Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Your Super-Empowering Theme Song(s)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Super-Empowering Theme Song(s)
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say you're taking a huge step, coming out on the other side of something intensely challenging or really bad. You need a little help getting your mojo revved up, but also want to celebrate your positive change or movement.

If you're someone who likes music or finds a personal soundtrack important, chances are you've got a tune or two for just these kinds of moments. If so, what is it?

Share because you're awesome, but also because some other folks may not have found that magical tune yet, and you just might turn them on to exactly the one they need. [Smile]

A few of my faves for this purpose?
• Here Come the Sun - The Beatles
• Feeling Good - Nina Simone
• Heroes -David Bowie
• Talkin' Bout a Revolution - Tracy Chapman
• Any Way You Want It - Journey
• Wig in a Box - Hedwig and the Angry Inch Soundtrack

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this Heather,

Here are some of mine for this move of mine out of hell city to the capital!

Stronger Woman: Jewel
Fast Car: Tracy Chapman
Because I am queen: India Arie
Heavens my home: Sam & Ruby
Raise your glass: Pink
Ignorance: Paramore
Take me anywhere: Tegan & Sara
You've got the love: Florence and the machine
Breathe: Anna Nalick.

There are so many more... but there are a few.

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and I am also feeling the song "skyscraper" right now, the words totally fit.
Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to think about this one some more. But off the top of my head, the song that was really inspiring to me when I was coming out of an unhealthy relationship was Battle for the Sun by Placebo.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Mexico - The Cinematics
Friday I'm In Love - The Cure
Body Shot - Electric Six
Red Socks Pugie - Foals
What You Waiting For? - Franz Ferdinand's cover of Gwen Stefani's original
Hellhole Ratrace - Girls
Catch You Catch Me - Gumi
Daft Punk is Playing at My House - LCD Soundsystem
It's the End of the World as We Know It - R.E.M.
Beautiful World - Hikaru Utada

That song from Singin' in the Rain that goes "good mornin', good mornin', it's great to stay up late, good mornin' good mornin' to you"

The opening theme from Future Boy Conan

And the song from the end of the Japanese version of Kiki's Delivery Service.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LizC
Neophyte
Member # 96002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit of a classic rock and hair rock buff, so I think it shows, but;

Rock of Ages - Def Leppard
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC (ironically enough, this song really makes me feel good about my body)
Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore - Bon Jovi
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
She's Country - Jason Aldean
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'n Roses
So What - Pink

Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My songs might sound a bit odd to some; and there are probably many more, but here are a few:

Majesty (Here I Am) - Delirious
Best I Can - Rush
Monster Rancher Theme (it perks me up so often!)
So What - Pink
Day Tripper - The Beatles (like Monster Rancher, this song perks me up and just makes me feel better about myself in some way.)

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess my feelings on the Hetalia song "Pub and Go!" would fall under that heading [Smile] Translation of the first verse: "Today it rains, yesterday it rained, and I bet my hat tomorrow it will rain yet again, but umbrellas aren't for me, as you can see I am a British gentleman". I think it's cute. Then there's Gorillaz' "5/4" and "White Flag", Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" and "Let Me Blow Ya Mind", Bjork's "Army of Me" and Skunk Anansie's "Search And Destroy". (Yes, I like the Sucker Punch soundtrack.) And the Harry Potter theme tune - guess it appeals to my inner child. And 2NE1's "I Am The Best", even though I don't actually understand any of it.
Posts: 461 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by copper86:

Best I Can - Rush

My favourite band ever! (My screen name used to be RaeRay2112!) You've got that one in my head now; loving the sig! New album on the way. [Smile]

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE 2112! I listened to that, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, and probably others before or after exams; or just to hype me up while I was walking around. Best I Can is a really amazing song! My brother is a huge Rush fan but I don't think he's anticipating their new album; but I'm sure we'll hear some of their songs anyway! [Smile] And oh my goodness, Working Man is amazing! When my brother's band plays that cover, I go absolutely nuts!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MudPuppy
Neophyte
Member # 37153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MudPuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rise to Me by The Decemberists. [Smile]

--------------------
"We held on to hopes of better days coming/ And when we did we were right!"

Posts: 30 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burdened with glorious booty
Activist
Member # 93241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burdened with glorious booty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tastes are so damn mixed. I often find some upbeat rock or metal to be quite good for getting hyped up about something - either that, or some electronic dance/dubstep. These songs get me SO DAMN HYPED.

Princes of the Universe - Queen (seriously, stick this song on when you're walking anywhere, and you WILL feel like the most awesome person in the world)
Unholy Warcry - Rhapsody
Theme from Skyrim
Bring it! (Snakes on a place) - Cobra Starship
Song of Storms - remixes by Ephixa and The Living Tombstone
This war is ours - Escape the fate
Tenderoni - Kele
Live and Learn/Open your heart - Crush 40 (both these songs are the final boss themes for Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 - it's probably really nerdy of me, but those songs have memories for me)
Sonic Boom - Crush 40 vs Cash Cash (I almost didn't include this, but the lyrics speak for themselve - "It's all right, take a chance, 'cos there is no circumstance that you can't handle")

[ 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Derpy Hooves ]

--------------------
Ta-da!

Posts: 130 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsygirl643     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heroes is a great one! And it was in Moulin Rouge which is one of my favorite films [Smile]

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun-Cyndi Lauper: yay for feel good 80's music!

Hold On- Alabama Shakes: great for when you feel you don't know what you're doing in life

Electric Feel-MGMT: this song is seriously sexy

We Are Golden- Mika: very empowering for youth who feel misunderstood!

Born This Way-Gaga :made me cry the first time I heard it!

Posts: 58 | From: california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.