Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Who wants to talk about the animation and/or comics they love?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who wants to talk about the animation and/or comics they love?
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the aforementioned two things, so I've started a thread about them.

SUGGESTED GROUND RULES: Aside from the standard forum rules, I strongly advise the following (note the mods are welcome to disagree and I apologise if I'm being presumptuous, I'm just making suggestions because I've forgotten that the yay forum is the yay forum before and I agree that we should be trying to keep it about the yay):

1. No bashing of other people's likes. There's a place for heated discussion and debate of the reasons why one liked or disliked a show, but I don't really think the yay forum is it, I don't want to silence criticism of the values put forth by a work, but it's probably better off in another thread in a different section of the boards (perhaps we could create a parallel thread in the media forum for serious discussions?), and certainly if you just want to say "your favourite show sucks", that's going to be bad for the yay.

2. No posting in detail about potentially triggering aspects of a work, though it's fine to say that something helped you with a healing/recovery process. I'd be interested in any input anyone has to provide on what is acceptable in this thread in this forum and what is not, is it ok to briefly mention potentially triggering themes in a work if they are key parts of the plot and a warning is provided, for instance?

3. Don't say things like "if you don't like this you have no heart/feelings/soul/aren't human/don't love", for obvious reasons (not that you have to believe in souls, just that differing tastes are not a good reason to conclude that you have one yet someone else doesn't).

And if the mods feel that this isn't an appropriate place for this thread, please feel free to move it. The reason I put it here was because I wanted to make a thread full of warm gushing and enthusiasm and yay about the topic.

And you don't have to lay out your comments like I did, they don't even have to be about a work as a whole, they can be about a specific character, or a specific issue of a comic or about how tasty you thought the food in a scene looked, or just "I love X and/or Y and/or Z", or whatever else you like.

Anyway, on with the thread!!!

Animation:

Fullmetal Alchemist (51 episodes of 25 minutes or so each + 100 minute film, Japanese with English subs) - Just finished watching this amazing show, about two brothers (surname Elric) who go on a quest to get back something they lost as the result of misusing alchemy, one of them (Alphonse) is now a soul affixed to a suit of armor, the other (Edward) has a very versatile prosthetic arm and leg, and is known as the Fullmetal Alchemist. It's got moving drama, distinctive character designs, thoughful commentary on some serious issues, and hilarious comedy, and the voice acting in Japanese is top notch, plus there are some amazingly kinetic animation sequences and gorgeous music (I would totally buy CD soundtracks). I'd recommend looking it up before watching it as it's a quite sad show that may trigger some people (in fact I think it's pretty certain to trigger some people), but I can't recommend it enough to anyone who's thinks they're up for it. There's this great character who's called Alex Louie Armstrong, and he's always flexing his muscles and he's very emotional and when he's moved these little pick twinkles appear around his head, it's adorable! And there's an episode where Alphonse adopts a kitten! I was also really impressed by just how well the anime communicates the loving sibling relationship between Ed and Al, you really get a sense of how much they care for each other. And there was an amazing episode called "Mother" that I found really moving. I'm now watching the remake (which is called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), which they did because the first anime stops following the manga halfway through and has a completely different ending, so they did another version which follows the manga, I couldn't get into it at first as I thought the first anime told that part of the story better, but when it started adapting the part of the manga not covered in the first anime, it became amazing and I'm really into it now, it's got the same VAs for the two brothers and the production values are... just wow.

Ocean Waves (film, Japanese with English subs) - Slice of life, directed by Tomomi Mochizuki, that does a very good job of capturing some of the social dynamics of high school, it's a romance as well and I really enjoyed watching it play out.

I am currently watching:

Eureka Seven - The sequence when Eureka and Renton are standing in the golden pool was one of the most beautiful, romantic things I've ever seen. Animation and visuals are gorgeously shiny and bright. Really good love story with giant robots on surfboards in the sky. Has some serious, potentially triggering stuff, look up before watching.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I'm not generally an MLP fan, but I love this! They're going to start releasing it on DVD, and I can't decide whether to buy the singles or wait for season/half season sets. I love the bright colours and production design, I love the characters, I love the little musical numbers.

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated - I'm also not generally a Scooby Doo fan, but I love this too, the animation is great, it's funny (I love all the jokes about how obsessed Fred is with setting traps), it's got a nice effectively scary while still kid suitable thing going on (kinda like Courage the Cowardly Dog), and I like how they're building up a bigger mystery.

Soul Eater - Awesome Tim Burton-esque production design, comedy, cool action sequences, really enjoying it. May trigger some, look up before watching.

I am also planning to go and see Arthur Christmas and Tales of the Night at the cinema.

Comics:

I am currently reading:

Antique Bakery
Banana Fish
Fruits Basket
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Mars
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Rurouni Kenshin

[ 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- double post -

[ 11-19-2011, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jill, is there a U.K channel for MLP? Or do you just Youtube it?

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am watching it on teh internetz. However, if there were a freeview u.k. channel airing it I would watch it (as long as I didn't have to get up really early or something). I've only watched a few episodes actually, I'm planning to catch up by importing the u.s. DVD releases.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Did you ever watch The Powerpuff Girls or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends?

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Yep, and I'm aware that the key creative force behind MLP: FIM (Lauren Faust) is married to the creator of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (Craig McCracken). I used to watch TPG a lot when I was a kid, though it was never one of my favourite shows, I like it a lot more now and I've watched the movie and have the 10th anniversary complete series boxset in my DVD backlog. As for FHFIF, I watched that on TV a lot a few years ago when I had cable, and now have seasons one and two on DVD, sadly they can't seem to be bothered to release the rest.

Animation:

Finished:

Redline (film, Japanese with English Subtitles) - I saw this in the cinema and was delighted by it, so I bought it on DVD from HMV soon after it came out at a grumble-inducingly high price, I really enjoyed watching it again, it's full of shiny pretty things and explosions and cool music and romance and is about a big honking car race. I'd love to own it on Blu-ray (don't have a player or an HD TV) but the DVD has very good picture quality.

Started:

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated - Bought the first DVD of four episodes (at least they're going to release the final fourteen episodes of the first season as a single cheaply priced set), have watched the first two episodes so far, enjoyed watching them again. Also pleased to see a lot of language and subtitle options and proper chapter breaks of the kind that are standard for anime (pre-opening credits sequence, opening credits sequence, first part of episode, second part of episode, end credits, next episode preview is what you get with most DVDs, of course not all series have all of those episode parts in the first place) rather than just select an episode.

Continued:

Eureka Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Comics:

Korgi

also still reading everything I mentioned earlier in the thread.

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Hi Jill, how did you get the PPGs complete set to work in the UK?

Also, where did you get your Foster's DVDs from?! (And do they work over here?)

Sorry, cartoon crisis!

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Both the PPG and FHFIF DVD sets are R1 DVDs from the u.s., they are official releases and I bought them from amazon/amazon marketplace, I have a multi-region DVD player and I've never found an official release it couldn't play, it's officially multi-region rather than hacked. It's a Toshiba SD-330E, I don't know whether they still make them or how much they cost. There's a free, open-source downloadable media player called VLC which may be worth looking into, I have it and it plays all regions but not all discs (at least, it certainly plays R1 & R2, it should play other regions but I haven't tested them), it's a bit random what it will and won't play (for reasons of programming bugs rather than corporate red tape). I can check whether it will play the PPG and FHFIF sets if you like.

Incidentally, probably at least half of the animation I have on DVD is imported from the u.s., I've been importing since my early days of buying anime on DVD at 15.

[ 11-26-2011, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my best friend into MLP:FIM. He's a twenty-seven-year-old man, and he now co-writes pony fanfic with me. Bronies rock XD (Not intending to make fun, just saying you don't have to be a kid to love that show.)

I'm also just getting into Hetalia. The baby nations are the cutest things ever, especially Chibimerica. I'm not usually fond of popular anime or manga as I don't have the attention span or time or money to catch up with the long-running series, but I love this one. Most of the anime/manga I've ever been able to get into is horror - I like When They Cry, Petshop of Horrors, and Junji Ito's stuff, though I'll warn anyone who wants to go looking that the latter and the former are terrifying (Petshop's a bit more subtle).

As for cartoon movies, I have a soft spot for the animated Lord of the Rings, purely because it's so terribly cheesy. When the Balrog came on screen the first time I saw it, I actually had to pause the DVD so I could spend five minutes laughing. On the other hand, the Kung Fu Panda series and Rango are my favourite animated movies which are actually well-made [Smile]

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heehee, another brony here ^_^ Seem to be lots of us on ST, which pleases me. Lauren Faust is pretty amazingly creative. The show is so well written and the characters are great! I am 19 and went as Pinkie Pie to a halloween frat party.

I also love Adventure Time and Regular Show. Well written cartoons are ageless [Smile]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

mizchastain, re horror manga: have you read Lament of the Lamb (warning: this manga is very very sad)? Horror's not really a genre I enjoy much, so I've not watched/read much horror anime/manga, but LOTL is quite captivating. You may also like 7 Billion Needles or Alien Nine? I really like Blood+, but that's 50 episodes long, so it's a big time investment, also, it's sort of action adventure horror (vampires) rather than creeping sense of unease and dread horror. Do you like Hellboy at all? Also, did you know that there is an OVA (stands for original video animation and means the same thing as direct to video) based on Gyo, one of Junji Ito's works, being released in japan soon?

I love Kung Fu Panda! I'm really looking forward to getting the second movie on DVD when it's gotten cheaper, I wasn't so into Rango, but I do want to give it a second go on DVD (when it gets much cheaper), the visual design in that film was gorgeous.

polyprotic: I love Adventure Time and Regular Show as well, I really wish they'd release them on DVD in season sets. Adventure Time is really visually creative and fun and Regular Show I like because it has the kind of humor you get in Adult Swim shows (as in their originals, there are shows they've aired from other networks and anime that are very different) but without the rather graphic violence that's in a lot of them. It's kind of like Invader Zim in that respect (I'm well aware that Jhonen Vasquez's comics are very graphic).

Animation:

Finished:

Films:

Animal Farm - Fairly faithful adaptation of George Orwell's book, though it changes the ending to make it much more optimistic, I was glad to see this all the way through, it's a quality piece of work that's engaging rather than merely an admirable curiosity. I have some issues with the casting of only pigs as villains (some fat people may find the movie triggering because of this), but it's a powerful and well thought out allegory other than that.

Arthur Christmas - Good enough that it overcame my christmas-film-skepticism, really impressed by the voice acting, was happy that Hugh Laurie is in it as I have a crush on him [Smile] , I cried a lot during this film, but in a good way. I liked all the little lines acknowledging and sympathising with the hazards of being an elf. I'm looking forward to Aardman's next stopmotion film, The Pirates: Band of Misfits/In an Adventure with Scientists, here are some quotes from the trailer "aand some of you are just fish I've dressed up in a hat" "It's a ham! Unite!" (that second one is on a sign visible in the trailer rather than spoken).

The Cat Who Walked by Herself (Russian language with English subtitles) - Beautiful, mesmerising film based on the Rudyard Kipling story, some gender essentialism of the just so story kind, but it's a film that really deserves wider recognition, Disney films succeed as hollywood musicals (not bashing hollywood musicals or Disney films, I like both) this has a genuine literary quality which the best russian works tend to have (and which I was pleasantly surprised to find in The Last Unicorn, which combines that quality with unicorns, thus making for something very awesome, and as one would expect/hope, it was also present in The Adventures of Mark Twain directed by Will Vinton).

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone/Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Japanese with English subs) - These are the first 2 films in a series of 3 or 4 which are collectively a remake of an extremely influential anime series from 1994 called "Neon Genesis Evangelion", I watched the series a long time ago, and then deliberated over whether to see these new films for quite a while, I finally decided that I might actually like them in spite of my reservations due to issues I had with the original series and even if I didn't like them, I wanted to see them anyway because they're such a big deal and because there was still a chance of me liking them that was significantly higher than some other cultural vegetables/big blockbusters (two entirely different, in fact almost opposite concepts that could both probably be applied to Evangelion)...

... I loved them. Two of the best films I've seen all year. Can't wait to see the rest. Fascinating characters, captivatingly shiny fluid visuals, 5.1 sound mix that's one of the best I've ever heard on any anime DVD release. Awesome catchy j-pop ending song by Hikaru Utada. It will trigger some people though.

Les Maitres du Temps (The Time Masters) (French language with English subtitles) - Enjoyable film that I want to give a second chance in the hope that the slight pacing issues will be ironed out, nice 80s synth soundtrack, I really liked the little telepathic gnomes (sorry to disappoint garden gnome fans, but they are alien gnomes and do not look like our earth variety). Matton reminds me of David Bowie in Labyrinth (I love Labyrinth!), liked the visual design, and I thought the portrayal of the communication with the child Piel through the microphone was very clever. Some potentially disturbing moments.

The Sky Crawlers (Japanese language with English subtitles) - Very good, rather sad film similar to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, about people called kildren who don't age or die of diseases, the music is gorgeous and the animation is droolworthy, very nuanced character animation and beautiful designs, the love story aspect was also quite moving, while I'm not personally a fan of his TV work, I'm appreciating Mamoru Oshii's skill as a director and screenwriter more and more as I see works of his that aren't GITS 2: Innocence. Indeed, I don't even think that the original Ghost in the Shell is his best work, and that's a good film. This film will trigger some.

Tales of the Night (French language with English subtitles) - After Princes and Princesses over 10 years ago, Michel Ocelot presents another anthology of 6 short fables with characters all in silhouette and beautiful colourful backgrounds, I saw this at the cinema and it was a delight, I sat there eating my tasty bag (that's right people, the marshmallows were so good that their enchanting nomnomness rubbed off on the packaging... lol not really) of delicious fluffy marshmallows and immersed myself in this stunning kaleidoscope, complete with lovely music in a variety of different cultural styles.

Tangled - (Based on Rapunzel, not a particularly faithful adaptation) So pretty and bright and it's so nice to see Disney making a film that sets a new bar for technical quality again, this film totally nails the storybook look, and it's a charming romance with a appreciably up-to-date portrayal of bad parenting, and at least one awesome song (I Have a Dream is a work of Pythonesque genius), plus the character animation is excellent, with a loose, cartoony feel that's hard to achieve in CGI. That lantern scene was... wow.

Other:

Osamu Tezuka's Short Films - Watched a few from the DVD of his work released by Kimstim, looking forward to watching the rest. Some of the films will be triggering for some.

Continued Watching:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated (finished that first disc)
Steins;Gate (I'll tell you about this show later)

[ 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Totoro counts, but I love that movie. I saw it for the first time when I was probably 10 or 11 and had no idea that other people actually knew that it existed until I was about 14.

and there is a webcomic called Questionable Content, and it is hilarious and ridiculous and realistic and utterly unrealistic, and I love it.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Why would My Neighbour Totoro not count? It's animated. I love it too, I even have a purse with Totoro on it (his ears are getting all frayed lol). It's a very sweet, enchanting movie. I drew a picture of Mei and Satsuki taking a ride on the Totoro flying (and the little ones were in it as well, I copied *not traced* it from a still from the film).

[ 12-18-2011, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorites are
Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Blood+, Digimon, ScoobyDoo, Jimmy Neutron, Bakugan, Dragon Ball(Z,GT) and so many others hurray for animation!!!!!

--------------------
I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence. Theodore Dreiser

Posts: 30 | From: Marion,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH you got me on this one... I love too much of these things.

My Favs consist of:

Naruto, Inuyasha, Fruits Basket, Bleach, Digimon, Wolf's Rain, Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Death Note, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Final Fantasy, Vampire Knight, Sekirei and Blood +... ohh my so many more, and i've read each Manga as well.

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG I LOVE Inu, Bleach, Fullmetal, Sekire, Blood+, they re so good!!

--------------------
I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence. Theodore Dreiser

Posts: 30 | From: Marion,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also LOOOVE Code Geass and Death Note. [Smile]

An anime that I found absolutely hilarious and that I would recommend to just about anyone is Ouran High School Host Club.

Another one that's incredibly fun is Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu? [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(By the way, I should add that my love of anime
totally started with Digimon [Smile] )

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

I'm planning to buy the first Vizbig edition volume of Inuyasha and give it a try, the length is somewhat intimidating (the same reason I haven't started reading One Piece), but I'd like to give it a try. As I noted above, I'm reading the Fruits Basket manga, I'm planning to pick up the anime on DVD too. Wolf's Rain is one of my favourite shows. I finally got all the manga volumes of Death Note (except for Vol 13, but that's really a fanguide with some more information about the Death Note and so on rather than part of the story itself), so I intend to get around to reading it soon (hopefully).

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I like (but Haruhi should be... nicer to Mikuru), I'm really looking forward to seeing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and I wish they hadn't cancelled the u.k. Blu-ray release, guess it's australian import or DVD. Just yesterday I bought the first volume of the Vampire Knight manga, I saw a couple of episodes of the anime when it first came out and I liked the direction, story and characters, but I think I'd rather read the manga. Ouran High School Host Club is extremely funny, I have the anime on DVD and the first 5 volumes of the manga. And I love Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu!?, I keep meaning to import FMP: The Second Raid from the states as for some reason they never released it in the u.k., luckily the latest u.s. Blu-ray release is Region B compatible.

--------------------

Arthur Lexington
Neophyte
Member # 95913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Lexington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOAH! SO MUCH PONI!!!

I too am a brony, and I came here to talk about that.

Ironically, BIG YAY, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmklXgEWres
(Is HTML allowed here? because I know how to use it if it is.)

and Code Geass = Pure awesome.

I modeled a Character (Overlord Kyron) after Zero from the show, it started with a retex into a fan character (I called him Zero X) and snowballed into the antagonist of an independant videogame

FullMetalPanic, personally is alot better than FullMetalAlchemist, having seen the entire series of both.

MAINLY, Im looking forward to:

MLP:FIM Season 3 with more derpy.

Code Geass: The Shattered Land of Akito

and I havent picked up the new Avitar: Legend of Korra yet, anyone watch that?

--------------------
Pax est mendacium, Mundus est mendacium, Fatum Terminatum

Posts: 13 | From: [CLASSIFIED] | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to inject a little Gen X old-school here and suggest (all print) Love and Rockets, Preacher, Sandman, and, in the case you have a really great comics store that has rare-ish archives AND doesn't have the sadly-all-too-common comics-writing-isn't-for-girls issues so many have, Action Girl, a compilation comic that used to be done in Chicago by women comic artists.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Going to inject a little Gen X old-school here and suggest (all print) Love and Rockets, Preacher, Sandman, and, in the case you have a really great comics store that has rare-ish archives AND doesn't have the sadly-all-too-common comics-writing-isn't-for-girls issues so many have, Action Girl, a compilation comic that used to be done in Chicago by women comic artists.

Personally, I could never really get into Preacher (I found it rather unpleasant in a way I couldn't really get past), but I have recently decided to read The Sandman (I got put off by the violence, but after thoroughly enjoying Lenny Henry's reading of Anansi Boys I have a renewed interest in Neil Gaiman's work) and I am planning to pick up Love and Rockets at some point (I have one trade paperback of it called House of Raging Women and I love that).

Films:

Janos Vitez/John the Valiant/Johnny Corncob - Depending on how you view it this may be rather nationalistic, but I feel it's more about the power of myths and the enjoyment of imaginative psychedelic imagery than anything else. Based on a poem, looks like Yellow Submarine but with less bright colours and focusing on the main artistic style of that film rather than a college of styles, this film has gorgeous animation, lots of things morphing into other things and the music is lovely, I was very amused by Johnny's bellbottomed trousers and 70s porn moustache. Trigger warnings for war and some violence.

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Planning to buy this on Blu-ray and then rewatch it.

The Pirates: Band of Misfits/In an Adventure with Scientists - This wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, but I still enjoyed it, I liked how they used a Flight of the Conchords song in the "hero is depressed before they rally themself for the big finish" scene.

Rango - I liked it a lot more when I started watching it for a second time, but for some reason I still haven't finished it (ADHD, excessive internet usage and being busy).

Series:

Adventure Time - They're finally releasing the complete first season on DVD! So excited!

Blood+ - Like Eureka Seven, one of those shows where I really enjoy it when I actually watch an episode and then don't get round to another one for quite a while *sigh*. Well, I'm really enjoying the operatic, gothic feel of the whole thing and I'm planning to marathon it over the next couple of weeks (after I've watched my 7 animated films in 7 days).

Courage the Cowardly Dog - I've now watched the complete first season and I am so importing the second one from australia, Courage is awesome, I love how surreal and inventive and creepy this show is (that episode with the barber named Fred was the creepiest one).

Eureka Seven - This is one of those shows where when I'm watching it I really love it and then I take ages to get round to watching an episode, no idea why... but yeah I'm still really enjoying this, there's a bit of sexist nonsense of the "men have to push ahead in relationships because women don't know what they want" variety in one episode that made me facewall (when a facepalm isn't enough lol), but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the show is on those characters side, and this show has something going for it that I really appreciate, and that's the way the show manages to portray Renton as flawed and sometimes perhaps making the kinds of mistakes that are more common amongst teenagers (of course there are other kinds of mistakes that are more common amongst adults, which the show portrays as well), but still a sympathetic character that you are supposed to care about, the show acknowledges that the adults aren't always right, and that even when they are, that doesn't mean that children's feelings or perspectives are invalid or that they must always be "spoiled" or "brats" rather than humans who have honestly misinterpreted a complicated situation. And sometimes the kids are right and the adults are wrong, and sometimes both people are a mixture of right and wrong, or one is a mixture and the other one's just one of the two, and the show acknowledges all this complexity and portrays it brilliantly. Plus, while the animation is limited to a degree by the TV budget, it's still good for TV and for a show of this length and the artwork is gorgeous.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Finished! Overall I don't rate this quite as highly as the first series, but it's still one of the best anime I've ever seen. Will try and make time to rewatch it at some point, may import the u.s. BD rerelease as I'm pretty sure the show was animated in HD.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - When will they release a season set for this instead of individual volumes? I love this show, but I've put it on the backburner until I've caught up with some other stuff because they will probably release a proper season set eventually so I'm holding out.

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated - Watched the second disc of the singles and I'm still really enjoying the show, the bit where Scooby Doo and Shaggy have a falling out over the latter dating Velma and then Scooby becomes friends with a hand puppet that he operates called Harry was soo funny! And I liked seeing Daphne be a rock star.

Soul Eater - Dropped, but I got store credit for the DVDs at CEX and bought the complete Farscape so hurray!

Osamu Tezuka's Short Films - I'm terrible at getting round to watching short film compilations, but I will make the time to finish this at some point because his films are interesting.

Comics:

One Piece - Bought the first omnibus but don't know if I dare start reading it because there are just so many volumes.

Vampire Knight - Manga dropped [Frown] It's got potential but it didn't grab me enough. The covers are gorgeous though.

...aaand I still haven't finished any of these:

Antique Bakery
Banana Fish
Fruits Basket
Mars
Rurouni Kenshin

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I actually saw Vampire Knight in my university bookstore and had wanted to buy it; and kept going back to it because of the gorgeous covering and the intriguing plotline. But I still have yet to buy it. [Frown] I've purchased one Sailor Moon manga; but absolutely love the series, so I really should buy some. I am currently reading a Pokemon Adventures (Red, Blue, and Green are the main protagonists) manga; which is really good but I'm not reading it as often or as quickly as I have with the Gold and Silver manga (probably because I don't really like Green; and I had started off with the Gold and Silver series and couldn't finish it due to availability).

As far as shows go, I'm currently finishing up watching the end of the Monster Rancher series. I've really loved it so far - the friendship and courage that the group has for one another is nice; and I like to see them going to different areas and camping out. Tiger is by far my favourite. Sometimes they're all a bit too optimistic for me; but I think that's a good quality to put in a "kid's" show - or any show - because it just overemphasizes the "don't give up" and "try and stay positive" themes that I do believe are important.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Anyone ever watch 'Mike, Lu & Og'?

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not watched that before; but based on your quote, I kind of want to look that show up!! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

[Smile] It pretty much sums up the whole cartoon.

--------------------

Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:

My parents collected tons of comics in the '80s, so I have been totally blessed with the presence of the complete run of Sandman, mainly in the form of single issues, and a huge box of Love and Rockets, in my house. I also love MAUS, have found some fun stuff in the RAW comic magazine, and am a total sucker for Alan Moore's Watchmen.

On the more generation-appropriate front, webcomics are a huge part of my life - I read dozens. My favorites are probably Homestuck, Questionable Content, A Softer World, Sinfest (which has gotten delightfully feminist lately), Girl Genius, Girls With Slingshots, Darwin Carmichael is Going to Hell, and anything by Megan Rose Gedris.

One of my partners also recently convinced me to watch Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I am totally hooked. They are easily my favorite cartoon shows ever, seconded only by Daria.

Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Just finished watching the second season of Higurashi When They Cry.

Also finished watching Elfen Lied.

Both are extremely graphic in terms of blood and gore so I wouldn't recommend them to everyone.

But I like them because they deal with very deep, complex issues and themes that typical anime won't even mention.

[ 06-29-2012, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Sans ]

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

quote:
Originally posted by Sans:
Just finished watching the second season of Higurashi When They Cry.

Also finished watching Elfen Lied.

Both are extremely graphic in terms of blood and gore so I wouldn't recommend them to everyone.

But I like them because they deal with very deep, complex issues and themes that typical anime won't even mention.

Indeed, I would totally watch them if they weren't so graphically violent as they seem like interesting shows (I am anti-censorship and I don't make assumptions about people who like graphically bloody stuff, but I personally find it upsetting so tend to avoid it, for that reason I also haven't watched Baccano! or Berserk, though both are shows that otherwise really appeal to me. Akira is one of my favourite films though, just got it on BD and am sooo looking forward to watching it when I get back from my mum's house).

Will post about recent watches later.

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

I've watched/bought a lot of american stuff recently, and I've decided to focus on anime for a while because one day I probably won't be able to read subtitles so I want to watch plenty of subtitled stuff now, as I don't like dubs.

Watched some more stuff:

Series:

Blood+ - Made some substantial progress but I haven't finished it yet. I'm getting a lot out of watching it though, I like how it's gradually building things up layer after layer.

Cardcaptor Sakura - They are releasing the whole series in australia! I never got the whole american release so I'm totally importing this! It'll have the whole series, uncut, in Japanese with English subtitles and remastered video. I don't think they're releasing the movies, but I do have the american original language unedited releases of both of those, luckily. Hopefully they will get them for people who don't have them yet.

Chowder - This is so cute and colourful, I love Chowder, he's soo adorable and it's a really fun, funny show. I hope they release season sets for it.

Eureka Seven - I finished another disc, and I've decided to watch the rest of this show over the next however long it takes at a rate of five episodes a day.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - I found out that the third season is available on DVD in australia, I am so buying that!

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Finally got it and watched it, it was great, it was darker than the other seasons but that's not a bad thing here. My only issue with the series is that I feel like the director they replaced Koichi Chigira with for Fumoffu and this show insults Tessa as a character somewhat (they portray her in a less likeable way than the first season did, making her seem "ditzy"). Still, the production values were great and there were some shocking plot developments this season, with a high standard of character interaction and dialogue (the script was well crafted).

Fullmetal Alchemist - I'm looking forward to the release of the Brotherhood OVAs (hopefully on BD) in the u.k., really want to see them, and they're rereleasing Conqueror of Shamballa on BD so I'm going to get that too.

The Marvellous Misadventures of Flapjack - I love how victorian this feels, it's grimy and dark like the depths of the sea while still being fairly lighthearted, I'll admit it made me want candy so much that I went out and bought all my favourite sweets from when I was a child. I hope they release season sets for this too.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I found out they're releasing the whole first season in order on individual discs (5 single disc releases to make up the whole set) in australia so I'm going to import it - though I may have missed my chance to get the artbox they released with the first volume [Frown] Still, so much pony!

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Decided to try and rewatch it, and am finding it as addictive as the first time, just hope it doesn't make me depressed again. It really is a beautiful, compelling show, and it's so rare to find anything in film and TV that looks sincerely at depression and acknowledges that you can't just pull yourself together that it still feels revolutionary even now.

The Powerpuff Girls - I watched the first season and I loved it, the girls have so much personality (and Bubbles is adorable), some of the episodes are genuinely unnerving, some are just really funny, and the action sequences are thrillingly dynamic.

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated - I ordered the rest of the first season and have watched the first twelve episodes now, I hope the second half of the first season arrives soon and I am going to buy the first half of the second season when it is released. I love the bit where Scooby sees Shaggy and Velma kissing and then he says "I'm not stupid. Shaggy, are you... cheating on me?!" Major lolz.

Soul Eater - I may have changed my mind about this show again, I wish it were streaming on Funimation's u.k. youtube channel so I could check it out for free. The episode about the school test is comedy gold, especially Patty making a paper (origami?) giraffe out of her test paper and then wrestling it!

Steins;Gate - Funimation is releasing it this year, hooray! I hope they'll do BDs for the u.k., but regardless I'm soo excited that they're releasing it. I can't wait to tell you all about it when I finally watch the whole thing!

Films:

Akira - Looks amazing on BD, remains a powerful, vivid, kinetic, nightmarish vision of the future, captivating (and blackly hilarious in places). Trigger warnings for strong gore and violence against women.

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone/Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Japanese with English subs) - Double dipped on BD editions for both films, have watched the first one and it looks gorgeous, they also seem to finally be edging towards the theatrical release of the third film in the quadrilogy, I doubt they'll show it at my local cinema but hopefully they'll at least show it in london so I can travel up with someone to see it. At the very least, I expect there'll be a u.k. BD release of the film.

Rango - Finally watched the whole film, really enjoyed it, I loved how dusty and gritty it looked and the voice cast was excellent, great comic timing and a witty script too.

Tales of the Night - Finally coming out on DVD in the u.k.! I would have imported the french Blu-ray, but it doesn't have any English subtitles [Frown]

Comics:

Korgi - I finished the first volume ages ago, and plan to buy more at some point as it is incredibly cute. It's all about a fairytale world where humans live with giant welsh corgis and there's baddies who tend to be trolls as well.

Still haven't finished any of these:

Antique Bakery
Banana Fish
Fruits Basket
Mars
Rurouni Kenshin

And have started:

Blue Exorcist
Cardcaptor Sakura
Kimi ni Todoke
Pluto

[ 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

(Hey, Jill! I prefer subtitled over dubs too! ) [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Jill2000Plus, I have watched all of Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon; although I've watched some series translated into English (which is somewhat of a bummer, since I know the original meanings are often lost in translation or just switched over to other dialogues); and some of the latter series (SuperS, Sailor Stars) in Japanese with English subtitles. as Sans has said, I really prefer subtitles over dubs. It is great to have it translated into English, but I love hearing the original language (especially Japanese: those words, accents, and conversations always fascinate me now) and seeing the original and true storyline. I want to watch Monster Rancher in subtitles, but that will only happen once I find it!

I watched Powerpuff Girls when I was younger, but I do agree that some of the stuff is weird! It's a cute series though, and ironically, the theme song was in my head a while back. [Wink] "CHEMICAL X!!!!"

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Just as a clarification, what I meant by "unnerving" WRT The Powerpuff Girls is that there are some episodes that are actually quite creepy/scary, like the one where Him posesses Bubbles' stuffed toy Octi. So far, while there was the odd episode that I thought didn't work quite as well as they usually do, I haven't seen any I thought were bad. Also, the theme song sounds great if you have a TV with decent speakers, I love the funky bass (I have a good TV which I use the built-in speakers with because I don't have the money or space for surround sound speakers and an A/V reciever).

I realised that part of why I've been watching a lot of american stuff is because it's more lighthearted, on average, than japanese anime (the best stuff, at least), and I need some comfort at the moment. There are some really good lighthearted anime, and it's not like american series can't do dramatic and serious well, but talking in terms of averages I think my statement is fair. Though I think it's partly a matter of what's available on DVD, sometimes I forget there are quite a few gentler/nicer anime that aren't available in the u.k., u.s. or australia.

I watched lots of episodes of TMMOFlapjack and Chowder, and the first three episodes of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, I enjoyed them all, though I wish Chowder (the character, not the show) wasn't sexist, cause it's great to have a fat kid as the main character in a show and I don't have an issue with his character otherwise, but, yeah. Flapjack, on the other hand, really is a lovely person, and in fact I think that show has a pretty anti-judging people by their looks attitude. Also, Mr Herriman (from FHFIF) is practically a fascist, who can actually wipe their butt clean after a number 2 with two sheets of toilet paper? Seeing as how his own behaviour is obsessive compulsive, he should have more understanding for other people not being able to do things super efficiently. On the bright side, I love Eduardo, he's so cuddly and cute and sweet! And Bloo is hilarious even if he is kind of a pain in the butt. Wilt and Coco rock too. And Mac seems pretty cool. Frankie's the grown up, so that reduces her likeability factor, but she's an interesting character.

This is kind of a slight diversion from the main point of the thread, but I am gradually building a collection of My Little Ponies from the new show, I like how the individual ponies are great stocking filler toys, they aren't expensive (at least not in the u.k., they're less than a fiver each at Tesco's) but they're really cool. Of course the ones with accessories are pricier though (I have the Sweetie Belle and Fluttershy train carriages, I'm that smitten with the show and toys).

[ 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I'm sorry, I didn't mean "weird" in a bad way! I've actually seen that episode I think, and found it quite scary!

I hope you are doing well, and that you are having a good day! I agree that some American cartoons are really lighthearted, and I often watch them if I'm feeling bad. I hope you're feeling better!

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for my line(s)! [Smile]

"unique is normal,
normal is weird,
weird is good"!

Let's go! -grin-

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.