Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » own your space

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: own your space
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eight months ago I decided to sign up for my local roller derby rec league on a whim. I hadn't played a sport or exercised regularly since my high school hockey career ended with a torn thigh muscle. My free time was mostly consumed by laying half-stoned watching My Little Pony and eating Eggo waffles with cream cheese.

The first practice was rough. I didn't even have the muscle strength to pick myself up after falling without using my hands. My ankles bent inwards just like they had when I was a kindergartener learning to ice skate for the first time. I was out of shape, but I felt wonderfully free gliding around on skates again. I was sore for several days after that which made me feel a little accomplished. I started hitting the roller rink every Friday night and/or Saturday afternoon. I worked out almost every day to build up my leg muscles again, so that I could skate without my hockey injury causing me pain. Practices got easier. I bought my own skates so I could start skating outside whenever I felt like it (which turned into almost every day).

Finally the team’s trainer decided I was ready to start scrimmaging. The first one went by in a blur of speeding sweaty bodies and me falling on my butt. The adrenaline wouldn’t stop flowing for an hour after I’d left the track. The league members invited me out for drinks, where I found out that they were a group made up of scientists, students, single mothers, artists, and businesswomen. This is the first group I’ve ever felt like I could belong to as myself.

After more hard work on my own, I began to stand out in practices and scrimmages. I gained confidence and love for my body as I saw myself moving with more agility, hitting harder, and truly owning my space. Objectively I’d gotten faster, stronger, and slimmer. But the real change was in how I think of my body. The end goal of eating healthily and exercising shifted from looking a certain way to performing better. Form really does follow function.

I decided to reward myself by getting the large survivor’s tattoo I’d wanted for years. I wear it with a pride I couldn’t have imagined before I got it. It makes me feel powerful, sexy, and in control of my body. The abstract phoenix design feels like a symbol I’ve really earned.

Now I’m preparing to try out for the local semi-professional team and am so excited to take my love for the sport to the next level.

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock the hell ON, polyprotic! That is all so awesome!

(Whip It must now be your favorite movie. [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...now I want to watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic [Razz]

Well done to you, polyprotic [Smile] I'm trying to find a way to get more exercise, and I don't think the one you detailed is for me (I'm really not good with pain, so lots of falling down = bad idea) but I admire your determination and commitment, and I'm happy for you as you seem to be really enjoying it, I'm also glad that you found a good group of people to work with, that makes team sports a lot easier [Smile]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, now I really want to learn to roller blade!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: I made the team! [Big Grin]
Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROCK ON!!!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burdened with glorious booty
Activist
Member # 93241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burdened with glorious booty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine (who I sort of fancy the pants off of) is part of the local Roller Derby team, and I intend to join her with that once I know I can afford the regular lessons. I wouldn't be joining just because I fancy her or whatever, but because I've always liked roller skating and I've been interested in the idea of Roller Derby ever since I heard it existed. So I guess I'll be joining you in that soon enough. [Big Grin]

At the same time, I've had that internal response myself in regards to Pole Fitness, which makes me feel gorgeous. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ta-da!

Posts: 130 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.