persons' one and only defining feature and not the strength of their character.

So I saw that beautiful girl standing in the canteen buying a cup of tea and I pressed myself to prove my theory wrong, because I knew I was being a fool.

I noticed her cup was made by a company called Bodum, and I wondered if perhaps she was an industrial design student. I commented on the cup and asked her where she bought it, to which she replied with a shop in the city centre I frequent for all of my kitchen-ware needs.

We purchased our tea and had a conversation about the shop, and she quoted a Lecturer in the college in a way I knew well, so the conversation turned to this Lecturer and her little quirks which we both enjoyed.

We spoke for over an hour.

I like to think that once I overcame my silly self-righteousness I actually made a friend with whom I share many common interests. So that my friends is my YAY, that if you question your train of thought and challenge it, you can greatly benefit yourself and others around you.

Posts: 15 | From: Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing! That is a yay.

Sometimes people tend to quote sayings without actually thinking about what they mean, but I think this really is a great example of the "never judge a book by its cover" saying, especially since books (or people) don't actually get to choose their covers.

Again, thanks for sharing. I smiled as I read this.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a really wonderful story, Conny! I can definitely relate to this, because I tend to have my own preconceived notions about people who look like they spend a lot of time in the gym. Now, I'm actually trying to become one of those people once I recover from my mono. [Razz]

Thank you for posting that. yay [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.